Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all ,
I saw someone talking about needing a back seat and trying to move to a Charger. They where also talking about the Aluminum Possible Block.
Well whoever you are , you might actually like the Charger over the Challenger for a few reasons.
1- You can see out of it way better, we have a Charger and it's so much better to see.
2- Something most will miss but the arm rest is better in the Charger, it's higher up and way more comfortable to rest your arm on and hold the Auto Shifter handle.
3- Feels roomier, may not be but the layout of the dash board and center console makes it feel more roomy.
4- Power UP windows, the Charger only Rolls the windows down with 1 touch, the Charger does it both ways. I like that better.
5- Trunk is slightly wider to get into so loading things in it might be easier.
6- Back Seat, this one everyone knows but it's a big deal to have those doors.
7- Smaller front doors, when parking in a garage, you have more room to get out as the Challengers doors are longer and can hit the wall if you park to close to the side wall.

On this subject, anyone own both or have opinions either way ? I think this is a fanatic topic since the Challenger and Charger are both beasts from the v6 to the Hellcat. Such great cars and both server the same general purpose where the Challenger servers more of the Muscle car feel and the Charger gives you a more modern Muscle Sedan.

Looking forward to reading your comments.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,086 Posts
I'm THAT GUY lol! I'm on my 3rd Challenger and, although I absolutely love the car, my 80+ yo mother in law will eventually be coming to stay with us for awhile, so easy access is a must for her. While there are a ton of other car options out there, I know the 392 engine and expect the handling of the Wide Body Charger to be even better than my '16 SRT, so I think I'll like it. The wider tires should help traction and the more aerodynamic shape can't hurt at high speeds either.
Another thing the Charger has is memory seats along with saved mirror and radio settings. My wife sometimes drives my car and leaves the seat way to close to the steering wheel and her mirror settings are useless. I realize the memory option is part of a package which most dealers don't order, which is why I want to order my car exactly the way I want it. I'll likely go with the Indigo Blue with red alcantara interior. Not sure how that combo will look though until I see it in person. I've seen what looks like red leather and I'm not a fan since the red is a different shade and doesn't have black on the sides. I also could go with Katzkin leather, but I'm not sure if I can get all of the options I want with the base cloth seats that would be replaced. I may just wait for the 2021 ordering window to open in October, but as it stands now, this is how I currently have it configured: Build & Price a 2020 Dodge Charger today! | Dodge
Any suggestions pro or con?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your Order is pretty solid but I do have some opinions.
The NAV is totally not worth it. The Uconnect system has Car play and Android Auto so whatever phone you have you can use your NAV in your phone. Much quicker much better and less of a pain in the ass like the stock Uconnect NAV is which is Tom Tom. I hate it with a passion.
The Seat choice is intresting. I saw those seats in a 2020 Scat Pack Normal Body and white paint looked awesome. .Red Brakes as well so it all matched nicely. I'm not sure about the Indigo Blue and Red, I'd go with the Tan Interior or Black.
The Price is outstanding as you get good rebates From Dodge which are better then the Challenger at the moment.
I've been strongly considering going with a new Charger but My wife owns one already and it might be weird having 2 of them in different colors LOL. Not off the table.

I didn't know you couldn't get Memory Seats in the Challenger at any trim level? Wow that sucks. I use that feature a lot and maybe a good reason not to let the wife drive mine if I got a Challenger LOL.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,086 Posts
Okay, I just tried to configure the car to just have the cloth seats and it's not gonna happen since the upgraded seats are part of one of the packages I do need. The only other issue I have is I love HID projector headlights over stock Halogen. I believe the only way I can get them is to order the "Driver Convenience Group". The problem with this is EVERY other item included in that option group is also included in another package, namely the "Plus Group", so I'm basically paying $1,295 just for the HID's. Not sure if there's some quick order package that includes the HID's to get around this or not.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,086 Posts
I hear you and agree on the NAV being a waste of money 110%, however, my wife insists on it. She hates the idea of having to look at a small phone screen so I'll likely just have to go with it. Maybe I can convince here otherwise since it's a Tom Tom system. I've been using the Challenger NAV since 2010 and also on a Jeep GC, so I'm use to it. Truth be told, I don't even know the source. I do know it becomes obsolete all to quickly as roads and highways are modified.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Okay, I just tried to configure the car to just have the cloth seats and it's not gonna happen since the upgraded seats are part of one of the packages I do need. The only other issue I have is I love HID projector headlights over stock Halogen. I believe the only way I can get them is to order the "Driver Convenience Group". The problem with this is EVERY other item included in that option group is also included in another package, namely the "Plus Group", so I'm basically paying $1,295 just for the HID's. Not sure if there's some quick order package that includes the HID's to get around this or not.
No way around it. HIDs are only through that one package. Why my last 2 Challengers required the Driver's Convenience Group for me to buy them. Also, the cost alone of correctly upgrading from halogen to HIDs will most likely be more than that package cost.

Reactions: USponycar

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I have both, a 2018 Charger GT AWD and a 2016 Challenger HELLCAT.
The Charger is my daily driver and winter rat.
The Cat is the Retro Muscle car.
I notice with the 6cyl Charger that unless it is in Sport mode, it's a dog, but it is a smooth riding car.
I don't have to cart around any one so there is no back seat issues.
Trunk space? unless I see the specs, I can't tell the difference in size.
I have read some people cry about having to lift the Challengers trunk lid to open it as to the Chargers it will pop right up open.
I like them both for what they are to me.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I currently have a Charger GT rental while it's in service. I'm assuming the AWD is not always on, and you'll have to turn on sports mode for the AWD to turn on right?

It is pretty smooth, not as quick as the scatpack I have but in honestly the hard driving is just like 20% of the drive in LA traffic anyways

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Putting my AWD GT in Sport Mode, turns off the traction control and changes the shift points.
Not sure if it disengages the AWD.
The AWD normally comes on , I believe the out side temp is 40deg or lower, the wipers are on constantly and if the car senses loss of traction.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
926 Posts
We've owned two Dodge Chargers that were my wife's primary vehicle and two Dodge Challengers that were my primary vehicle. The most recent Charger was a 2013 Charger R/T Plus that we traded in 2017 for my 2015 Challenger SRT. My personal preference is for the styling of the Challenger. It was a luxury to own both.

The ride quality in the '13 Charger was perhaps the best of any vehicle we've owned. I miss the auto up windows and the cooled and heated cup holders that just aren't available in any Challenger trim level. My only issue with the Charger is the name. I get it that the name Charger has marketing appeal. But I took my driver's test in my mom's '72 Charger and my first car was a '68 Charger R/T and today's Charger has two doors too many. Which is why I had a Coronet R/T tag frame on our '13 Charger. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,172 Posts
I guess they know people really want the HIDs. When I got my car, the Plus got you many of the same things you get with the Blacktop package. Therefore when you added the Blacktop package to the Plus, it had a discounted price. Mind this included the 3.07 rear so that may have been the major price

A Guy

Reactions: USponycar

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
860 Posts
There isn't one of those reasons I'd want to switch to a Charger. Some of those are miniscule to me.

Biggest reason to have a Challenger over a Charger?
It looks sooo much better!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Hello all ,
I saw someone talking about needing a back seat and trying to move to a Charger. They where also talking about the Aluminum Possible Block.
Well whoever you are , you might actually like the Charger over the Challenger for a few reasons.
1- You can see out of it way better, we have a Charger and it's so much better to see.
2- Something most will miss but the arm rest is better in the Charger, it's higher up and way more comfortable to rest your arm on and hold the Auto Shifter handle.
3- Feels roomier, may not be but the layout of the dash board and center console makes it feel more roomy.
4- Power UP windows, the Charger only Rolls the windows down with 1 touch, the Charger does it both ways. I like that better.
5- Trunk is slightly wider to get into so loading things in it might be easier.
6- Back Seat, this one everyone knows but it's a big deal to have those doors.
7- Smaller front doors, when parking in a garage, you have more room to get out as the Challengers doors are longer and can hit the wall if you park to close to the side wall.

On this subject, anyone own both or have opinions either way ? I think this is a fanatic topic since the Challenger and Charger are both beasts from the v6 to the Hellcat. Such great cars and both server the same general purpose where the Challenger servers more of the Muscle car feel and the Charger gives you a more modern Muscle Sedan.

Looking forward to reading your comments.

1 I see perfectly fine out of the 2 challengers I've owned
2 I have no issues there
3 Challenger is a couch on wheels. The most comfortable and roomy car I've ever owned.
4 I have no issue with no power up. It takes less than 5 seconds to do it manually.
5 Trunk space is more than I'll ever use.
6 I have no use for a back seat, as I'm single with no family. No friends either. Had the car 11 months now and no one has ever sat in the back.
7 The opposite could be said for buying a bigger garage, so you can store your roomy car in it. ;) Also, I don't park near other vehicles, as well as having disabled plates, my parking spots are wider.

Reactions: 2015SXT

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,503 Posts
I like the chargers much better after the appearance upgrade but still not enough to trade in the challenger for one. On a side note, one of my favorite features of the challenger is the frameless window...but if I drove the challenger in the winter it would probably be my least favorite feature.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I can attest that the frameless windows are a pain sometimes in winter. On my 2015, there were days I couldn't open the door because the window wouldn't lower to open the door (frozen). Had to take a credit card and brake the ice at bottom of window. It was annoying. I believe it's the motor that is not strong enough since this never happened on my Mustang. I'm waiting for my 2020, but I guess I'll have to keep a card handy this winter! As for the Charger, I like it although I'd like it if a coupe option was available and it it had a more retro look since it has the Charger name. Imagine a 1969 or 1970 looking charger coupe!

·
Registered
2021 Redeye
367 Posts
I can attest that the frameless windows are a pain sometimes in winter. On my 2015, there were days I couldn't open the door because the window wouldn't lower to open the door (frozen). Had to take a credit card and brake the ice at bottom of window. It was annoying. I believe it's the motor that is not strong enough since this never happened on my Mustang. I'm waiting for my 2020, but I guess I'll have to keep a card handy this winter! As for the Charger, I like it although I'd like it if a coupe option was available and it it had a more retro look since it has the Charger name. Imagine a 1969 or 1970 looking charger coupe!
Hey raven, I thought about that if the window quits lowering, what do people do when they come across the situation and it doesn't lower anymore?
It seems inevitable.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,715 Posts
I have posted lists of advantages of Chargers over Challengers, mainly related to seating/memory type stuff. But from having a 2015 Charger to the current 2018 Challenger, a lot of it is noticeable.
<opinion>
If you want/need any of these
  • The look of a Challenger
  • SHAKER
  • Manual transmission
  • Demon
  • Super Stock
Get a Challenger, otherwise, get the Charger.
Let me look for my list...
Basically, in the drivers seat the Charger wins, walking up to the car and seeing it, Challenger to some. But I also LOVE the Charger looks, give me a Frostbite Widebody Hellcat, and I'll trade!
EDIT

If you want to know the perks of a Charger, the list is long, but not earth shattering, major items are seat related.
Off the top of my head, in random order including optional items
Trunk Pull Down Handle
Power Recline
Full power passenger seat with power recline
heated rear seats
ability to put heated/cooled cupholders (available in Chargers/300 in 2014 with heated rear seat package)

different console/cupholder with Dodge Brothers in cubby not hidden under arm rest
If you have Adaptive Cruise Control, it will bring the Charger to a full stop, not the Challenger (WTF is up with that?)
Higher top speed (Charger is more aerodynamic)
much more usable back seat, both in ease of access, and actual space
power adjustable pedals
and since there is more things that are power adjustable, memory saving of seats/pedals/column/radio
different grabhandles, pull down vs straps

1 - 20 of 33 Posts