Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

(I'm not mechanically inclined at all, so please pardon my noobish question.)

This morning my Challenger got stuck at my school's driveway.

I asked my buddy to watch my Challenger as it was going up the driveway to see what mistake I was making (his Mustang had no issues with the driveway).

He noted my rear right tire was completely off the ground. Apparently my right rear tire just kept spinning, even when my foot wasn't on the accelerator. My foot was on the brakes and it just kept spinning.

In any case, I went into reverse, backed out, and found a more favorable angle and was able to get onto the driveway.

My question: Even though the car wasn't moving (since it was stuck), and the rear right tire kept spinning, was there any harm in me shifting into Reverse? My buddy said it should be fine, but what worries me is the fact the tire was spinning.

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,440 Posts
Hi,

This morning my Challenger got stuck at my school's driveway.

I asked my buddy to watch my Challenger as it was going up the driveway to see what mistake I was making (his Mustang had no issues with the driveway).

He noted my rear right tire was completely off the ground. Apparently my right rear tire just kept spinning, even when my foot wasn't on the accelerator. My foot was on the brakes and it just kept spinning.

In any case, I went into reverse, backed out, and found a more favorable angle and was able to get onto the driveway.

My question: Even though the car wasn't moving (since it was stuck), and the rear right tire kept spinning, was there any harm in me shifting into Reverse? My buddy said it should be fine, but what worries me is the fact the tire was spinning.

Thanks for your input.
If the wheel is spinning, the axle that spins it is also spinning. And if the axle is spinning, the differential into which it connects (to spin it) could also be spinning.

If that differential’s internal gears are spinning one direction and you command them to spin the opposite direction all of a sudden, there could be a significant jolt as the transmission reverses that differential’s direction of rotation, and that jolt’s force has to be absorbed by something.

U-joints, transmission output shafts, axle splines, etc. are all going to be negatively affected by too much of that kind of sudden jolt. They wouldn’t fail right away, but over time, with continued jolts adding up, they would weaken and possibly fail.

Now, that part about the internal gears spinning with the axle, and thus everything after it, was dependent on the rear-end being a LSD type as opposed to an open type. In an open type diff, those internal gears are setup such that the two rear wheels can spin in opposite directions at the same time.

So if your car has an open diff, you are probably fine, and the only cars that don’t come with open diffs are the manual transmission and supercharged ones...and possibly all 6.4L equipped cars (not sure on this one, will have to verify).

——————
TL;DR - If you have a supercharger, a manual transmission, or a 6.4L engine, your rear end is an LSD, and that thing you did could be detrimental to the rear-end’s lifetime.

If your car has none of those things, you should have an open diff and no harm likely cane from your actions. Nevertheless, I would avoid repeating that scenario if possible.

Disclaimer: I don’t know if I’m right here, but I think I might be, and this is the Internet, so I’ll act like I am until proven otherwise. Either way, stop doing that thing with the spinning tire and putting it in reverse!

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,204 Posts
Don't worry about it unless you heard a bad noise shortly after shifting into R.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the wheel is spinning, the axle that spins it is also spinning. And if the axle is spinning, the differential into which it connects (to spin it) could also be spinning.

If that differential’s internal gears are spinning one direction and you command them to spin the opposite direction all of a sudden, there could be a significant jolt as the transmission reverses that differential’s direction of rotation, and that jolt’s force has to be absorbed by something.

U-joints, transmission output shafts, axle splines, etc. are all going to be negatively affected by too much of that kind of sudden jolt. They wouldn’t fail right away, but over time, with continued jolts adding up, they would weaken and possibly fail.

Now, that part about the internal gears spinning with the axle, and thus everything after it, was dependent on the rear-end being a LSD type as opposed to an open type. In an open type diff, those internal gears are setup such that the two rear wheels can spin in opposite directions at the same time.

So if your car has an open diff, you are probably fine, and the only cars that don’t come with open diffs are the manual transmission and supercharged ones...and possibly all 6.4L equipped cars (not sure on this one, will have to verify).

——————
TL;DR - If you have a supercharger, a manual transmission, or a 6.4L engine, your rear end is an LSD, and that thing you did could be detrimental to the rear-end’s lifetime.

If your car has none of those things, you should have an open diff and no harm likely cane from your actions. Nevertheless, I would avoid repeating that scenario if possible.

Disclaimer: I don’t know if I’m right here, but I think I might be, and this is the Internet, so I’ll act like I am until proven otherwise. Either way, stop doing that thing with the spinning tire and putting it in reverse!
I have the base SXT. So it looks like I'm okay. Thank you for your explanation - it really helped.

Don't worry about it unless you heard a bad noise shortly after shifting into R.
I didn't hear any noises when I went into reverse. That's a relief. Thank you

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
I would have thought if it was a LSD, the car would have continued to go up the driveway as power would transfer to the wheel with traction.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,440 Posts
I would have thought if it was a LSD, the car would have continued to go up the driveway as power would transfer to the wheel with traction.
Most likely... but what if Capt America was holding onto the non-spinning wheel and tearing away chunks of rubber with his teeth because he thought there were tiny elves trapped inside the wheel? Would it then??

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Most likely... but what if Capt America was holding onto the non-spinning wheel and tearing away chunks of rubber with his teeth because he thought there were tiny elves trapped inside the wheel? Would it then??
Man, never thought of that, probably not... I really need to think this stuff through before opening my mouth!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,719 Posts

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,708 Posts
Hi,

... My foot was on the brakes and it just kept spinning.
IF this part is true, you have a problem, period. All the rest could be normal.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,204 Posts
IF this part is true, you have a problem, period. All the rest could be normal.
Probably not. The abs was probably freaking out and not applying the calipers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts