Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'am going to buy Challenger. Yeap, that's how cool I am. In fact I want it to be my final, lifetime vehicle. I'm close to my forties so there is a long term relationship before me and my baby. As you are all well aware during 30 - 50 years of exploitation there are couple of visits to a doctor that awaits us and I would like to make them as less expensive as possible. Taking it from this point of view please share your thoughts about Challenger SE/SXT/RT 2009-2014 versus SXT/RT 2015 and beyond.

To my thinking 2011-2014 SXT is the cheapest option in the long term because:
- simpler electronics (when compered to 2015)
- less complicated automatic transmission (when compered to 2015)
- lots of pieces sold (when compered to SE)

But maybe there are some failure frequency statistics that I'm not aware of which says that some options are risky.

Thanks for elaborating on this one in advance!

Bartek
p.s. I live offshore so getting spare parts means additional costs for me.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
for the SXT, I'd recommend the '15+ the A8 transmission would provided more lively performance and you'll get better MPG as well.

For the early years SXT, the '11/'12 might have had the cylinder head issues and if you get your hands on a low mile one that wasn't included in the service campaign - don't need to go through that.

The other aspect is, the '15+ models have much more features than the '14 and earlier series did.

·
Registered
694 Posts
wow close to 40 & thinking last vehicle. now when your 70 & pull the trigger then to say last new vehicle is worth thinking about. by the time your 70, you'll be lucky to drive the vehicle & it not drive you. by that time human intervention in driving will be a thing of the past most likely. us human's are too unpredictable!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
wow close to 40 & thinking last vehicle. now when your 70 & pull the trigger then to say last new vehicle is worth thinking about. by the time your 70, you'll be lucky to drive the vehicle & it not drive you. by that time human intervention in driving will be a thing of the past most likely. us human's are too unpredictable!!!
Pretty much the near future is going to offer models I won't have much interest in.

Small displacement engines with expensive turbochargers that cost $$$ over the long haul

Electrified vehicles that are going to be boring things like the generic Asian 4 door sedan today, just not powered by ICE

I'm sticking to what I have and will rebuild (one car has 114k on it) and keep on going.

Much like the 80s when the desireable cars of the 60s/70s got dumped, there was a long drought of anything interesting.
-it will happen again. You see cities and states looking to legislate out sales of new ICE vehicles in the future - and its not stopping.

You'll have these boring "transportation modules" that the iPhone armed millenials gravitate toward, once they get tired of riding their bicycles in the rain to get anywhere.
-probably as exciting as a microwave oven.

The future from an enthusiast perspective - looks pretty boring.
I can see in 20 years the '18 Civic Type R will be referred to the last moments of 'super performance'...from the then 50 year-olds that will look back on this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't you seen this commercial when grandfather gives his boy the 70s Mustang? We all know that commercials don't lie, right?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for the SXT, I'd recommend the '15+ the A8 transmission would provided more lively performance and you'll get better MPG as well.
But isn't it more complicated and prone to malfunctions that are hard to repair?

The other aspect is, the '15+ models have much more features than the '14 and earlier series did.
I don't really care about features and in 20 years from now they're all be obsolete. for sure 70s challenger are and so what?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Haven't you seen this commercial when grandfather gives his boy the 70s Mustang? We all know that commercials don't lie, right?
well when i get through with driving my scat hopefully into my 80's or until that time that i can no longer get a walker into the trunk, will a least once a few times a week drive my dd her like i stole her.
i feel privileged 3 muscle cars the 1st era & 3 the 2nd era.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
But isn't it more complicated and prone to malfunctions that are hard to repair?

I don't really care about features and in 20 years from now they're all be obsolete. for sure 70s challenger are and so what?
I've had an '09 (from new) and now have a '16 - a lot of improvements over the earlier series. Materials quality and fit / finish is better too -

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
Though there's something to be said about a less complicated transmission, that A8 is just amazing. Close ratios, quick, sharp shifts; a masterpiece. It also adds some significant acceleration. You're talking about servicing the vehicle and saving money over the long haul. The V6 is what you want. But I say that because you didn't seem to care about the sound or the extra oomph provided by the V8. But do yourself this favor: sit in both a 15 (or newer) and the 11-14. You're going to spend a lot of time in that car and ya wanna be sure the interior works for you. Buyer's remorse is rough. Good luck with your decision

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I bought my Challengers as my last car purchases. I bought a 16 392 Scat Pack Shaker for fair weather fun and a 17 GT as a DD I was lucky enough to get the lifetime warranty on the 16 Challenger just before they stopped offering it on the SRT powered Challengers and I also got a lifetime warranty on my GT. So I only have to battle the Challenger eating RUST MONSTER on the GT. as all mechanicals and electronics except ware items that I will take care of in my garage. I still have the first car I bought with my own money a 57 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 J2 3spd manual that I have owned for 39 years so I have a history of keeping cars for the long run. I just pulled the 371ci engine to replace it with a 394ci engine out of a 59 Oldsmobile Super 88. As for you buying a Challenger to last for the rest of your life I would recommend a new 3.6 V6 or 5.7 V8 and get the lifetime warranty so the expensive components are covered for the long term.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,782 Posts
2016, Lifetime Warranty, 56 when bought it. Maybe not last car, but we'll see how it goes ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,937 Posts
My my love affair with the Challenger has been going on since early 2008 (when I was 33), not sure how long I will want this model, but they are all great in any variation and spec!

·
Registered
958 Posts
OP:

I own a 13SXT+. It's a wonderful car. I test drove a 15 SXT+ when they came out and I'd urge you to go with the 15 or later. The car is just so much more together with the new transmission and the gas mileage is slightly better.

The only major issue I'm aware of with the 11-14 SXT's is the alternator recall. This has been going on for some time now and appears it will take some time to resolve with factory recalls.

FWIW: these cars are toys even the V6 versions. If you're looking at this from a pure $$ proposition over the long haul then you'd be better off buying a Honda or a Toyota. The Challenger would be a fun car. You don't indicate where you are but if you don't have ready access to competent maintenance support for the car I think the ownership costs will be exorbitant over time. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I am 55, and bought my SRT 392 last year with the intent of it being a lifetime car. I own a 1998 Ford F-150 that I have had since it's birth in September, 1997, and it looks and runs like new. There is simply no satisfaction greater in the automotive world than buying, maintaining, and preserving cars and trucks well beyond the "normal" timespan of their lives. I get so many compliments on my truck, and constant offers to sell it. I will never sell it, since by now it is worth so much more to me than the 5k or so I would get on the open market.

Hopefully the SRT will be the same, 20 years for now. :clap:

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
OP, any year Challenger would be a great "lifetime" car, as long as you buy one that fits all your needs. Just keep in mind that "modding" for HP ain't cheap, so unlike the "old days", engine/tranny swaps aren't as easy or economical as they once were.

That said, IMO the '15+ cars have a lot of small "refinements" that really do add to the pleasure of driving these cars, so I would certainly suggest to keep an open mind to the newer ones.

Not a thing wrong with the pre '15's, but again, IMO, the '15+ cars are just more refined in a good way.

Best of luck deciding

Reactions: Klink

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OP:

FWIW: these cars are toys even the V6 versions. If you're looking at this from a pure $$ proposition over the long haul then you'd be better off buying a Honda or a Toyota. The Challenger would be a fun car. You don't indicate where you are but if you don't have ready access to competent maintenance support for the car I think the ownership costs will be exorbitant over time. My 2 cents.
I'm sorry but who do you take me for by suggesting Toyota over Challenger? It's like offering me a sushi when I'm in for steak. Yeah, I know the cost will be significant and I'm ready for that but just wanted to hinder it a little bit. I live in Europe. Spare parts are available but are a little bit pricier due to the custom duties.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am 55, and bought my SRT 392 last year with the intent of it being a lifetime car. I own a 1998 Ford F-150 that I have had since it's birth in September, 1997, and it looks and runs like new. There is simply no satisfaction greater in the automotive world than buying, maintaining, and preserving cars and trucks well beyond the "normal" timespan of their lives. I get so many compliments on my truck, and constant offers to sell it. I will never sell it, since by now it is worth so much more to me than the 5k or so I would get on the open market.

Hopefully the SRT will be the same, 20 years for now. :clap:
I understand you perfectly. I've just finish restoration of my Jeep and boy, what I had to deal with, constant nagging of my friends and family "sell the crap", "it's not worth it", "buy a new one" and so on. But it gives you so much satisfaction to see you car getting back to shape again not to mention that it is really hard to find anything with a soul nowadays.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OP, any year Challenger would be a great "lifetime" car, as long as you buy one that fits all your needs. Just keep in mind that "modding" for HP ain't cheap, so unlike the "old days", engine/tranny swaps aren't as easy or economical as they once were.
Yes, that is a good point. I've initially assumed that before '15 is a little bit more like the "old days" because: simpler transmission, less electronics and so on. But maybe you're right that this small refinements are more important and they're more or less equally complicated which in 20 years time would make no difference.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm sorry but who do you take me for by suggesting Toyota over Challenger? It's like offering me a sushi when I'm in for steak. Yeah, I know the cost will be significant and I'm ready for that but just wanted to hinder it a little bit. I live in Europe. Spare parts are available but are a little bit pricier due to the custom duties.

Your note didn't offer much information and frankly I found it a bit conflicted. You asked and I answered and offered some context. If you don't like the answer then don't ask the question.
:frown:
good luck with whatever you do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts