Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to change out the gear oil in the rear end and change out the atf in the 6060. I used severe gear 75-110W in the rear end (with their slip lock friction modifier) and then the amsoil synthetic equivalent for the ATF in the manual trans. I feel like the trans is just as notchy as ever, it didn't help and may even be a little worse. The rear end has always howled (3.92) I am sure it is from getting pounded from having a kenne bell supercharger up front, but I was hoping to quiet it down maybe. Nope. Now it is starting to clunk when I turn the car every now and then.

Thinking I should go in and change it all back out-chrysler locking differential stuff and mobil 1 gear oil for the rear and mobil 1 atf for the trans. Feel like this is "snake oil."

·
Banned
5,785 Posts
Whatever is in the manual, that is what I am using. Id change back if this is something that has happened just after changing oil.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
So I decided to change out the gear oil in the rear end and change out the atf in the 6060. I used severe gear 75-110W in the rear end (with their slip lock friction modifier) and then the amsoil synthetic equivalent for the ATF in the manual trans. I feel like the trans is just as notchy as ever, it didn't help and may even be a little worse. The rear end has always howled (3.92) I am sure it is from getting pounded from having a kenne bell supercharger up front, but I was hoping to quiet it down maybe. Nope. Now it is starting to clunk when I turn the car every now and then.

Thinking I should go in and change it all back out-chrysler locking differential stuff and mobil 1 gear oil for the rear and mobil 1 atf for the trans. Feel like this is "snake oil."
I didn't know Amsoil made a 75-110W gear oil. The 2012 owners manual states 75-90w for the getrag 226mm rear end with fiction modifier. I used Amsoil 75-90w severe gear oil and no friction modifier was needed as many differential oils already have the right amount included. Amsoil being 1 of them. I also have the Amsoil multi-vehicle ATF in the transmission and everything has gotten smoother to me. I tried Redline and didn't notice any improvement.

I don't race or beat the car, but drive aggressively.

I'm sticking with Amsoil for now, unless something is proven to be better.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts

Go get a bottle of mopar friction oil or ford and put in it. It may stop the clunk. cheap insurance that its got the right stuff in it. ive read labels on the stuff u buy with it in there. its just for topping off as far as im concerned.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Tagscribe for comments from others.

I have a case of Royal Purple Synchrmax inbound, and I plan to change my 392-M6 tranny juice with it. I've read it's a nice improvement for smooth shifter operation.

Time will tell...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Today I was able to access a lift at a friends auto shop. I have 14k miles and will be installing a Barton shifter next weekend so I decided to change out the atf+4 with amsoil atf. Since I had the lift I went ahead and did the rear end with amsoil 75 -90w and no friction modifier because it says it is in the fluid already.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
174 Posts
With the fluid change out it shifts a bit smoother. The rear end magnetic drain plug had some metal shavings but not much. All is good so far. I figure I should be good with the rear end fluid for many years to come and the transmission for 24k miles. Amsoil claimed their atf is a direct replacement for atf+4 so I do not expect any problems.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I currently use Motul 300 LS 75w90 in my Getrag 226mm. I have used Motul ATF, Redline C+ and I now use Redline D4 in my M6 and I can say that the Redline D4 is the best so far.

While Redline D4 isn't spec'd for ATF+4, it should work fine. It really seems to smooth the TR6060 out in most any vehicle.

I've changed my rear end fluid 3 times in 10,000 miles and my tranny fluid 3 times as well. I always run fresh fluids in my vehicles and I have never lost a tranny, rear end or engine through over 200+ 1/4 passes, 30 bottles of N20 and countless burnouts.

Good fluids work.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I definitely feel like the trans is more notchy, especially when cold, and especially third gear. Once it is warm after a good highway drive it loosens up and feels good to me. I bought some mopar rear end additive, I will drop it in and see what it does before I just flush it out. I am definitely going to drop that fluid out of the transmission and try another amongst those suggested so far.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Camarocasanova,

I would definitely check the gear oil weight again. Everything I read says R/Ts use 75w-90 gear oil for the differential with the friction modifier. I downloaded a 2009 Challenger owner's manual from Dodge and it says the same.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I changed mine several times. I did the tsb to eliminate the whine. It helped, then I installed the hop not kit and it was there again. Just last night I blew up the rear. I guess a kenne bell and drag radials are not the best for ring and pinions

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.