Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the questions but ive never owned a car with this TPM system, so i have a few questions.

You guys who change wheels for the track / own a second set of wheels for your challengers, or have purchased/replaced sensors how does the TPMS and Sensors work exactly?

I assume you need to purchase a whole set of new sensors for new wheels, but since the sensors on the original wheels arent there anymore, how do the new seonsors connect to the cars system so that it can show you and warn about the tire pressure? Does the car automatically detect new sensors and connect by its self or do you need to manually "program" or add each individual new sensor? If so, how??

I assume the process is the same for all the newer challengers with this system?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
12,900 Posts
Correct sensors will be read by the car after driving for a while

A Guy

·
Registered
910 Posts
I wouldn't waste the money for sensors on track & strip tires/wheels. Typically inflated below spec. so TPMS will light up on the dash anyway. Dash display pressures are not always as accurate as you may want to monitor either.

For street, get good sensors/valves (not cheap Chinese) like Schrader. They're the most reliable, IMO, and "talk" to the car in a short period of time. Make sure you have the sensors tested before mounting the tires to avoid aggravation and added cost in case they are bad. I believe the battery life is expected to be around 5 years.

Verify they are made for your vehicle. Some are on different frequencies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay cool, good to know. However what happens if i dont have sensors on my wheels? does the tmp system stay lit up or will it just show no reading?

·
Super Moderator
12,900 Posts
It will be lit up as if you had 4 flats

A Guy

·
Registered
910 Posts
Okay cool, good to know. However what happens if i dont have sensors on my wheels? does the tmp system stay lit up or will it just show no reading?
Same difference. If you put sensors on race wheels, they'll typically be under inflated below the sensor spec. (30-32 lbs I think) for the track so the dash light will be on same as if you had none. You'll still get tire pressures showing but I don't rely on them at the track. I prefer to save the money and go without TPMS on race wheels and manually check pressures.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I had bought 4 new wheels for my 2014 RT and the TPMS sensors do not fit the wheels at the air valve stems. I have a lengthy thread on here somewhere about my dilemma. The tire/wheel guy I used had to program EACH wheel for the computer to read the wheels correctly. I remember he used a Snap On scanner to get them to work correctly.

·
Super Moderator
12,900 Posts
Wow, that's unusual. Never heard of that unless the TMPS were on the inside of the wheels :p

A Guy

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Wow, that's unusual. Never heard of that unless the TMPS were on the inside of the wheels :p

A Guy
Technically, all TPMS are inside the wheels. But, yes , you are correct. My TPMS had to be mounted with a huge hose clamp, inside the center of the wheel. Corvettes had this same method years ago. They are usually mounted to the outside of the wheel and the car can easily read the signal. Not so good when mounted further inside. Mine have been working for over a year, now. It did take alot of tire/wheel mounting to get it to work properly.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Same difference. If you put sensors on race wheels, they'll typically be under inflated below the sensor spec. (30-32 lbs I think) for the track so the dash light will be on same as if you had none. You'll still get tire pressures showing but I don't rely on them at the track. I prefer to save the money and go without TPMS on race wheels and manually check pressures.
True but the Tazer (if OP has one) fix that, not to mention the line lock feature on the Tazer would be useful in the burn box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts