Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Challenger vs Camaro Article

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  allhemi 
#1 ·
Cool article on Edmunds 2006 Detroit Auto Show -- Challenger vs. Camaro
When I first saw the spy photos of the Dodge Challenger Concept I was somewhat annoyed. My first thought? "Hey, I could go buy my own 1970 Challenger shell and drop in a modern Hemi crate engine and throw on some 20-inch wheels." Of course, as I noted in my latest Carmudgeon, it would probably cost me more to "restify" an old model then it will to buy a new Challenger when it arrives in 2007 as a 2008 model. I certainly didn't find it to be an inspired design -- but this comes from the guy who recently bought a Ford GT... And, like the Ford GT, the use of a classic shape has resulted in an undeniably striking vehicle. After about four "fly bys" of the Dodge booth in Cobo Hall I'd gone from "Ah, they just stole an old design!" to "Wow! That thing is really *$%&ing cool!" The latter feeling has stuck with me over the ensuing four days, and now I'm simply wondering if the budget and garage can handle yet another unnecessary toy.

#2 ·
Somebody gets it. Yes, the design is borrowed but it is still as fresh today as it was then (as updated). It is just a fabulous design principal - long flat hood, rear deck, compact shape that doesn't harbor a lot of weird creases, bulges, slashes or humps. It just looks clean and muscular. This car is not trying to be a great sports car or great GT car. Just a GREAT car. And it should be. (Still praying for 3800 lbs). But the author understands that a great machine that looks great is a good thing, regardless if it has been done before. Ask any designer and they will tell you that just about everything made today has been done before in some form.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.