Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be some good first upgrades on my sxt? I'm still in highschool and this is my first car. So far all I have done has been adding dual stripes and a few interior accessories. Not sure if buying things like a CAI and tuner are really worth it or if I should just continue saving my money and eventually either supercharge or upgrade to an rt. Any comments are appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
You've got a great car. I'd say enjoy it and just do some appearance mods.
Save your money and upgrade later.
If you really want to know what the best bang for your money is as far as performance, it's the Diablo sport intune followed by front and rear braces. CAI and exhaust are mostly for sound. Not much gain there. Good luck

And yes, use the search feature. You can learn a whole lot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Ive done most of the available sxt mods and tuner and arguably exhaust are the best 2 mods for their price. Things like ported intake, cai, and ported tb do very little for performance and are pretty pricey.

If I was on a smaller budget id get an exhaust for sound and tuner for better driving experience. Then save money for when tb/sc comes out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Define "worth it."

Also, the year of the car would help.

And, if you use the search function, you'll find a million threads on this very topic.
To me the upgrades would be "worth it" if there were noticable performance gains for the money I have saved which is around $3000. My car is a 2012 sxt.

·
Registered
508 Posts
For me I ended up using the Hypertech Interceptor, over the Diablo. At my time of purchase, I just could not justify the money for a Diablo. I also have the Airaid CAI, and had a Mopar prior to the Airaid, the performance increase is not all that noticable, did see a small increase in fuel economy. I still have the stock exhaust, and for me the sound of the CAI, coupled with the exhaust gives the car a nice tone. If you have the base SXT, the 2:65 gears, are not going to get you moving all that great. Some have done a gear change, but it is pricey. Plan your mods carefully and with what you are wanting out of the car, just remember it is a 6, so don't be expecting any big power gains.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
go for appearance mods over performance mods is my recommendation.
real "noticeable" performance gains will only come with forced induction i.e. $$$$$$$$
a tuner isn't a bad idea however because if you go FI down the line you'll need it anyway

the six banger challenger was designed to be affordable, drive respectably, get good mileage, and look bad A while doing it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would say the best upgrade you could do for your Challenger would be the appearance mods to start, and then work on getting performance later. The only performance pieces I would say right away would be the tuner and exhaust. I started with an SXT Plus and since have added a spoiler (go wing), 392 chin, Mygig radio, and looking into 20'' wheels.

As the others have said, keep it realistic that it is a 6 cyl. Any performance mods you get will help but won't make it a "monster". I've had a 10 R/T Classic and I honestly feel as though the 3.6 is comparable in power. I will say one big difference is the torque and the V8 rumble. Do what makes you happy though. It's your car and not everyone will like what you choose to do with it.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
I also have an SXT and it really comes up to what you believe to be "worth it" and what your needs for the car are..If you want more performance options engine wise save and buy an R/T if you dont mind the V6's lack of performance options keep it.

Ive been torn on the exact same case for literally a year. Put it this way... The things i want to do to my car would cost the same to upgrade to an R/T brand new or more. lol

Also, are you driving your car daily and rain, shine, snow? that could contribute to the deciding factor such as.. do i want to buy a new R/T and daily drive it... or do I want to put 10k suspension, 4k brakes, 2k wheels on my SXT just to destroy the parts in the snow lol

Shifty

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also have an SXT and it really comes up to what you believe to be "worth it" and what your needs for the car are..If you want more performance options engine wise save and buy an R/T if you dont mind the V6's lack of performance options keep it.

Ive been torn on the exact same case for literally a year. Put it this way... The things i want to do to my car would cost the same to upgrade to an R/T brand new or more. lol

Also, are you driving your car daily and rain, shine, snow? that could contribute to the deciding factor such as.. do i want to buy a new R/T and daily drive it... or do I want to put 10k suspension, 4k brakes, 2k wheels on my SXT just to destroy the parts in the snow lol

Shifty

Yep exactly how I feel about it. I think about all the money it would cost to upgrade parts and realize I could probably trade in and use that extra money to get an rt. Then it would just be dealing with higher insurance and gas!lol it's a nice car either way and fun to drive

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just my 2 cents as I was in my senior year of high school when I got my 2012 sxt ss/t, and I personally plan to make this car something special in looks and performance. To me I find a forced inducted v6 something to be heard of as there is only a few out there that have gone the extra mile to do so! As well imagine the look on people face when you run quarter mile times comparable to the big brother v8s!

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Just my 2 cents as I was in my senior year of high school when I got my 2012 sxt ss/t, and I personally plan to make this car something special in looks and performance. To me I find a forced inducted v6 something to be heard of as there is only a few out there that have gone the extra mile to do so! As well imagine

the look on people face when you run quarter mile times comparable to the big brother v8s!
You gonna spend $15k minimum to be comparable to the v8s when you can get a RT for $5k more?
Did you buy your car to please yourself or others?
And what's a sxt ss/t?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Don't waste your time on Perfromance mods with the SXT. Its fast enough to feel good, but you won't win any races. If you're wanting to race just upgrade to an Srt8 and stop wasting your time trying to build a V6 into a monster.

I personally had the money to buy an SRT8, but I'm not a racer. I bought the SXT because its fast, looks better than other muscle cars and saves gas. Don't overspend on performance mods because you'll end up paying more than SRT8 owners to get the same speed/ power

·
Premium Member
552 Posts

·
Banned
290 Posts
A V6 CAN be really fast, make no mistake. However on a high school budget....unless you got loaded parents. In that case I'd just ask for an R/T or SRT8. Tell them you'll get the manual so you won't text while driving, and you'll be safer.

·
Registered
605 Posts
And what's a sxt ss/t?

It's basically an sxt with the r/t's suspension. Really improves the sxt's handling.

In terms of performance upgrades, I would do a reasonably priced cai to improve the sound and a tuner to add some hp and better throttle response. You could pull this off for 500 bucks.

Then focus on tweaking its looks to your liking. So many directions you could go here!

I agree with the other posters regarding the six. Don't try to make it what it's not. It's already a helluva car for the money!

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Yep exactly how I feel about it. I think about all the money it would cost to upgrade parts and realize I could probably trade in and use that extra money to get an rt. Then it would just be dealing with higher insurance and gas!lol it's a nice car either way and fun to drive
Well, Depending on your insurance it could go down.
When my brother went from a 2010 2LT RS Camaro to a 2011 2SS RS Camaro. It Went down.
Now That he is 21 and owns a 98 Skyline, since it is the only one in Eastern Canada his age isnt a factor. Its all about how many of them are on the road and your age and driving record. lol

As for gas, some of my clubs R/Ts get better mileage than me in my SXT.

Shifty

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, Depending on your insurance it could go down.
When my brother went from a 2010 2LT RS Camaro to a 2011 2SS RS Camaro. It Went down.
Now That he is 21 and owns a 98 Skyline, since it is the only one in Eastern Canada his age isnt a factor. Its all about how many of them are on the road and your age and driving record. lol

As for gas, some of my clubs R/Ts get better mileage than me in my SXT.

Shifty
Thanks for the info! I'm only 16 and turning 17 in two weeks, so far no tickets or problems lol. I should have looked into insurance cost more and compared cost for the sxt and rt before buying it. My patents also didn't want me to buy an rt because they thought it had too much power for a new driver! Haha no such thing as too much power in my opinion! But for a v6 I'm still I'm impressed with the sxt.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'm only 16 and turning 17 in two weeks, so far no tickets or problems lol. I should have looked into insurance cost more and compared cost for the sxt and rt before buying it. My patents also didn't want me to buy an rt because they thought it had too much power for a new driver! Haha no such thing as too much power in my opinion! But for a v6 I'm still I'm impressed with the sxt.
People will say that all the time. It all comes down to how mature you are while driving it and if YOU can handle it... Ive driven a
2011 SXT 5 Speed (Mine and VERY ROUGH)
1998 R34 GTT Skyline (STUPID QUICK)
2010 SRT8 5 Speed(on AutoCross)
2010 R/T 6 Speed "Around a Parking Lot, Flooring It."
2010 2LT Camaro AutoMatic
2011 2SS Camaro Manual
2009 BMW 328i

and honestly.. Ive been fine in them all. All of these were before I hit 19 bmw, camaros when i was 16 and SRT and RT, R34 Skyline when I was 18 and SXT when i was 17. All comes down to personal control.
If you think the SXT is enough for your needs I say keep it but if you can afford to upgrade to an RT without help "Independence is the key" and feel you could use a bit more, go for it. but if you drive the SXT and think "oh wow this is quick!"and think your almighty... dont upgrade lol.

On a side note that may help...

My brother wanted more power, v8 and manual so sold his V6 and bought a V8 Camaro. Looking back at it he thinks it would have been smarter to keep the V6 and mod it, more financially correct. lol

Shifty

1 - 19 of 19 Posts