Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Vendor
12,215 Posts
if you have ever tracked one, you would agree not the best handling car on the road, street and track, not the same thing

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,425 Posts
From my very limited performance driving (limited, not zero) I would agree. Definitely not the best, BUT still pretty dang good in comparison to most stuff on the road. Like drag racing, doesn't matter what you bring, only 1 car is the best, everything else if fighting for 2nd place. And with so many cars out there that are built for the track now, competition is tough. But I haven't found a car that RIDES NICE in decades. But at least to me, the Challenger/Chargers are very stable and predictable, some cars I have been in probably could turn quicker laps, but dang you never knew when you were on the edge and were more dangerous, to me.

·
Vendor
12,215 Posts
biggest challenge is the weight

·
Registered
683 Posts
You have to remember that these reviewers and journalists are used to driving Porsches, Ferraris, C8 Corvettes, etc. They are going from cars like that to cars like our Mopars, depending on what they're reviewing any given week. Us average everyday people are more likely used to driving some work truck or plain old car/SUV/crossover thing. By comparison, a Challenger is a total sports car. Maybe not always but you get what I mean. That's also why they complain about cheap plastic bits in interiors, stuff that most of us don't even notice or care about unless it's pointed out to us.
Are we talking about youtube? These "experts" got their fame and get paid by getting hits, likes, and subscribes.

Yes, I subscribed to the "Fantastic 7", and often they all review the same thing, on the same day, and said exactly the same things. IMO, they are all bias in some ways. They have to said "good things" to say on the good sides of auto manufactures. If they don't say good things, they are out, won't get the invite, free trip, or cars to review. And become a Class B reviewer where they review cars from the retail dealerships.

Not saying what they say is all BS. Often times they try to make themselves sound like they drove at LeMans last week.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Are we talking about youtube? These "experts" got their fame and get paid by getting hits, likes, and subscribes.

Yes, I subscribed to the "Fantastic 7", and often they all review the same thing, on the same day, and said exactly the same things. IMO, they are all bias in some ways. They have to said "good things" to say on the good sides of auto manufactures. If they don't say good things, they are out, won't get the invite, free trip, or cars to review. And become a Class B reviewer where they review cars from the retail dealerships.

Not saying what they say is all BS. Often times they try to make themselves sound like they drove at LeMans last week.
For the most part, yes. But I'm also referring to the Motor Trend and Car and Driver types (Who are also on youtube). I find that when one or a few of them have an opinion such as this, the others will agree and repeat that opinion. Maybe they're afraid of being the odd ones out.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
114 Posts
I disagree with this. When I've seen it commented on, its mostly in comparison to its peers, Mustang & Camaro. Over time, Mustang & Camaro have veered much closer to sports cars, albeit with a barely usable back seat. Challenger is a much bigger, heavier car so it starts at a disadvantage. That being said, it has a big advantage as far as every day usefulness. Everything is a trade off.
In addition to my '16 Scat Pack, I have an 18 Camaro RS in my household, my son's. Obviously its way down on power, but its much lighter on its feet & tossable. The camaro is fun to drive, even with the base suspension. The Challenger handles well for a big car, but IMO it never hides its size.

You have to remember that these reviewers and journalists are used to driving Porsches, Ferraris, C8 Corvettes, etc. They are going from cars like that to cars like our Mopars,

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
619 Posts
Track, road course and drag cars are all different set ups, so how does driving on the street prove anything ???

Set up the car for the street and U will like the handling WAY better...……………..

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I still want to know what Dodge could do with the Challenger if they actually made a track-focused version, and didn't hold back. The SP Widebody is the closest thing, even though it's still a street car it is very capable and much improved over other, previous Challengers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Journalists have forgotten what terrible handling is. My Challenger feels like a race car, because this is my other car:

You want terrible handling? I gotcha covered. Funny that the Love Boat weighs 37 pounds less than the SXT, so it's not all about weight.
I feel ya....this was my car through most of my 20s. We called it "the brown barge."

·
Registered
709 Posts
I feel ya....this was my car through most of my 20s. We called it "the brown barge."

View attachment 986859
Nice lol, I came from driving a 2001 Dodge Durango into my 2016 SRT 392 so naturally it felt like a super car by comparison. That being said, now I'm starting to notice its handling limits more after a few months. I'm planning on new, grippier tires, subframe connectors, a shock tower brace, and KW lowering springs that let me keep my stock shocks. Might also eventually upgrade the sway bars and the end links, maybe the front and rear control arms too.

So many people focus on nothing but engine mods. True, going faster is fun, especially since we're at a big weight disadvantage, but it's amazing just how good these cars can handle with fairly basic suspension mods.

·
Super Moderator
13,701 Posts
I still want to know what Dodge could do with the Challenger if they actually made a track-focused version, and didn't hold back. The SP Widebody is the closest thing, even though it's still a street car it is very capable and much improved over other, previous Challengers.

You mean like these Trans Am cars?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
EVERYTHING is relative.

The Challenger handles "decently".

It's no competition for the feel of a true modern sports car and any attempt to suggest it is pretty silly.

How-ever for it's massive weight and big footprint on the road it's not bad at all. Dodge has taken a car that weighs in closer to the scale tipping figures we usually associate with Pick Up trucks and SUVs and given you more that you expect when you first drive the car and really wrap your head around the "BIG" in the car.

It's just my opinion but on the street the "feel" and general impression is where a car defines itself for me.

For most drivers it's good enough, certainly NOT "terrible".

If you bought a challenger with corner carving in mind or just an over-all sports car "feel"........ hey, I don't know what you were thinking.

On the street "sporty" is different than on the track anyway.

You could post excellent super car beating times at the Nuremberg Ring in a ZL1 Camaro set up with the really amazing 1LE option........ for a fraction of the price you'd expect to pay for so much performance. Yet, compare this same car to a Mazda Miata on a tight twisty road at LEGAL SPEEDS and I promise you that same sure footed Camaro will feel like a TANK by way of Comparison to the little roadster.

Everything is relative and what works best on the track may not translate to the street as well as you'd first expect before actually driving 'em and living with 'em in the real world.

Are there better handling cars out there than the Challenger? Definitely.

Is the Challenger truly terrible in the way it handles on the street. No not at all. It turns very well, with the Brembos it stops better than most and the acceleration with a 6.4 is just about as good as a Mustang GT or Camaro SS and if you go super charged you're as fast as most anything with RWD.

The Challlenger is no top flight ballet dancer.........but it's not exactly the Hippo on roller skates the magazines would have you believe it is either.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think for years the challenger just came poorly equipped. Besides being heavy, they always come with undersized tires and comfort shocks vs a sportier setup. Its amazing what wheels and tires, along with some minor suspension upgrades can do to these cars.

Stock i would spin out going 25mph taking an onramp

Now i exit close to 65mph....

·
Registered
683 Posts
Mind if I go off topic a bit and may even mix up the terms, but I think you'll still get my question.

Trans Am cars are like NASCAR cars from the beginning up till the late 1980s. Meaning, what they race on Sundays, is what I can "buy" on Monday.

Then NASCAR moved away from that. I can't buy a RWD V8 and OHV Toyota Camry.

I know I'm mixing cars, organization, and racing series.

When Dodge wins Trans Am, it means something IMO. When Dodge wins NASCAR, it does not mean much now. All the cars are the same with different stickers.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
162 Posts
Totally agree on the Nascar comment. I found it much more interesting when the cars were actually ones you could buy from the showroom.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
128 Posts
Drive a late 60s or early 70s Mopar and then tell me how bad the current Challenger handles.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts