Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was enjoying a typical afternoon driving when all of a sudden, I lost my power steering. I pulled over, restarted and still nothing. Then, I saw my temp gauge skyrocket to the far right. I shut it down and opened the hood and saw my coolant boiling like some sort of lab experiment. :disgust:

I looked down at my main belt and it was shredded into many pieces. So far I've had in approximately 6 weeks of ownership and 1100 miles, a sunroof that was stuck open, stalling issue and now the belt is destroyed . I hope after this is fixed that the problems will cease. :indifferent:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Dang, you might be working on a lemon there.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
If your changeing it yourself make sure to check or change the idler pully. I've heard of people haveing problems with them. I hope that's all your problems. I have about everything option but the sunroof on mine and the only problem I've had in 6 months and 7500 miles is the trim by the windows cracked and they changed it under warranty

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what codes were thrown and I would rather have them take it and give it all the software updates it needs and make sure nothing else happened with that belt snapping like that and shredding everywhere. I'm upset that the engine got that hot and now I know it'll always be that way on a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,793 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. It's hard to say what your engine temp got to, but hopefully not to high if you pulled over right away. Sounds like maybe something seized causing the belt to shred. Let us know the cause when you find out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping for perhaps it was too loose and maybe that's why I had stalling issues? I know, I know-just dreaming. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine did it at 3600 miles just hit 5200 no problems one thing if your coolant boiled over wash it off, had to have under hood paint repaired under warrantty the lower hose needs to be checked as well mine was damaged. The safest is the DAYCO belt tensioner im switching mine before the Power Tour starts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ARRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had Chrysler tow my vehicle to the dealership today. While driving/following the tow truck, it seemed unnerving how close he had the Challenger to the front end of the flatbed. I took a picture sitting next to him at a stoplight of the close contact.

After lowering the vehicle at the dealership, lo and behold. There is a damaged bumper from scraping the truck! At first the driver said, "well guess I need to pay to touch that up!" The service rep said, "No the entire bumper needs to be replaced-its scraped all the way through the fiberglass."

After looking some more at the bumper area, I find the chin spoiler has some deep scratches in it. I showed this to the driver and he proceeded to tell me that he can't see how he caused that since it's not sticking out like the bumper was. I told him, "how about that giant, metal snowshovel you have secured to the front of your bed?" "Oh... well I guess you're right."

Then I was asked to sign for receipt of the car at the dealership and he only wrote down "damaged tip of bumper". I said, "I'm not signing anything. You can have your boss call me and I'll tell him you dropped it off but I'm not signing that those are the only damages." Dude acted like a nice, fat black sharpie would take care of business.:notallthere:

Well, I got the belt replaced and I made sure the tensioner was replaced as well. I couldn't get them to replace the coolant tank even though it is now discolored and I'm sure I'll be the butt of some jokes like, "Is your reservoir caffeinated or decaf?" :disgust: They said as long as it functions, Chrysler wouldn't reimburse them for it. So I may have to pay for it myself if I want a new one. They also stated that the tensioner issue may have caused my stalling issue. Who knows.

They believe that the entire front fascia will be approved for replacement.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Sounds like a complete nightmare! The more people that have to get involved, the more chance you get some joker that does some half-ass job that makes it worse.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I read your posts and wanted to go thow up. I'm at 2900 miles on mine after nearly 4 months. So far just plastic rocker cracked and plastic door panel trim cracked. I'm really counting on the drive train being bullet proof- - I hope I'm not disappointed.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Someone is going to joke about your coolant reservoir? How did it even change colour anyway, maybe it just needs to be wiped down with a rag...

sounds just like a random failed tensioner that took out the belt...

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
You know you can get a painted coolant tank that looks alot better than stock. I got mine at Show and performance.
l_engine.jpg Before L EngRC.jpg After

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Someone is going to joke about your coolant reservoir? How did it even change colour anyway, maybe it just needs to be wiped down with a rag...

sounds just like a random failed tensioner that took out the belt...
Car overheated since the belt broke and it climbed quickly. At that point, the coolant was boiling and made the overflow reservoir plastic a third brown from the overtemp condition of the coolant. I was joking about the color but I may consider on my own dime replacing the plastic. No, it doesn't wipe off.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
They don't have to over heat to discolor. If you notice mine was kinda yellow and was only 6 months old and never over heated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They don't have to over heat to discolor. If you notice mine was kinda yellow and was only 6 months old and never over heated.

That's all I was concerned about is it looking like it was cooked but if it'll brown a bit over the years, I won't do anything about it for awhile.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After I saw how close it was on the flatbed, it was like a slo-motion "NOOOooooooOOooo!"

And the evil shovel that tried to eat my chin spoiler.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
If you were in CA, I wouldn't be surprised if the shoddy towing job was coming from "Mr. C's towing". Look out for them, and head for ze hills if you see'em in SoCal. They are a crook outfit who will tow your car any way possible, if they can make money off of you for it (i.e, rampant predatory towing thugs of SoCal). Don't give them your (legitimate) business if you can anyway avoid it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Man that's a tough story to read, made worse by the in-attentive and obviously MORONIC tow truck driver.
Someone should pour bleach in his gene pool.

I hope it all ends well for you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts