Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a challenger SXT, i have a concern:
I have notice something for a week or so now, i have sxt challenger 2015
1. The car power is lost like it’s suffocating when you press the gas pedal.
2. If you are on highway and press slightly hard not all the way it can make on 3rd gear from 50km to 100km on just the 3rd gear.
3. If you are behind some one and for example on 90-100km speed and push a little it can get on 7th gear from 90 to 135km and stay a for while on the 7th gear without shifting to the 8th gear.
Is this normal or this is a way of driving habits?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a challenger SXT, i have a concern:
I have notice something for a week or so now, i have sxt challenger 2015
1. The car power is lost like it’s suffocating when you press the gas pedal.
2. If you are on highway and press slightly hard not all the way it can make on 3rd gear from 50km to 100km on just the 3rd gear.
3. If you are behind some one and for example on 90-100km speed and push a little it can get on 7th gear from 90 to 135km and stay a for while on the 7th gear without shifting to the 8th gear.
4. On highway and full speed the engine oil pressure is 41 PSI and on idle 24 PSI
Is this normal or this is a way of driving habits?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
Is the CEL on? Even if it is not on with a suitable OBD2 scan tool one can still check for pending OBD2 error codes. If there are any this can provide a clue as to what might be going on.

Not sure what the SXT normal oil pressure is by 41psi at I guess around 2K or more RPMs is "low" based on my experience with other cars and a 2018 Scat Pack, 2018 Hellcat, and a 2020 Scat Pack. Yeah, the engines are different but I would expect oil pressure to be nearer 60psi at any RPMs over around 2K.

Hot idle oil pressure can be in the 24psi range. At 212F -- the temperature at which I consider the oil at its working temperature -- with one of my previous cars I have seen it at 1.5 bar (around 21psi), at 38psi for my Hellcat, and at 30psi for my 2020 Scat Pack.

Not sure there's a connection between the oil pressure and the other behavior other than if the engine can't obtain "high" RPMs -- much above idle "high" -- it will not develop high(er) oil pressure.

The question I would have is what oil (and filter) was used?

For engine performance or lack of it I'm going with insufficient fuel or insufficient air. Of the two possibilities I'd be more inclined to blame lack of sufficient air and focus on that.

This means you need to check the air filter and unless it is pretty darn clean still replace it. Be careful you do not let any "dirt" from the filter fall into the air box. Be sure you buy the right filter and install it correctly.

(As an aside if the car is equipped with a cabin air filter this should be checked at the same time as as the engine air filter.)

But the fuel system is still on the list of suspects. With other brands of cars behavior similar to what you report is a sign of in vehicles with direct fuel injection the low pressure fuel pump is failing. In a car with low pressure fuel injection -- which IIRC the SXT has -- a failing fuel pump -- one that say doesn't run at its normal speed -- can have the engine low on fuel pressure/supply. However, the engine controller would compensate and "widen" the fuel injector pulses but in doing so would almost certainly trigger a CEL and long one or more error codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the CEL on? Even if it is not on with a suitable OBD2 scan tool one can still check for pending OBD2 error codes. If there are any this can provide a clue as to what might be going on.

Not sure what the SXT normal oil pressure is by 41psi at I guess around 2K or more RPMs is "low" based on my experience with other cars and a 2018 Scat Pack, 2018 Hellcat, and a 2020 Scat Pack. Yeah, the engines are different but I would expect oil pressure to be nearer 60psi at any RPMs over around 2K.

Hot idle oil pressure can be in the 24psi range. At 212F -- the temperature at which I consider the oil at its working temperature -- with one of my previous cars I have seen it at 1.5 bar (around 21psi), at 38psi for my Hellcat, and at 30psi for my 2020 Scat Pack.

Not sure there's a connection between the oil pressure and the other behavior other than if the engine can't obtain "high" RPMs -- much above idle "high" -- it will not develop high(er) oil pressure.

The question I would have is what oil (and filter) was used?

For engine performance or lack of it I'm going with insufficient fuel or insufficient air. Of the two possibilities I'd be more inclined to blame lack of sufficient air and focus on that.

This means you need to check the air filter and unless it is pretty darn clean still replace it. Be careful you do not let any "dirt" from the filter fall into the air box. Be sure you buy the right filter and install it correctly.

(As an aside if the car is equipped with a cabin air filter this should be checked at the same time as as the engine air filter.)

But the fuel system is still on the list of suspects. With other brands of cars behavior similar to what you report is a sign of in vehicles with direct fuel injection the low pressure fuel pump is failing. In a car with low pressure fuel injection -- which IIRC the SXT has -- a failing fuel pump -- one that say doesn't run at its normal speed -- can have the engine low on fuel pressure/supply. However, the engine controller would compensate and "widen" the fuel injector pulses but in doing so would almost certainly trigger a CEL and long one or more error codes.
The engine oil used was Mopar 5w-20 and oiltrr from mopar as well as recommended in the manual, i recently checked the air filter it was clean and only made around 20k miles there was no issue with that, i wanted to change the air filter to the normal K&N air filter ones, and next time i will put mobil 1 engine oil extreme performance (high milage) and check again, but i suspected the insufficient air as well
But for now is the numbers of the gears and ao sound alright or?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
The engine oil used was Mopar 5w-20 and oiltrr from mopar as well as recommended in the manual, i recently checked the air filter it was clean and only made around 20k miles there was no issue with that, i wanted to change the air filter to the normal K&N air filter ones, and next time i will put mobil 1 engine oil extreme performance (high milage) and check again, but i suspected the insufficient air as well
But for now is the numbers of the gears and ao sound alright or?
At 20K miles if I went to the trouble to pull the filter out I'd just change it. I'd use the factory filter too not anything aftermarket.

Do not know about the SXT but for my Hellcat the filter service interval was 20K miles.

My Hellcat engine air filter was dirty enough at 27.4K miles -- yeah, I lost track of miles and let this go too long -- to when after it was replaced the engine ran better. If one lives in a particularly dusty area -- I have driven through dust/mini sand storms in the southwest (not with the Hellcat but with other cars) -- the filter can require changing at even lower miles.

My advice is to just stick with the oil Dodge/Mopar recommends. "High Mileage" oils is just some marketing BS. I have driven engines to over 300K miles and the engine was fine with the factory recommended oil. If in the very rare event the engine is in such shape the factory oil proves to be "inadequate" a high mileage oil ain't going to help.

I was responding to the issue of the engine "feeling" like it was suffocating.

I'm not familiar with SXT to know of the speed/gear examples you provide are within normal behavior or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts