Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
so I had a problem with my challenger last Sunday, I was stopped at the red light and as soon as I press the gas pedal the car made a noise and I did not want to accelerate, I put it in the park and it did not stop, so I thought it was a transmission problem, I called the road assistance from dodge and they towed to a nearest dodge dealer in NY, the dodge mechanic called me on Monday saying they would look at the car and if it was not covered by the warranty I would have to pay $ 130 for the diagnostic, I waited for them to call back and never called, today after 1 week I went to the dealer, one of the attendants said they did not look at the car yet and then called the mechanic and he came without giving any attention to me and said only that my car is not covered by the warranty because my car is modified it has aftermarket rims, coilovers and exhaust, he came with a folder of my car with alot papers inside so I said can I see the information and he took the folder from me and said that I could not see and will give me a copy, he only handed me a paper saying it was 5,136 to change the transmission and erased with highlighter somethings on paper as part numbers. My car has 58,400 miles and my warranty ends up at 60,000 miles. I just want to know if somebody had any problem with warranty here because of aftermarket parts.I called the dodge later and they said that my car is still warranty and they will call them on monday, the mechanic did not even show me the car diagnosis, saying that what I got from the aftermarket caused the problem. One more thing, I want to know how a aftermarket exhaust damage my transmission and not my engine.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hi
so I had a problem with my challenger last Sunday, I was stopped at the red light and as soon as I press the gas pedal the car made a noise and I did not want to accelerate, I put it in the park and it did not stop, so I thought it was a transmission problem, I called the road assistance from dodge and they towed to a nearest dodge dealer in NY, the dodge mechanic called me on Monday saying they would look at the car and if it was not covered by the warranty I would have to pay $ 130 for the diagnostic, I waited for them to call back and never called, today after 1 week I went to the dealer, one of the attendants said they did not look at the car yet and then called the mechanic and he came without giving any attention to me and said only that my car is not covered by the warranty because my car is modified it has aftermarket rims, coilovers and exhaust, he came with a folder of my car with alot papers inside so I said can I see the information and he took the folder from me and said that I could not see and will give me a copy, he only handed me a paper saying it was 5,136 to change the transmission and erased with highlighter somethings on paper as part numbers. My car has 58,400 miles and my warranty ends up at 60,000 miles. I just want to know if somebody had any problem with warranty here because of aftermarket parts.I called the dodge later and they said that my car is still warranty and they will call them on monday, the mechanic did not even show me the car diagnosis, saying that what I got from the aftermarket caused the problem. One more thing, I want to know how a aftermarket exhaust damage my transmission and not my engine.
Just because one Tech pronounces your aftermarket parts the culprit does not mean it's over. They have to PROVE your aftermarket parts caused the failure. Aftermarket parts are not banned. From the treatment you have received so far from this Dealership.....I would tow mine to another just on principle. There is a HUGE difference between Dealerships and level of service. Sounds like you got a bad one. Hopefully Dodge will have your back. Keep us posted and good luck....

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts

In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just because one Tech pronounces your aftermarket parts the culprit does not mean it's over. They have to PROVE your aftermarket parts caused the failure. Aftermarket parts are not banned. From the treatment you have received so far from this Dealership.....I would tow mine to another just on principle. There is a HUGE difference between Dealerships and level of service. Sounds like you got a bad one. Hopefully Dodge will have your back. Keep us posted and good luck....

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts

In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”
that's what I said to the woman from dodge on the phone later, I do not trust this dealer anymore and even if they told me the warranty cover, I want my car away from there, I even signed triple A to bring the car to my city ​​in CT tomorrow.

·
Registered
84 Posts
After your car sits there for one week, they don't even have the common courtesy to call with a diagnosis??? Those minor mods would have no causal connection to a transmission problem. Get it out of there and go to a dealership that someone in your area can recommend as providing superior customer service.

Good luck and keep us posted. Hopefully Dodge steps up to the plate and stands behind it's warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
After your car sits there for one week, they don't even have the common courtesy to call with a diagnosis??? Those minor mods would have no causal connection to a transmission problem. Get it out of there and go to a dealership that someone in your area can recommend as providing superior customer service.

Good luck and keep us posted. Hopefully Dodge steps up to the plate and stands behind it's warranty.
One more thing, they dont have any fence around they parking lot, my car is next to the side walk like the others cars, and my hood is unlock, Idk I think they not even put my car in a lift to check it. This is the only paper he handed to me

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I defintiely think that dealership is trying to get one over on you - hoping that you just accepted what they tell you and paid them to do it (believe it or not, some people would).

While technically, I do think that wheels and suspension parts *could* effect the transmission, I *highly* doubt that is the case - unless you have 50" wheels on the car or something. :) I *think* that I read somewhere that very large and heavy wheels do make it harder on the transmission, I'm not 100% sure about that - does anyone else know?

Something else to consider - if your wheels/tires are a different overall size than the original wheels - and you didn't have the speedometer re-calibrated for the new size, wouldn't it also impact the mileage that the vehicle reports? Or doesn't it work like that? I'm just wondering if they are trying to say that mileage is so close, that different sized wheels could mean that the warranty is actually exprired already due to the different sized wheels impacting the reported mileage.

Just curious - are your aftermarket wheels "crazy" in any way (size, offset, alignment, etc)?

I would defintiely get that car towed to a different dealership. Like people have mentioned, just the fact that it sat for a week and nobody even contacted you is reason enough alone to take it somewhere else. Then with the whole warranty issue, it's even worse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I defintiely think that dealership is trying to get one over on you - hoping that you just accepted what they tell you and paid them to do it (believe it or not, some people would).

While technically, I do think that wheels and suspension parts *could* effect the transmission, I *highly* doubt that is the case - unless you have 50" wheels on the car or something. 🙂 I *think* that I read somewhere that very large and heavy wheels do make it harder on the transmission, I'm not 100% sure about that - does anyone else know?

Something else to consider - if your wheels/tires are a different overall size than the original wheels - and you didn't have the speedometer re-calibrated for the new size, wouldn't it also impact the mileage that the vehicle reports? Or doesn't it work like that? I'm just wondering if they are trying to say that mileage is so close, that different sized wheels could mean that the warranty is actually exprired already due to the different sized wheels impacting the reported mileage.

Just curious - are your aftermarket wheels "crazy" in any way (size, offset, alignment, etc)?

I would defintiely get that car towed to a different dealership. Like people have mentioned, just the fact that it sat for a week and nobody even contacted you is reason enough alone to take it somewhere else. Then with the whole warranty issue, it's even worse.
I got 22” I already made trips 2 times to florida and to chicago from CT never had any problem with the car, they were not attentive at the dealer, not even call me back, I called them on monday to ask about my car, and later they call me about the diagnosis and thats it never call me back.

I know my car is too low I just use it on weekends, but from the bumper to the engines shield is all new, i just fixed everything, when the guy was putting my car in the truck, there was not a drop of oil or any leaks and not even in the street.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

While technically, I do think that wheels and suspension parts *could* effect the transmission, I *highly* doubt that is the case - unless you have 50" wheels on the car or something. 🙂 I *think* that I read somewhere that very large and heavy wheels do make it harder on the transmission, I'm not 100% sure about that - does anyone else know?

I got 22” I already made trips 2 times to florida and to chicago from CT never had any problem with the car, they were not attentive at the dealer, not even call me back, I called them on monday to ask about my car, and later they call me about the diagnosis and thats it never call me back.

I know my car is too low I just use it on weekends, but from the bumper to the engines shield is all new, i just fixed everything, when the guy was putting my car in the truck, there was not a drop of oil or any leaks and not even in the street.
the diameters of my aftermarket wheels with tires are the same as my stock, maybe change by 1 / 2incha maximum

·
Registered
570 Posts
While technically, I do think that wheels and suspension parts *could* effect the transmission, I *highly* doubt that is the case - unless you have 50" wheels on the car or something. :) I *think* that I read somewhere that very large and heavy wheels do make it harder on the transmission, I'm not 100% sure about that - does anyone else know?

Yes, heavier tires and wheels make life harder for the drive train, and the brakes. Plus impact handling negatively. Unsprung, rotating mass is the worst kind of weight on a vehicle.
Are those 22s enough to make the transmission fail prematurely? Most likely not, but it would be interesting to know the tire size.

As far as the speedo maybe not being corrected, that should be a non issue, unless the static loaded radius differs quite a bit between the stock and aftermarket tires. Let's say the car traveled 1,000 miles according to the odometer, but in reality it went 1,050. Well, the transmission doesn't know that. It still thinks it went 1,000, based on the number of revolutions.
Besides, the error must have been there long enough for the odometer to be off by that much, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Then again, some modern vehicles can be finicky about gearing changes, be it through gears or tires. Doesn't sound like that's the issue here, though.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The part they quoted is an entire transmission for a 2015 to 2018 SXT 6cyl. Prices rage from $2898 to $2656. Do a google search on the part number. Go find a different dealer for warranty service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Yes, heavier tires and wheels make life harder for the drive train, and the brakes. Plus impact handling negatively. Unsprung, rotating mass is the worst kind of weight on a vehicle.
Are those 22s enough to make the transmission fail prematurely? Most likely not, but it would be interesting to know the tire size.

As far as the speedo maybe not being corrected, that should be a non issue, unless the static loaded radius differs quite a bit between the stock and aftermarket tires. Let's say the car traveled 1,000 miles according to the odometer, but in reality it went 1,050. Well, the transmission doesn't know that. It still thinks it went 1,000, based on the number of revolutions.
Besides, the error must have been there long enough for the odometer to be off by that much, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Then again, some modern vehicles can be finicky about gearing changes, be it through gears or tires. Doesn't sound like that's the issue here, though.
My tires are 255/30/22 rims 22x9

Idk they act like dont care nothing when I was there just you have to pay the 5.136 and thats it, just said you car modified no warranty cover with a face of sarcasm , my transmission was always good never gave any symptoms that there is a problem. I will wait tomorrow and see what happens when dodge call them to ask about it. If they dont fix I will spend like 1.500 to fix it but not pay a $5.000 bill

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm really curious to hear the outcome of this. While I put different wheels on my 2018 GT, I actually just put different Dodge stock wheels on it (18" SXT wheels instead of the stock 19" GT wheels). At first I was going to keep the stock wheels just in case I needed warranty coverage, but then I figured that they wouldn't bother me about the different wheels, especially since they are Dodge wheels. Now I'm not so sure.... :)

I can't imagine they would ***** about 18" stock SXT wheels on a 2019 GT, but then again, they are different offsets etc (+24 instead of the +55 of the stock GT wheels). I can just see them saying "that put undue stress on your vehicle, blah, blah, bah).

Dodge seems to be on a mission regarding warranty claims lately (aka denying them!).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be true my problem dont start with the dealer, all started with the dodge road assistence they sent a wrong truck to my house in ct, but i was in ny, then they sent one to ny 4 hours later, and i asked if need to be in the car, and she said not just leave the key inside the car, or out in a place where the driver of the truck can see, I left in the windshield near the wiper has a hole, and I warned her my car is lowered and she said no problem just need to have the key and they give it a way to take the car, when the truck arrived, he did not want to take my car, his boss called me all arrogant saying he will not take my car because he was lowered and shouting saying why I left the car with the key and no one there, so I explained the dodge assistance instructed me to leave it so it would be late and someone pick the car, he hung up and called the dodge, and called me again and said I have to go there in 5 minutes and sign a resposability statement because the car was low. Sorry my english. Tomorrow I will bring one of my stock wheels to put next to my aftermarket and see if change anything.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Wow! I thought I was the only one trying to run smaller diameter wheels when possible.
Honestly, I really didn't have anything agaist the 19" size - other than they are 19" - and there are almost no other 19" wheels out there! SInce I did NOT like the stock 19" wheels at all (the color or design), I had to replace them with something. I'm a "5-spoke wheel" kind of guy - and prefer chrome. The stock 19" wheels were ugly - and black'ish. I went with the Dodge 18" wheels for a few reasons:

1. I liked the 5-spoke design
2. They are plentiful on the used market and inexpensve
3. They make both black and chrome wheel skins for them. So I can make my wheels either black or chome. The wheel skins are also great for the PA winters as I don't have to worry about expensive chrome wheels getting chewed up from the road salt. In case you haven't already seen - I'm a big "wheel skin" fan. :) The wheels on both of my cars (my 2012 Impala with Charger wheels and my 2018 Challenger GT with the 18" SXT wheels) - both with chrome wheel skins installed - *always* look brand new. :) I constantly get compliment on the wheels on both cars.
4. I like a nice sized sidewall - I think 18" wheels look perfect on these Challengers - and the nice sidewall protects my wheels from potholes and gives me a really nice ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The part they quoted is an entire transmission for a 2015 to 2018 SXT 6cyl. Prices rage from $2898 to $2656. Do a google search on the part number. Go find a different dealer for warranty service.
And changing 2000 to install, I know the dodge give them a hard time to pay for the warranty service, but tomorrow I will be there recording everything and if the dodge say the should fix I will file a claim on FTC against the dealer and whatever I need agaisnt them. I’m looking videos about the magnuson-moss act. I hope they have a really a good cause that my wheels and coilover and exhaust caused the transmission failure in write and not my engine.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Tomorrow I will bring one of my stock wheels to put next to my aftermarket and see if change anything.
It'd much better if you looked up the static loaded radius and/or revolutions per mile for the two tires. Those specs are generally readily available and are far more meaningful than putting the two tire and wheel combos side by side and look at them.

If nothing else, you could then tell the dealer "There's only a difference of three revolutions per mile...", for example.

·
Registered
382 Posts

I think the 6cyl come with 20's. I think the SRT came with 22's. You are correct about the bigger size affecting everything. It takes a lot more torque to get moving with a larger tire than a smaller one. Without a tuner and calibration, the odometer will definitely turn slower and since it's so close to warranty...the correct call would be to deny the claim by Dodge. However....the Dealer is WHACKED for the trans price and 12 hours of labor!! A good tech with lift and tools can have it on the ground in an hour or less. If I were you....I would be VERY nice to Dodge and tell them you need and appreciate their help. Good call Jimmy on the tire size....

·
Registered
382 Posts
Wow! I thought I was the only one trying to run smaller diameter wheels when possible.
17's on my Challenger. 26" tall rears (315's)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts