Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 5600 miles on my SRT, at 2500 miles the dealer changed the oil to Pure Synthetic Pennzoil. Now the car is telling me to change the oil, I guess it does not know it has systhetic oil in it which should last until maybe 8000 miles or more. Any thoughts on this? thanks

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I don't know whether you can do this with Challengers or not, but the change oil message intervals can be changed by the owner without needing to head for the dealer to do that for you. I'm guessing the dealer forgot to do that when they changed the oil.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Oil change lights just come up at certain mileage intervals that I believe are pre set. The car is testing or sampling the oil to see if it's good or not.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Oil change lights just come up at certain mileage intervals that I believe are pre set. The car is testing or sampling the oil to see if it's good or not.
Harder driving and higher temps can and will cause the reminder to come on more often so I don't think it is based solely on mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Here's some info from the 2013 Challenger Owner Manual:

Change Engine Oil
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is
time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
Refer to the “Maintenance Schedule” for further information.
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve
months, whichever occurs first.

Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet
the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.
The manufacturer only recommends API Certified engine oils.

CAUTION!
Do not use chemical flushes in your engine oil as the
chemicals can damage your engine. Such damage is
not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Engine Oil Viscosity – 3.6L Engine
SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating
temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature
starting and vehicle fuel economy.
The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on
engine oil filler cap location, refer to the “Engine Compartment”
illustration in this section.
NOTE: SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to Fiat 9.55535-S1
or Fiat 9.55535-S3 may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine
oil meeting MS- 6395 is not available.
Engine Oil Viscosity – 5.7L Engine
SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating
temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature
starting and vehicle fuel economy.
The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on
engine oil filler cap location, refer to “Engine Compartment”
in “Maintaining Your Vehicle” for further information.
NOTE: Vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine must use
SAE 5W-20 oil.
Failure to do so may result in improper
operation of the Fuel Saver Technology. Refer to “Fuel
Saver Technology – If Equipped” in “Starting and Operating”
for further information.
Lubricants that do not have both, the engine oil certification
mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number
should not be used.

Materials Added To Engine Oil
The manufacturer strongly recommends against the addition
of any additives (other than leak detection dyes) to
the engine oil. Engine oil is an engineered product and its
performance may be impaired by supplemental additives.

Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended
oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended
maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes
are followed.

Engine Oil Filter
The engine oil filter should be replaced with a new filter
at every engine oil change.
Engine Oil Filter Selection
This manufacturer’s engines have a full-flow type oil
filter. Use a filter of this type for replacement. The quality
of replacement filters varies considerably. Only high
quality filters should be used to assure most efficient
service. MOPAR® engine oil filters are a high quality oil
filter and are recommended.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Oil maintenance schedule - 2013 lc

Also from the 2013 Challenger Owner Manual:

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE
Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change
indicator system. The oil change indicator system will
remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for
scheduled maintenance.
Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change
indicator message will illuminate. This means that service
is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions
such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or
cold ambient temperatures, and E85 fuel usage will
influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required”
message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions
can cause the change oil message to illuminate as
early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your
vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500
miles (805 km).
On Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)
equipped vehicles, “Oil Change Required” will be displayed
in the EVIC and a single chime will sound,
indicating that an oil change is necessary.
On Non-EVIC equipped vehicles, “Change Oil” will flash
in the instrument cluster odometer and a single chime
will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.
Your authorized dealer will reset the oil change indicator
message after completing the scheduled oil change. If a
scheduled oil change is performed by someone other
than your authorized dealer, the message can be reset by
referring to the steps described under “Electronic Vehicle
Information Center (EVIC)/Oil Change Required” in
“Understanding Your Instrument Panel” or under “Instrument
Cluster Description/Odometer/Trip Odometer”
in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for
further information.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months,
whichever comes first.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Is the oil quality sampled by the car?

I have 5600 miles on my SRT, at 2500 miles the dealer changed the oil to Pure Synthetic Pennzoil. Now the car is telling me to change the oil, I guess it does not know it has systhetic oil in it which should last until maybe 8000 miles or more. Any thoughts on this? thanks
I am at the same mileage in a similar situation, except that I currently am running conventional oil. My light is on and I am planning to switch over to synthetic. I was only going to replace the oil in 12 months or 7500 miles. If the change oil light comes on before then, I was going to reset it and go by the 12 month/7,500 mile interval. I don't drive it hard and in the pacific northwest it doesn't get too hot (or too cold) for extended periods of time.

I seem to remember reading that the change oil indicator light operates by a computer algorithm (which considers mileage, driving conditions, etc) and not on the actual oil conditions. In this case, then I don't have a problem changing at an interval I have set as opposed to the computer. If anyone knows that the oil is actually sampled, please chime in as that would obviously change the oil change intervals for those running high mileage synthetic oils.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Oil is NOT sampled.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
The service manager and technician at the dealership I go to both told me the car does not sample the oil. Is there an algorithm? I don't know, but KJ392 does know his stuff so I will take his word for it.

For me personally, I'm on my 6th batch of oil at 8000 miles and 14 months of ownership. I know it's crazy and wasteful, but it's my car. I live in Albuquerque if anyone wants to come over and collect the oil I take out of my car LOL But Mobil 1 is relatively cheap!

·
Registered
968 Posts
You need to turn the car to ACC mode, not start the engine. Slowly push the gas pedal down and let it back up, and shut the car off. That will clear the code.

They forgot to reset it after my last oil change and it came on a week later, so I called and they had me do the above procedure which worked.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
You need to turn the car to ACC mode, not start the engine. Slowly push the gas pedal down and let it back up, and shut the car off. That will clear the code.

They forgot to reset it after my last oil change and it came on a week later, so I called and they had me do the above procedure which worked.
3X within 10 seconds...to clear the Oil Change message and reset the system.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3X within 10 seconds...to clear the Oil Change message and reset the system.
Alright, what is the ACC mode (accessories?) got it I think.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I asked the dealer how often I need oil changes IF...

I use synthetic. The answer was, "In order to maintain warranty....use the owner's manual guidelines...period." Sounds like 10K miles is the number. I plan on 5K changes. I like to lean toward the safe side.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Alright, what is the ACC mode (accessories?) got it I think.
Ignition in "ON" position (foot off brake for autos to prevent starting engine) / (foot off clutch for the 'stick) without starting the engine.

It won't reset in the Accessory position.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
so Hal, it's "ON" position, press gas to floor 3 times inside of 10 seconds.. correct?

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
The service manager and technician at the dealership I go to both told me the car does not sample the oil. Is there an algorithm? I don't know, but KJ392 does know his stuff so I will take his word for it.

For me personally, I'm on my 6th batch of oil at 8000 miles and 14 months of ownership. I know it's crazy and wasteful, but it's my car. I live in Albuquerque if anyone wants to come over and collect the oil I take out of my car LOL But Mobil 1 is relatively cheap!
I thought I was the only anal one about the oil. Started out changing it every 10 to 20 passes but was spending too much time under the car, so now I do it about every 1500 miles. I rarely drive my car except to and from the track and occasionally to work or running errands. I’ve gotten lazy and just keep the DRs on it all the time so I don’t drive it as much as I would like to. I don’t lose any street light to light challenges though…
I only have 11K on my car but have changed the oil a bunch. Last August when the temps were in the 100s, my oil change indicator came on with only 500 miles on the oil. I normally change it way before the indicator comes on. Cheap insurance for me, Mobil 1 and the SRT filters. I did the diff. fluid recently and was surprised how good it looked for 250 burn outs and passes at the track. Minimal fine metal particles on the magnetic plug. I was expecting pieces of clutch stuff coming out with the fluid but there was nada. These things amaze me especially if you figure that one pass puts me at close to 6600 RPM three times per pass. I cut open my oil filter the last change and there was no metal at all in the media.
I’ve seen lots of vets busting their differentials and stangs breaking axels but have never seen a broke down SRT (well once in a guy with a 300 top radiator hose popped off). Camaros are too slow to break…

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
so Hal, it's "ON" position, press gas to floor 3 times inside of 10 seconds.. correct?
that is correct - then turn ignition OFF.

To recheck if you it right, turn ignition on (w/o starting engine), wait a few seconds for all the system lamp check cycles - if no chime/message, you're good to go.

Otherwise, if you get the message, repeat the process.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Here's an interesting article all about the oil change intervals, and how it is determined. Believe it or not, there ARE some cars that do sample the oil. Not necessarily our Challengers.........Read on........HowStuffWorks "What is an oil life indicator?"

"General Motors estimates that drivers of its oil monitor-equipped vehicles could have two to three times fewer oil changes performed each year. Theoretically, according to GM, if all the GM oil monitor-equipped cars on the road observed the maximum interval for changing oil, instead of the oft-advised every 3,000 miles (4,828 kilometers), it could result in 100 million fewer gallons of oil being consumed annually. Nonetheless, GM still advises changing the oil at least once a year, regardless of how few miles you put on the odometer."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts