Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 2013 Challenger SXT 3.6. Yesterday, the temperature gauge was running hot and I took the car to a local, reputable mechanic. They found a crack in the radiator and replaced it along with the thermostat and did a coolant flush and fill. (The original coolant in the car when I purchased it new was orange. The dealer flushed it for me at 80k and replaced it with orange) It now has 110k. The coolant that the shop put back in the car yesterday is a green Valvoline coolant. I called the shop and questioned this and he said it was okay. I’m wondering what your opinions are? Is the green coolant okay or do I need to have it flushed and filled with Mopar approved orange coolant?

I’m reminiscent of the days with the Dexcool issues on GM cars and don’t want to be replacing gaskets on this thing. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've run into this with my 5.7L Charger... use the MOPAR approved coolant, NOT the garbage universals that shops will carry. I know this is a pain for you to do now, I've had to do it myself before. Had a shop put in some Global Peak shit that wasn't approved by mopar (I checked), and had them refund me and I drained coolant, flushed and put in MOPAR orange (HOAT blend). Mopar used HOAT from 1999 to 2013, and they switched to an OAT formula in 2013. Check your owners manual to be sure, but make sure you put the right formula in there, and I would recommend using MOPAR always, and not that other crap. Dealers carry the coolant, you can buy right from them and have shop put it in, or put it in yourself.

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
Your local reputable mechanic used the wrong coolant and this is a colossal screwup. Now everytime you add coolant you have to remember to use the same wrong coolant again. How hard would it have been for him to call the dealership and ask if he didn't know? And do we even know that a proper flush was done as the correct OAT coolant absolutely cannot be mixed with green. I'd head back to this mechanic and have him flush the system several times and refill with the correct Mopar coolant. If he won't honor his mistake you will have to bring it somewhere else or do it yourself, no way would I let this go. Total stupidity on his part. No car uses green coolant any more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
Your local reputable mechanic used the wrong coolant and this is a colossal screwup. Now everytime you add coolant you have to remember to use the same wrong coolant again. How hard would it have been for him to call the dealership and ask if he didn't know? And do we even know that a proper flush was done as the correct OAT coolant absolutely cannot be mixed with green. I'd head back to this mechanic and have him flush the system several times and refill with the correct Mopar coolant. If he won't honor his mistake you will have to bring it somewhere else or do it yourself, no way would I let this go. Total stupidity on his part. No car uses green coolant any more.

Yeah most shops just carry some horseshit universal shit, and your average consumer (a complete mouthbreathing idiot when it comes to vehicles, or in general, dealers choice) has no idea the difference (or likely cares).

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,873 Posts
Take a close look at the coolant reservoir tank itself. There should be a decal on it specifying which coolant (OAT or HOAT) that your car came with.

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
2013 was the first year for the OAT coolant and all FCA passenger vehicles beginning with model year 2013 used OAT, the same coolant still being used today. So if it's a 2013 or newer, it needs OAT without question.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for your responses. I called the shop today to request my money back for the flush and he fought with me. He just received 1 star reviews from me on Google and Yelp. I’ll be spending some time on it Saturday flushing the system and replacing it with the recommended coolant. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts