Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Challenger's Terrible Handling?

46K views 169 replies 70 participants last post by  Hal H 
#1 · (Edited)
I think we've all heard many times how bad the handling is on the Challenger. Almost every professional review mentions it and says that it's competitors are so far ahead of the Challenger when it come to handling.

I just purchased my first Challenger (2019 Sublime Scat Pack) and before I did I test drove the Challenger, the Charger, the Mustang GT, and a Camaro SS. To be honest, I didn't notice a drop of difference at anytime under 80mph and nothing over 80mph that wasn't to be expected because of the size differences between the cars. Even then the differences were very slight. I thought all four felt solid and well planted. I do have to confess that for the past 15 years I have driven a 2005 Ford F-150, a 2010 Jeep JK, and a 2017 Jeep JKU so it is quite possible I have lost the ability to tell what good handling actually feels like. I mean almost any regular car would feel amazing compared to those boats. I do not drive a lot (in three months I have put 1200 miles on it) but I live out some challenging roads (Washougal River Rd in Washington State...if anyone knows it they understand what I mean) and the Challenger still feels rock solid to me on the winding roads of the pacific northwest.

So, my question is this...is the Challenger as bad as some would have to believe and I am just too numb to notice or is it all overblown and the Challenger performs much better than people like to portray?

See less See more
#2 ·
They are generally referring to on a track, and track times. If you really threw it around on the street somehow, I'm sure you'd find more roll, etc. but as you say, that can mostly be attributed to the weight difference. Mind the track purposed models with magnetic suspension, etc. would not be a direct comparison to even other trims of the same model

A Guy

Reactions: SpeedShift
#4 ·
It is all relative.

My Challlenger Hellcat will never be a canyon carver -- didn't buy it with this usage in mind -- but when driven in a manner that takes into account the car's weight -- approx 4400lbs -- and high center of gravity and just adequate tires and 707hp which can have me in way over my head and reach the limits of the car's handling/grip/braking it does ok.

In some cases when I push the car a bit it surprises me with a bit more/better handling than is in evidence under more moderate usage. But I still know there's a limit to what it can do and avoid reaching that limit.

#5 · (Edited)
I previously owned a 2015 SRT392 Challenger w/A8. It was optioned with the summer Pirelli's.(275/40/20's)
In 2015, that car in that configuration, was the best handling Challenger in Dodges line up. It was/is about 200lbs lighter than a comparably equipped Hellcat.

I currently own a 2013 BOSS 302 Mustang w/6spd. It has the OEM summer Pirellis tires as well. Its bone stock.
In 2013, it was the 2nd best handling Mustang in Fords line up. The best was the BOSS 302 "Laguna Seca."
The BOSS is about 200lbs lighter than a Shelby GT500.

Both of my previous cars have/had adjustable suspension. The roads were I live are a bit rough, to say the least. I kept the SRT's suspension in "Sport" mode. "Track" mode was WAY to stiff.

I keep the BOSS's suspension set at "2" and "2" front and rear. It has 5 adjustments. Its definitely set on the softer side. It lets the suspension work a bit more.

This is my take on the SRT Challenger:
#1 The cars high speed stability is fantastic. Rock solid and confidence inspiring.
#2 It actually has a lot more grip in the turns than you would think.
#3 The 6 piston Brembo brakes are unbelievably good.
#4 Yes, the car has some body roll when transitioning quickly from left to right turns. It takes a moment for it to take "set". Yes, you can feel the weight.
#5 WOW! This 6.4 V8 has impressive low end power that only gets better as the RPMs climb to its 6,200 rpm redline.

My take on the BOSS:
#1 The cars turn in is sharp and immediate.
#2 It has a lot of grip
#3 The 4 piston Brembo brakes are good, but not great.
#4 There is very little body roll when transitioning quickly from left to right turns. Car basically stays flat.
#5 HOLY COW! This 5.0 "Road Runner" BOSS engine absolutely comes ALIVE at 4,000 rpm and pulls VERY HARD all the way to its 7,500 rpm redline.

I have enjoyed both cars.

Truth be told, the BOSS does hold an advantage. Not so much in its road holding/grip, but in its responsiveness. The BOSS instantly responds to your every move, whether it be with the throttle, clutch, brake or steering wheel.
The Challenger was not so hyper sensitive to my inputs.
The two cars feel different from each other in that way.

IMHO, on the street/back roads, even when driven "aggressively", there is not enough difference to claim that one is "far superior" to the other. More of a personal preference.
Both are great performing/handling cars. Both are fast and fun! They are different.

On a tight track or autocross course, (I haven't done either) I would guess that the BOSS would have a greater advantage.

My next ride will most likely be another Challenger. This time a 6spd. Hoping that by adding a clutch and shifter, that the next Challenger can gain some of the "liveliness" that the BOSS has in spades.
A 6spd SPWB would fit the bill nicely! ;) A 6spd SRT392, T/A 392 or SP w/dynamics would also work as well.

#6 ·
You have to remember that these reviewers and journalists are used to driving Porsches, Ferraris, C8 Corvettes, etc. They are going from cars like that to cars like our Mopars, depending on what they're reviewing any given week. Us average everyday people are more likely used to driving some work truck or plain old car/SUV/crossover thing. By comparison, a Challenger is a total sports car. Maybe not always but you get what I mean. That's also why they complain about cheap plastic bits in interiors, stuff that most of us don't even notice or care about unless it's pointed out to us.

#26 ·
Are we talking about youtube? These "experts" got their fame and get paid by getting hits, likes, and subscribes.

Yes, I subscribed to the "Fantastic 7", and often they all review the same thing, on the same day, and said exactly the same things. IMO, they are all bias in some ways. They have to said "good things" to say on the good sides of auto manufactures. If they don't say good things, they are out, won't get the invite, free trip, or cars to review. And become a Class B reviewer where they review cars from the retail dealerships.

Not saying what they say is all BS. Often times they try to make themselves sound like they drove at LeMans last week.

#8 ·
In the dry I find it not too bad considering its size and weight. In the wet, or on UK greasy winter roads, I do find it a little lacking in feel of what it's about to do, and it will step sideways without provocation. To suddenly find no front grip with no difference in steering wheel feel is a little disconcerting, when the shopping car driven by granny in front has just gone round the same slippery curve with no problem - I certainly don't lean on it in the wet as I might in any other car I own. But then sat in my garage is a Caterham 7 and a Lancia Delta integrale . . . a Challenger is never ever going to challenge (sorry!) either of those in terms of handling and road holding.

But neither of those has a V8 ;)

#9 ·
Automotive reviewers. Dime a dozen, and have to "cater" to those that spend the most on their companies adds.

We're talking street performance correct? Let's face it, one can't push a SXT to its' limits on the street.

"Performance" is in the hands of the driver. Learn your cars limits and quirks, and let the fools shoot their "hot air."

#13 · (Edited)
We're talking street performance correct? Let's face it, one can't push a SXT to its' limits on the street.

"Performance" is in the hands of the driver. Learn your cars limits and quirks, and let the fools shoot their "hot air."
Agread.

Secondary roads, mountain roads and side streets are not race tracks. They might be a place to explore/enjoy some of your cars performance, but not a great place to find its absolute limits.

The performance ceiling of all of the cars in question here (Mustang GT, SP Challenger, Camaro SS) are so high, that it takes a skilled driver on a race course to exploit one cars advantage over the other.

On the street, the performance advantages of one over the other are either non apparent or minimal at best.

As always, the driver plays the biggest part.

#11 ·
Just like every magazine, car show Dodge is always this that or the other been the bastard child of the big 3 for years. I use my own judgement I don't race or track my car, but ever since I switched to Dodge brand I have never broken down can't say the same about the others.

Mopar or No Car

#12 ·
The Challenger is a muscle car, not a sports car, and that's why I do not expect it to handle like the Austin Healey 3000 I had back in the day; a real sports car. On a side note, I was cruising up the coast highway in southern Kalifornia one day and stumbled across another Healey 3000 at a gas station that had a 426 Hemi in it.

#15 ·
It's got Goodyears on - had new rears when I bought it, replaced the fronts while it was still in Houston as they were so much cheaper than in the UK. Had good performance from Uniroyals here in the UK on other cars - due to the amount of tread left on the Challenger tyres, I've not yet looked to see it they do anything in suitable sizes.

#19 ·
My 2015 SRT392 has done around 20k miles in the 2 years since I shipped it to the UK, including a tour of the Pyrenees in late September 2018 and a track day at Anglesey circuit last summer.

I run Pirelli Pilot Sport 4S - 295/35 on the rear and 285/35 on the front. They're fantastic, wet or dry. Try them and you will definitely thank me

#16 · (Edited)
Journalists have forgotten what terrible handling is. My Challenger feels like a race car, because this is my other car:

You want terrible handling? I gotcha covered. Funny that the Love Boat weighs 37 pounds less than the SXT, so it's not all about weight.

#17 ·
Considering you can buy a Challenger that pulls 1g on the skidpad you can buy more handling than you will ever use not the street. The percentage of people who actually roadrace Challengers, Camaro's or Mustangs is minuscule because no one wants to go through $1000 in tires every weekend no matter how rich you are. Go to a local road race event and see what's zipping around, you might be surprised.

#20 ·
anyone who thinks they dont handle good..has never tested them out..and has only listened to people who just dont know........i had a dealer try to tell me they were made for the qtr mile track... haha
they handle great...I have driven my old one all over the country and I was never easy on it...I have been 100 plus in turns tires screaming.....the new one I haven't pushed as hard but I certainly tested it out...bought it in AZ live in NH...drove it back...it handles better then the original.....

#22 ·
From my very limited performance driving (limited, not zero) I would agree. Definitely not the best, BUT still pretty dang good in comparison to most stuff on the road. Like drag racing, doesn't matter what you bring, only 1 car is the best, everything else if fighting for 2nd place. And with so many cars out there that are built for the track now, competition is tough. But I haven't found a car that RIDES NICE in decades. But at least to me, the Challenger/Chargers are very stable and predictable, some cars I have been in probably could turn quicker laps, but dang you never knew when you were on the edge and were more dangerous, to me.

Reactions: SpeedShift
#29 ·
Track, road course and drag cars are all different set ups, so how does driving on the street prove anything ???

Set up the car for the street and U will like the handling WAY better...……………..

#30 ·
I still want to know what Dodge could do with the Challenger if they actually made a track-focused version, and didn't hold back. The SP Widebody is the closest thing, even though it's still a street car it is very capable and much improved over other, previous Challengers.

#35 ·
EVERYTHING is relative.

The Challenger handles "decently".

It's no competition for the feel of a true modern sports car and any attempt to suggest it is pretty silly.

How-ever for it's massive weight and big footprint on the road it's not bad at all. Dodge has taken a car that weighs in closer to the scale tipping figures we usually associate with Pick Up trucks and SUVs and given you more that you expect when you first drive the car and really wrap your head around the "BIG" in the car.

It's just my opinion but on the street the "feel" and general impression is where a car defines itself for me.

For most drivers it's good enough, certainly NOT "terrible".

If you bought a challenger with corner carving in mind or just an over-all sports car "feel"........ hey, I don't know what you were thinking.

On the street "sporty" is different than on the track anyway.

You could post excellent super car beating times at the Nuremberg Ring in a ZL1 Camaro set up with the really amazing 1LE option........ for a fraction of the price you'd expect to pay for so much performance. Yet, compare this same car to a Mazda Miata on a tight twisty road at LEGAL SPEEDS and I promise you that same sure footed Camaro will feel like a TANK by way of Comparison to the little roadster.

Everything is relative and what works best on the track may not translate to the street as well as you'd first expect before actually driving 'em and living with 'em in the real world.

Are there better handling cars out there than the Challenger? Definitely.

Is the Challenger truly terrible in the way it handles on the street. No not at all. It turns very well, with the Brembos it stops better than most and the acceleration with a 6.4 is just about as good as a Mustang GT or Camaro SS and if you go super charged you're as fast as most anything with RWD.

The Challlenger is no top flight ballet dancer.........but it's not exactly the Hippo on roller skates the magazines would have you believe it is either.

#37 ·
I think for years the challenger just came poorly equipped. Besides being heavy, they always come with undersized tires and comfort shocks vs a sportier setup. Its amazing what wheels and tires, along with some minor suspension upgrades can do to these cars.

Stock i would spin out going 25mph taking an onramp

Now i exit close to 65mph....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.