Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
657 Posts
If anyone is driving out to the San Francisco Bay area for vacation...Give me a call and I'll show many miles in Marin County of very winding roads starting just behind where I live...Very curvy...Straights to sharp turns to switchbacks and some long straights...and a nice run to the coast...or a nice road by Skywalker Ranch...These cars are fun and handle much better than all the negative comments...Just put it in Sport or Track Mode ... Well, not as much fun if trapped behind a Prius...

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
657 Posts

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
My 2011 Roush Mustang drove well... until the road was wet or rough, or both. I feel a lot more comfortable in my Challenger (and DD which has independent rear end) in these conditions and the only real difference I have noticed between the Roush and the Dodge is having to be aware of the extra weight in the front of the Dodge.
As for torque, all I can say it was very lacking in the Ford but vary satisfying in the Dodge.
Am I biased? no, I just like torque and my DD is a Ford... a car I am in no hurry to replace.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 6.4 WK
91 Posts
I can only speak for the Scat Pack but my car does not handle terribly, it handles quite well. In fact, this is the first time I have ever heard anyone comment that the Challenger handles "horribly" so I'm wondering where you heard that.

I think people on the internet hear that it doesn't handle as well as the GT or SS and make presumptions about the Challenger, but then they overlook the widebody Challenger. There are super cars that weigh as much as the Challenger that will track better than any stock trim Camaro or Mustang, the Bugatti Veyron comes to mind, proof that it's not only about the weight. The Camaro and Mustang have become more sports car than Muscle car. Muscle car is my jam.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think we've all heard many times how bad the handling is on the Challenger. Almost every professional review mentions it and says that it's competitors are so far ahead of the Challenger when it come to handling.

I just purchased my first Challenger (2019 Sublime Scat Pack) and before I did I test drove the Challenger, the Charger, the Mustang GT, and a Camaro SS. To be honest, I didn't notice a drop of difference at anytime under 80mph and nothing over 80mph that wasn't to be expected because of the size differences between the cars. Even then the differences were very slight. I thought all four felt solid and well planted. I do have to confess that for the past 15 years I have driven a 2005 Ford F-150, a 2010 Jeep JK, and a 2017 Jeep JKU so it is quite possible I have lost the ability to tell what good handling actually feels like. I mean almost any regular car would feel amazing compared to those boats. I do not drive a lot (in three months I have put 1200 miles on it) but I live out some challenging roads (Washougal River Rd in Washington State...if anyone knows it they understand what I mean) and the Challenger still feels rock solid to me on the winding roads of the pacific northwest.

So, my question is this...is the Challenger as bad as some would have to believe and I am just too numb to notice or is it all overblown and the Challenger performs much better than people like to portray?
Are you the same guy who reviews everything about guns? ?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
The 09 & 18 SRT's handle like a LaFerrari compared to the 70 RT. That was the most dangerous car I have ever owned handling wise. Short wheel base and a 440 Six Pack up front was a accident waiting to happen. Turned that sucker into a straight line trailered drag car. Nothing has changed in the last 50 years, the lighter smaller cars still handle better, No surprise there...

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,318 Posts
136 Funny Mustang Memes of 2016 on SIZZLE | Cars

Mustang or Camaro Neither | Make a Meme

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,587 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
If anyone is driving out to the San Francisco Bay area for vacation...Give me a call and I'll show many miles in Marin County of very winding roads starting just behind where I live...Very curvy...Straights to sharp turns to switchbacks and some long straights...and a nice run to the coast...or a nice road by Skywalker Ranch...These cars are fun and handle much better than all the negative comments...Just put it in Sport or Track Mode ... Well, not as much fun if trapped behind a Prius...
think I drove from san franciso point reyes light house, it was pretty fun. think there were some curves

·
Registered
739 Posts
IMHO, this is one of the better SP performance reviews.
The car is a 2018 6spd 392 Shaker w/dynamics package.

Please watch the entire video and then ask yourself...."Do I really need a better handling car for STREET driving??"

·
Premium Member
9,196 Posts
If you still have the Pirelli's on, that could be the problem. Try a set of Continential or Michelin tires when ready. Night and day difference.
I put Continental Extreme Contract tires on after the Good Year OEM set at 9000 miles and much happier now.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
278 Posts
In defense of the old Mopars, they are way under spring from the factory. I put .99 torsion bars, Bilstein shock, 1.125 sway bar, offset UCA bushings for more caster and modern 17” rubber on my Duster and the thing handles great. I have limited time in it so far (Challenger is just a nicer car to drive) but initial impressions are that it rides and handles at least as well as my R/T. And it really wasn’t much more than a suspension rebuild with updated parts.

And per the suggestions on FABO, I am still fairly undersprung. Most guys that care about handling are running even larger bars.

For comparison, the stock torsion bar for my car was .87”, and a big block A-Body would have had just a .89” bar.

Just wish I had more gears and a 5.7 Hemi in it. And AC. Oh and cruise control. And....

Going to find out how the Duster handles soon, though. The R/T is going on the block in the very near future so I can spend a year paying down some debt and then move into an SP. Duster will likely be my DD this summer unless selling the Challenger takes awhile.

Nice thing about an old Mopar is, it really just needs some better components. With a Ford or GM of the same era, you have to pretty seriously rework the suspension. With a Mustang, you can drill new mounting holes for upper control arm to help it, but the Camaro needs a whole new suspension the design is so bad.

And I don’t buy the hype that everything has to go to coil overs to handle well. For a GM it might be the best, spring location on the lower control arm is so far back that you almost have to double the spring rate to get a decent wheel rate, making for huge springs. So they swap out the entire subframe and the new one comes with coil overs. Does that mean a coil over suspension handles better? If the geometry is improved then yes, but the same suspension with a coil over is going to handle the same or even worse.

The front suspension design of an old Mopar was worlds ahead of the others. It just needs some tweaks to bring it into the 21st century.

In regards to my Challenger, I think it handles great.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
618 Posts
yes, me thinks mine handles/rides great on the worst roads ever. Roads/drivers skill is what need to be discussed, not the cars issues.

From the guy has driven LOTS of cars not my own...…………..

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,208 Posts
I had a 2014 R/T which was nothing to write home about.my 2017 T/A i took on a real road course up in tamworth NH there was no passing we had to run in a row but the car handled really well so the newer models handle a lot better. I actually now prefer the road racing to the drag strip but it gets pricey

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I was impressed with the big girl's handling at Bondurant. Made me much more confident to drive her hard in the mountains.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts