Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Racer X did an interesting comparison between the Challenger SXT and Camaro V6.

Based on an average of three 0-60 mph runs, the Camaro was slightly faster. It averaged 6.13 sec. against the Challenger's 6.38 sec.

The Challenger's performance was impressive, however, since it has 30 less horsepower than the Camaro and weighs 500 lbs. more.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Did he weigh them? Two more gears help the heavier Challenger get as close as it does in acceleration. The Challenger gets better real world gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
The real world test of any car is the drive thru test. If you order a hamburger, will it fit thru the mail slot, uh, I mean window of a Camaro. I know it will on a Challenger.
That's different! But right! :)

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,330 Posts
Camaro
3.6L SIDI DOHC V6 VVT. 323 @ 6800 RPM. 278 @ 4800 RPM.
3.6L SIDI DOHC V6 VVT. 6-Speed Manual or an Automatic
3,738 lbs
3.27 Rear Gear Ration

So Lighter, More HP, and Taller Rear wonder why slight advantage with a Camaro?
The SXT Heavier, Less HP and a 2.62 Rear End with an Automatic no Std Option

Now Run it against a SXT Plus Package with the 3:07 Rear End bet it would be even closer in 0-60
The 3:90 option would probably be too tall for the less HP but another option for the Challenger

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
294 Posts
Where does he get the weight from? I have the shipping order for my SXT plus and it is 3763 lbs not the 3900 lbs he says. The Chevy media site says a RS V6 auto weighs 3691 lbs. Camaro - 2021 The Challenger isn't the heavy pig reviewers make it out to be.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Where does he get the weight from? I have the shipping order for my SXT plus and it is 3763 lbs not the 3900 lbs he says. The Chevy media site says a RS V6 auto weighs 3691 lbs. Camaro - 2021 The Challenger isn't the heavy pig reviewers make it out to be.
Yeah he’s way off. He’s comparing a V6 Camaro to a Hellcat.

V6 vs V6 is typically around a 100lb difference.

When comparing the RS Camaro the weight could even be closer because they have the same wheels and suspension as the SS.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
When I have tried, I get 5.9 0-60 mostly, low of 5.8

A Guy

·
Registered
562 Posts
The time difference here is literally immaterial. It could vary based on the reaction time of the driver. Any environmental conditions, tires, a slight incline or decline, you name it.

It comes down to practicality, comfort, styling, handling, braking, etc.. I cannot speak to which brakes better. But I drove a Chevy Camaro and it sucked for comfort, visibility was terrible, it felt cheap inside, and the handling was un-remarkable. Did I mention the comfort and visibility seemed like an afterthought to the designers. You're sitting on the ground and the windows are slits. You cannot see anything around you. I don't understand why anyone would buy this because it's a very hard car to drive safely.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The time difference here is literally immaterial. It could vary based on the reaction time of the driver. Any environmental conditions, tires, a slight incline or decline, you name it.

It comes down to practicality, comfort, styling, handling, braking, etc.. I cannot speak to which brakes better. But I drove a Chevy Camaro and it sucked for comfort, visibility was terrible, it felt cheap inside, and the handling was un-remarkable. Did I mention the comfort and visibility seemed like an afterthought to the designers. You're sitting on the ground and the windows are slits. You cannot see anything around you. I don't understand why anyone would buy this because it's a very hard car to drive safely.
Yeah it's too small for my needs, among other things. Maybe the popularity of the Transformers movies

·
Registered
63 Posts
Camaro
3.6L SIDI DOHC V6 VVT. 323 @ 6800 RPM. 278 @ 4800 RPM.
3.6L SIDI DOHC V6 VVT. 6-Speed Manual or an Automatic
3,738 lbs
3.27 Rear Gear Ration

So Lighter, More HP, and Taller Rear wonder why slight advantage with a Camaro?
The SXT Heavier, Less HP and a 2.62 Rear End with an Automatic no Std Option

Now Run it against a SXT Plus Package with the 3:07 Rear End bet it would be even closer in 0-60
The 3:90 option would probably be too tall for the less HP but another option for the Challenger
I totally agree. The 3.07 rear end makes a big difference. I have it on my SXT Plus and I feel a lot more grunt at launch (having road tested both the RT and the regular SXT.)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I went through the six cylinder Mustang, Camaro, and the Challenger in detail. Unfortunately the Camaro Houston interior that was designed by a 15 year old who still plays with Hot Wheels and probably likes rice Rocket Bikes. This is probably why GM made the decision to discontinue the Camaro due to lacking sales.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have driven a 2017, 18, 20202 stx v6 Challengers ( rental) and a few v6 Camaro's 2015-2020) ( rentals) In my opinion, the visibility, ride quality, and comfort of the Challenger was much better especially on longer trips. As far as acceleration, too close to call for me. While one might "feel faster" the real time 0-60 is probably going to have to go the Camaro. What i mean by feels faster, 2017 stock scat pack vs 2019 Corvette, the Corvette was faster on the real time but the Scat pack threw you in the seat more.

If I was looking for a v6 and it was between the 2, I would take the Challenger just based upon the 3 things I mentioned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Racer X did an interesting comparison between the Challenger SXT and Camaro V6.

Based on an average of three 0-60 mph runs, the Camaro was slightly faster. It averaged 6.13 sec. against the Challenger's 6.38 sec.

The Challenger's performance was impressive, however, since it has 30 less horsepower than the Camaro and weighs 500 lbs. more.

I’m getting a 5.8 sec I done beat a 2019 RS trimmed camero

1 - 20 of 54 Posts