Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've seen conflicting posts various websites about the true bolt pattern of the LX/LC cars.

1) I know it's listed as 5X115mm.

2) The "old" Mopar bolt pattern was 5X4.5"

3) When comparing both in the US Standard system the difference is ~0.028" or 0.70mm, not a lot but enough to cause problems if it really is wrong.

Has anybody actually tried to mount a rim from a LX/LC car onto an older car with the 5X4.5" bolt pattern? I ask because it there is no true difference then I might but a set of 17" or 18" rims on my 97 Jeep DD to replace the corodded 15" wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know but I don't have a LX car to test it with. I was hoping somebody with both had already tested this.

·
Registered
210 Posts
5 x 4.5 (or 114.3) is NOT the same as 5 x 115. BUT in the real world, that swap is done all the time. Remember we're talking diameter of the imaginary circle that passes through the center of each wheel stud. On a 5 lug vehicle, no two studs are ever directly opposite each other. So a better indicator is to use any given radius from the center of the bolt circle to the center of any stud. If you do the math, you'll find that each stud is only off .35 of a millimeter.

The real trick to using 5x4.5 in place of 5x115 is to tighten them evenly. Torque them with the tire off the ground if possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts