Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SRT Rack and Pinion [Pressure Relief Valve] : Releasing pressure on corners/turns.

I have been encountering an issue with my 2010 Challenger SRT8, ever since I purchased it back in December 2010. Below, is my original description as well the outcome (source of the problem). It turns out that this may also impact you, if your are an SRT8 owner, and have a manual transmission:

This issue occurs upon taking a corner/turn at around 10+ MPH. The harder and faster the turn, the worse the outcome generated. When turning under these conditions, a nasty sound emanates from the vehicle (to me it sounds like rubber causing friction against metal), but that was ruled out, the wheels have plenty of leeway.

At this point, resistance is experienced, causing the vehicle to pull back (decelerate) when turning at lower speeds, and a literal jerk to the back-end can be experienced at higher speeds. The vehicle is not really being driven hard or out of control, it is just typical everyday driving under these circumstances, so there is no reason for something to be engaging.

To quickly reproduce the problem, you can simply perform some tightly turned figure eights in a parking lot at 10+MPH. It should also be mentioned, that this issue will still remain even after disabling ESP, by way of the “key-trick” or via a Diablo Predator.

==============

Below is what technicians initially found during their investigation (unfortunately this was not related to the problem, but I'm glad they found it):

- Technician found metal in the power steering fluid in the reservoir.
- The power steering pump was also found to be internally coming apart, causing metal to enter the power steering rack & pinion.

===============

Finally, after further investigation, technicians finally discovered the root cause, here is their report:

RE-ROAD TESTED, FOUND NOISE IS STILL PRESENT. CONTACTED STAR AND NO PREVIOUS ISSUES FOUND. ROAD TEST AND COMPARED TO ANOTHER 2010 CHALLENGER AND IT ALSO MAKES THE SAME NOISE.

CONTACTED STAR - ENGINEERING STATES THAT THE SRT RACK AND PINION HAS A PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE THAT RELEASES PRESSURE QUICKLY AFTER AN AGGRESSIVE OR QUICK TURN. THIS WAS NOTED TO BE A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THE SRT.

===============

It appears that this isn't isolated to just my vehicle, so I'd be very interested in knowing if anyone else has encountered this problem. I've owned other SRT(s) and have never had to deal with anything like this, it takes away from enjoying some good cornering. If you have any input, it would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
jerk at the back? maybe rear diff is always staying locked and not slipping the way it should when doing a tight corner.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Either get a set of chassis ears or have the dealership use them. It's the only way to track down that type of noise.

Do you break during curves? What happens with and without breaking? Does the ESP light flicker at all? Have they inspected the breaks? Perhaps one is slightly misaligned causing a rubbing against the disk.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Powersteering noise was exactly the thing I was going to suggest before getting to the end of this thread!

Recently I heard a strange noise from my RT as I was steering hard in a tight turn under load. That's the only time I heard something like that, but my hunch was I heard the grind of a powersteering pump. I'm now inclined to check my fluid for anything "funny" in there...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glad you were able to find the problem. I know how frustrating thos mysteries can be.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Wow, didn't expect that one. Good to know!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts