Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This photo says it all !!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
I saw one of these on craigslist, said in the ad slight water damage with new water cushions.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,056 Posts
I'm sure it'll be fine.

Signing off from somewhere in the Universe...

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
I'd suspect there's going to be a lot of flood / water damaged vehicles turning up in the next year or so.

Often they get passed through states that have more lax titling (aka: title washing) to leave behind a salvage or totaled title from the former state (TX, LA in this go-around). They pass these through auctions and turn up in other states. With the population of Houston and the cities around the Gulf, there's a lot of vehicles that got flood damaged.

This happened with Katrina and Sandy...so if a deal is "too good to be true"...there's a reason why.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hydro locked a 2015 R/T not long ago in just 2 foot high water.....won't happen again. Was able to keep a couple thousand from insurance check after repair.....still not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
Gonna be a long road back for Houston, getting some flooding in NO today.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jazzy15

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Here is an aerial photo of Calverton Airfield on Long Island. This is where Grumman tested F-14's before they went out of business. This was the dumping ground flooded vehicles. Soon, thousands of tow trucks and haulers were coming from out of state to pick up these cars to sell at auction. There was a story where a guy found his F150 pickup for sale at a dealership and it had a used car title, not salvaged. Do your homework before you buy anything! This photo is only a small percentage of lost vehicles from Long Island.

Attachments

Reactions: y2krtaf

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had my 2011 Corvette GS totaled in Hurricane Sandy. It might have went to Calverton as I didnt live too far away from there actually. (Our house was right on the water.)

Anyways..I got the $$s from GEICO and the car was sold at auction in Texas..The guy who bought it turned it into a track car.

I saw it listed on an auction site (in Texas of all places) a few months later "as sold" and called the seller explaining it was my car and was curious about what it took to get it running again. (All the electronics are in the passenger floor board and there was a reaction to the salt water and all the copper.) He told me the buyer planned to strip it and use it as a track car.

Hope so...a floods not the right way to go out for a fine piece of machinery.

I hate looking a these pictures..

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Had to upload one from better days.

Could'nt leave those bad ones up without a good one. LOL

It had a red and black interior..it was pretty slick.

On another note hope any members here from Texas are making out ok, and no real troubles for them. Fingers crossed..Ive been through this and its awful. The car was just a small part of the damages.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
Looter scumbags, evacuate and they come steal your wheels.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
yeah don't buy any used cars for the next coupe of years. The insurance companies will be dumping these things all over the country. Even new ones on lots that they had to buy. They should either make the insurance companies crush flood cars or guarantee them for life if they sell them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My heart goes out to anyone surviving a hurricane. We don't know what that's like in the Midwest. We just have to Dodge tornadoes and floods.

Mopar or No Car, Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,235 Posts
Coming to a dealer near you :) I heard once, a good way to check for water intrusion is to extend the seat belt fully out and inspect for crud. Most people don't consider that when trying to hide a submerged vehicle repair.
Great idea. Another one I used was to run a long cotton swab down one of the A/C vent shafts. I picked up a coating of soil verifying what I already suspected; the Honda Civic I was looking to buy as a cheap commuter car was a flood car. This was back in the '90s; the Honda was from St. Louis when the mid-west got flooded.

Also looked for grit under the trunk matting, and a suspicious looking line across the bottom third of the firewall; that's where the flood waters stopped.

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
Autonation said they have lost thousands of cars and all 18 of their Houston dealerships are closed. Brampton about to get a ton of orders.

Hellcat getting wet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looter scumbags
Would not be surprised if some of those looters ah~hem accidentally drown... >:)

I mean seriously, unless they are just stuffing those wheels in a garage around the block. More of the roads are closed down there than open.
Cannot imagine they are going far?

The bad part is even if police catch them, their hands are already full with rescues. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If you lived right on the water......why the heck did you leave your baby in the garage and not move it higher ground?
Just wondering.

·
Super Moderator
14,189 Posts
If you lived right on the water......why the heck did you leave your baby in the garage and not move it higher ground? Just wondering.
Good point. I heard of one guy in New York who moved his Challenger to a commercial garage for protection during Super Storm Sandy and the garage got flooded!

·
Super Moderator
14,189 Posts
Looter scumbags, evacuate and they come steal your wheels.

I guess any wheel lock can be defeated, but that why I have two Gorilla locks, with the spinning sleeves, on each of the forged wheels of my SRT.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts