Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I have searched this like crazy. I purchased my 09 challenger r/t two months ago and for the last month it has been in the shop. It has been the worst experience buying a car I have ever had. First off the dealer gave me a high mileage warranty which my car is not a high mileage car and should have given me their bumper to bumper warranty. The dealer said they would switch my warranty over to the correct one. The warranty company wouldn't pay for the computer since it has already had a claim filed on it with the wrong warranty. The dealer said they would pay for the computer themselves.

When I turn my radio up past seven the radio will cut out, all of the lights come on, on the dash (abs, airbag, battery everything), also the spedo and tach fuel gauge go to zero while driving down the road. So the dealer replaced the tipm module (computer I think) and it did not fix the problem they said it made it worse. So now I am waiting on the dealer to hear back from Chrysler on what else they think it could be! I just want my car back that I have wanted for so long. Any help would be awesome.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Sorry to here about your loss. But I have said time and again this is not a car to buy used. So many people have modded these cars then Brought them back to stock. You dont ever know what's really been done to them. I hope the dealer figures it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never really ever thought about what could have been done to it. I hope they figure it out to or swap her out for a new one! Not gonna happen!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you just bought it they have to make it right. So when you do get it back make sure you beat on it some to make sure nothing else goes wrong. Good luck
Lol I sure will. It because it has been my dream car for a long time and now that I finally have it I can't have it.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Couple of things to consider I am not an auto mechanic but I am an electronics technician.

when you turn up the radio it will push the audio amp current level thus putting a drain on the bus.

it maybe enough to send the computers into an uproar. does the engine or car stall out when this happens?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couple of things to consider I am not an auto mechanic but I am an electronics technician.

when you turn up the radio it will push the audio amp current level thus putting a drain on the bus.

it maybe enough to send the computers into an uproar. does the engine or car stall out when this happens?
I don't really know because I always let off the gas and kinda get freaked out.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
sounds like the radio or amp is drawing to much current not enough to blow the fuse but enough to cause havoc.

I have an 07 sebring as well that did the same thing on me once and it ended up being the battery. the battery can cause these things as well. the bus must have 12volts ae all times or like I sid before the computers start going crazy. I donot think you have a computer problem. I think you have voltage drain . keep me posted

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds like the radio or amp is drawing to much current not enough to blow the fuse but enough to cause havoc.

I have an 07 sebring as well that did the same thing on me once and it ended up being the battery. the battery can cause these things as well. the bus must have 12volts ae all times or like I sid before the computers start going crazy. I donot think you have a computer problem. I think you have voltage drain . keep me posted
Ok I sure will thank you for your advice I will run it by the techs at the dealership tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Sorry to hear, man. Stories like this break my heart.

At the very least it sounds like the dealership is willing to stand by you, which is not always the case.

The dealer will continue spending time and money as long as it feels covered, but if the problems persist, it will stop at some point. Collaborating WITH the dealer, instead of arguing makes a huge difference. Make sure your dealer feels both of you are in this together...so that they stick it through and do not give up until your car is totally fixed.

Only advise I would have: (1) be firm but, despite your frustrations, resist the temptation to fight with the dealer, focus on fixing the car, not the dealer. Things will get resolved faster if everyone pulls together; (2) make sure everything is entered into the system and documented: every visit, every issue, however minor as long as it is legitimate. It will make all the difference if the time comes when you need to elevate things either with Chrysler or with whoever holds the warranty.

In my experience, Chrysler is more likely to get things resolved faster and to your satisfaction when they hear both the customer AND the dealer telling the same story.

Hang in there and best of luck!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sorry to here about your loss. But I have said time and again this is not a car to buy used. So many people have modded these cars then Brought them back to stock. You dont ever know what's really been done to them. I hope the dealer figures it out.
Perhaps not even new either. I bought my 10 R/T six speed car with 42 miles on it. I noticed a "whine" in the rear end before I bought it. I highly suspect test drivers did a few burnouts with the car and that is what caused the "whine". After 7500 miles I had the dealer replace the entire rearend, now the problem is solved. It now has 11,000 on it and has been a great car. There are some good deals that can be had, expecially if the car is a "one owner" and you buy it from the original owner, AND he/she is honest with you. Otherwise, I would agree with you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I got my challenger back today from the dealer. Chrysler called and told them to check the volts thinking there was and short, and low and behold there was a short in the driver side door from when another dealership had to replace a window motor and ended up slicing through a wire. It in the long run ended up frying the computer so it was good they replaced it anyway. Thank you all for the advice and it does pay off to be nice to the guys at the dealer and work with them I didn't have to pay a dime they covered it all.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,115 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I got my challenger back today from the dealer. Chrysler called and told them to check the volts thinking there was and short, and low and behold there was a short in the driver side door from when another dealership had to replace a window motor and ended up slicing through a wire. It in the long run ended up frying the computer so it was good they replaced it anyway. Thank you all for the advice and it does pay off to be nice to the guys at the dealer and work with them I didn't have to pay a dime they covered it all.

that's great Enjoy a Great Car Lord knows I Do

1 - 19 of 19 Posts