Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are noob questions but hopefully Challenger drivers with experience will share their knowledge.

Which are best for road course handling, such as autocross and/or track days: 18x8 wheels with more rubber or 20x8 wheels with less rubber?

What's the difference between autocross & track days?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
These are noob questions but hopefully Challenger drivers with experience will share their knowledge.

Which are best for road course handling, such as autocross and/or track days: 18x8 wheels with more rubber or 20x8 wheels with less rubber?

What's the difference between autocross & track days?

18s will allow you more tire selection and also lower your CG in the car. Currently I'm running 18x11s with 315/30/18 BFG or Hoosiers on mine for autocross.

Track days are usually broken up into 3 sessions of about 20 minutes each. And then further broken down into experience level novice, intermediate and advanced. You will be on track with all the other cars in your run group. These are non timed events. Typically passing is allowed in certain sections of the track and always by point by.

Autocross is a timed event where a course is set up in a parking lot, airfield or other large area. Length is usually 40-60 seconds and you'll get anywhere from 4 to 8 runs at the course. There's usually only 2-3 cars on course at one time and spaced out so you're never near each other.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
I bought an extra OEM set of SRT rims and went with Potenza RE71Rs 285/35/20. The traction is perfect for autocross as the tires don't need to heat up much to stick. They also worked great at the big track. I just lowered the car and adjusted the camber so that should help next session!

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
18s will allow you more tire selection and also lower your CG in the car. Currently I'm running 18x11s with 315/30/18 BFG or Hoosiers on mine for autocross.
I bought an extra OEM set of SRT rims and went with Potenza RE71Rs 285/35/20. The traction is perfect for autocross as the tires don't need to heat up much to stick. They also worked great at the big track. I just lowered the car and adjusted the camber so that should help next session!
If I'm understanding, for stability such as in turns, are 18" wheels with a lower aspect ration & wider width best?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If I'm understanding, for stability such as in turns, are 18" wheels with a lower aspect ration & wider width best?
Yes the smaller diameter will lower your center of gravity which won't necessarily affect stability but will affect body roll. Less body roll equals better turning capabilities. Wider width will give you extra contact patch of the tire which will further increase traction during turns. It also increases your track width which helps stability some but more traction is your friend with all this weight we're slinging around.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Another question, do you have the Brembos and do 18s fit over them?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Another question, do you have the Brembos and do 18s fit over them?
Yes I do. And yes they do, but I've been told certain kinds like super deep concave don't. I've currently got a set of XXRs on mine and I have a set of Forgestar F14s on order.

·
Vendor
12,278 Posts
important mods, frame connectors and both front and rear strut braces......you want as much tire as you can possibly fit.....there is no such thing as too much rubber
Luke

1 - 8 of 8 Posts