Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed the stock 4300k HID bulb with a 8000k bulb? Is it difficult to get to? Did the 8000k get too hot and damage the headlight assembly? Pics would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I never knew that, but calling it Kelvin is misleading as well. Kelvin makes me think of temperature first.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You're gonna go from white to BLUE in color.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand the color difference. But are those hid bulbs hotter than stock ? And more importantly how do you change them?

·
Supporting Vendors
1,262 Posts
4300K has the best light output and is typically the OEM white color. 8000K has the most blue of any kit we offer and will have slightly less output than any other color.

More blue = less usable output

6000K is the best combination of output and color IMO

Nick C.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I never knew that, but calling it Kelvin is misleading as well. Kelvin makes me think of temperature first.
It's not misleading because it is talking about temperature. Color temperature. It makes sense from a scientific perspective. :)

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I understand the color difference. But are those hid bulbs hotter than stock ? And more importantly how do you change them?
If you replace a 35w bulb with a 35w bulb then there should be no difference in heat output. If you replace a 35w bulb with a 55w bulb then you will get more heat output that could possibly damage the housing.

What makes you want to switch to 8000K? They're not as effective as the OEM bulbs, so the only reason to go 8000K would be for the look...which is quite ricer-ish, IMO.

·
Supporting Vendors
1,262 Posts
We don't carry 55 watt kits because of the excess heat that Yahooligan speaks of. It is true that the 55 watt HID conversions greatly increase the chances of damaging your factory components.

BTW, 6000K isn't ricer at all. It's a very crisp, clean white with a very slight tint of color. I have it on both of my cars.

8000k is borderline rice for some cars lol

Nick C.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
It's not misleading because it is talking about temperature. Color temperature. It makes sense from a scientific perspective. :)
I like wavelength better. Kelvin has been engraved into my brain as celcius - 273.15.

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Peak wavelength in nm = 2,897,768 / Kelvin. The peak wavelength will be the dominant color seen in objects that emit multiple wavelengths of light. The other wavelengths essentially will cancel each other out as a sea of white (ie HID bulbs). Now I'm happy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anybody changed them without pulling the headlight assembly out?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Has anybody changed them without pulling the headlight assembly out?
Yes, they can be replaced without removing them or the front bumper. The black plastic covers over the radiator pull out and then you can access the back of the assemblies to get the bulbs out, but it is tight in there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for your reply. It looks pretty tight but I'm going to try . Going to get some 8000k.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll probably try diode dynamics. D1S bulbs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Put in some 8000k today. Its very tight. Not much skin left on my hands. Left home in the daylight. When it got dark I was almost scared to drive home. The 8000k is so blue its too dark. And gets drowned out by on coming headlights. Very disappointed , got home and had to put the OEM 4300k back in.
Its very difficult to change bulbs. The first one I let go of the metal clip after I got it off and it fell down in the headlight assembly. Almost couldn't get it back out. About 30 minutes of fishing around with a mag tool. I'm just glad I got my OEM bulbs back in. I'm probably done with that mod. One of those things that once you start , your sorry you tried.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Well, sorry it didn't work out for you. Sometimes you just have to find out for yourself instead of going by the opinions of others, which are subjective of course.

Merry Christmas! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts