Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What cause overheating, especially with A/C in hot weather? It has only 30,000 miles . Everything seems to work fine in the car, as far as fans .

·
Super Moderator
13,951 Posts
Could you provide more details?

Where do you live and what is the outside temperature when the "overheating" occurs?

What is your engine's temperature reading when the car "overheats?" (Note- I had a 20+ mile drive today and it was running an even 203 degrees. I hit some traffic and it got up to 216. At idle it will start to run hot... somewhere up to around 220. If you are moving at a modest speed, you should see temps in the low 200s).

Does the overheating occur in city or stop and go traffic?

Does your car have the stock thermostat?

Did you recently replace the coolant? If so, you may have a bubble in the system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car still all original, 30,00 miles . I bought it 3 month ago from Texas and shipped it overseas. The outside temperature was in the 60's. It was running normal. Now the outside temperature is in 90's, I started having the overheat temperature. Should I chandler the thermostat to a lower temperature or need to replace the radiator to a bigger one ! I am really confused. I don't know where to start.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Instead of starting to modify the car you need to find the actual problem. It should run fine in 90 degree temperatures as designed. First and cheapest attempt at fixing would be to change out the thermostat. If the car is a 2010 it is time to change the antifreeze anyway.
Take the thermostat out and put it in water on the stove. Verify it opens at about 205 degrees F.

·
Registered
14,396 Posts
Stop and go or highway? Still haven't answered that.

Overheat at low speed is usually airflow issues, overheat on highway usually waterflow, ie: pump, stat, etc.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts