Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It could happen. DaimlerChrysler staffers are being quoted as saying it would only take 18 to 24 months to get the Challenger into showrooms once management gives the go-ahead.

Given the overwhelmingly encouraging response that the company received after the concept car's unveiling at the Detroit Auto Show (including its victory over the Camaro in our head-to-head reader poll!), it's hard to imagine that DaimlerChrysler would turn down the opportunity to one-up Chevrolet, whose Camaro concept is said to be three years away from production.

Of course, DaimlerChrysler has a huge advantage over Chevy, in that the Challenger is based on a shortened version of the LX platform already in production for the Chrylser 300, Dodge Charger and Dodge Magnum. Add to that a full line of platform-compatible powertrains, and a 2008 model-year Challenger looks like a slam dunk.

Source: Autoblog

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm holding my breath for a drop top, I think I'm already about to pass out due to lack of oxygen. LOL. Maybe in the second year of production, I just hope they make one to compete with the Mustang convert.

ScottyJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not a ragtop guy so I'll pass on the convertible, but I most definitely want the SRT-8 version if they do one. So... how will I know for sure if one is coming? When the 300C went production, did you guys already know that an SRT-8 version was in the works?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't stand it, I can't sleep @ nite, I've been eating choke saniches for 2 weeks now. I figure I'd be savin' @ least $15 a day x 18 months=$7330.00 , sell the dog now =$300.00, don't have to feed it anymore +300.00 , use 3 slices of bread for choke sanich + $ 75.00 . Ride bike to work (summer) and pick up cans on the way = $500.00 and if I have to ,turn a trick or two . = priceless

·
Registered
973 Posts
So let's speculate a little here.

In an interview on The Wall Street Journal site, Tom Lasorda stated that they were going to move "very, very quickly" on a decision concerning Challenger production. So what does "very, very quickly" mean to a guy that runs an auto company? Who knows but in my opinion the decision has already been made. The rest is just formalities. There are too many positives out there that justify production of a potentially very successful product. Hell, DCX has years and years of customers waiting to buy this thing.

In an interview with one of the designers, he stated that they have been working "in earnest" on the Challenger since January '04. So how long does it take to go from design to production? I've heard, read, saw, or something like that, three years is the number. DCX already has a prototype, a body, and a drive train, except for maybe the manual transmission. And they may have that too. And who knows what other work they've done on the car.

Northern Rider over on the 300C Forums said that he was talking to an employee at Bramption and it would be no problem running the Challenger down their line. And NR talks to these guys.

I wouldn't at all be surprised that sometime this summer you'll see spy pics of the final product pilot cars running around for testing.

So, my crystal ball shows production to start late this year or early next. :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
4v383,

Man, it sounds like you've 'got it' bad!. :D

ChuckG,

Well, since a few of the new car manufacturers prefer to utilize a certain stretch of roadway (located just up the mountain from my front door) for concept vehicle drive-ability testing , I'll make sure that I'll remember to carry a digital camera in my vehicles at all times. ;)

·
Registered
419 Posts
LawFive said:
I'm not a ragtop guy so I'll pass on the convertible, but I most definitely want the SRT-8 version if they do one. So... how will I know for sure if one is coming? When the 300C went production, did you guys already know that an SRT-8 version was in the works?
General timeframe on SRT versions are sometime around a year after the production model hits the road (hopefully a little less). SRT can't do anything with the car until they actually have a production version to work with. Remember, SRT does not build cars, they simply work their magic on current production models.

I don't think that the Challenger will be built at the Brampton facility. That plant has been running at capacity for awhile now just keeping up with 300/Charger/Magnum demand. Putting the Challenger on that same line would just make the situation (supply of the current LX cars) even worse on vehicles that are having a huge impact on the bottom line for DCX. But, who knows what DCX has up their sleeves. Maybe if they could add on at the Brampton plant before Challenger goes into production it would work.

Keep in mind, DCX still will have to push up development of the LY platform in order to build the Challenger, so that will play a factor in when it actually hits showrooms. And yes, we want it on the LY platform in order to save weight. So if we have to add on another 6 months or so, just for it to be on the LY platform, I say that's fine with me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
Well, since a few of the new car manufacturers prefer to utilize a certain stretch of roadway (located just up the mountain from my front door) for concept vehicle drive-ability testing , I'll make sure that I'll remember to carry a digital camera in my vehicles at all times. ;)
You would so be my hero if you got a shot of one of them.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts