Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time here: I want to install a Magnaflow muffler on my 2010 Challenger SE V6 3.5 (solo exhaust) and keep the stock resonator. Change only the muffler. Will the change hurt performance in any way? Like lose torque or even horsepower?

I'm just looking for a better sound, not better performance. But if it does help performance, the better it is.

I've been looking thru several posts on different forums and I get the idea that messing with the stock exhaust can hurt performance on these engines. I'm from the old school where freeing up exhaust pressure is a good thing. Like a my ole '65 Dodge Coronet (that I recently had to sell) with a 383 putting out about 380hp. That had a very nice free flowing exhaust system. So these new cars are really different for me!

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
If you leave on the resonators it will be pretty quiet, if your looking for more tone I'm betting you won't be happy. The resonators are chambered so they quiet the sound.
You can try it with the resonator on and always cut it off later.

I just had some Flowmaster Super 44's installed on my 2016 SXT Plus where the mid pipe mufflers were and had the rear bumper resonators cut off and I have nice deep tone and very little drone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cut off the resonator pipe exit (turn down) which made it so I could see into the resonator. The design is similar to a glass pack only the pipe going thru the resonator is shaped like a slight 'S' shape. No chambers. There are two resonator designs I've seen of cut-aways on single exhaust SE's. One like a glass pack and one that is chambered. I lucked out with the glass pack style. Does that make a difference on the sound adding a free flow muffler?

PS, does reducing back pressure hurt performance?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts