Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be changing my brake pads this weekend...first time I've done it on the Brembos and have two questions:

1) Removing the pins from the calipers that hold the pads in. I watched a video on line, and the guy doing it said any type of punch would work...but I've heard from other sources that I have to go track down something called a Roller Punch(?), and if I don't use one of those, it will end up mushrooming the pins. So what have people around here used to do it?

2) Pushing the Pistons back in. When I did the brakes on my last car (2006 Charger R/T), you'd have to remove the caliper, and I have a clamp like device to push the pistons back in. Since the Brembos are different, the video I watched show a guy just using two screw drivers to do the inside pistons, then doing the outside pistons. Once again, another source told me I had to buy a $50 ratcheting tool that I put in the caliper and use that to "reset" the pistons. So I figured I'd ask the experts here to see how people have done this?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,038 Posts
I'm going to be changing my brake pads this weekend...first time I've done it on the Brembos and have two questions:

1) Removing the pins from the calipers that hold the pads in. I watched a video on line, and the guy doing it said any type of punch would work...but I've heard from other sources that I have to go track down something called a Roller Punch(?), and if I don't use one of those, it will end up mushrooming the pins. So what have people around here used to do it?

2) Pushing the Pistons back in. When I did the brakes on my last car (2006 Charger R/T), you'd have to remove the caliper, and I have a clamp like device to push the pistons back in. Since the Brembos are different, the video I watched show a guy just using two screw drivers to do the inside pistons, then doing the outside pistons. Once again, another source told me I had to buy a $50 ratcheting tool that I put in the caliper and use that to "reset" the pistons. So I figured I'd ask the experts here to see how people have done this?
What kind of pin is used to hold the pad in place? Roll pins are often used and to drive a roll pin out a roll pin punch is probably what you should use. See link for a set. Or you can probably visit a good hardware store that sells tools and just pick up the size you need.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/3...MI_s-Ql5fR2AIVgmZ-Ch1bDQWzEAQYASABEgLUSPD_BwE

You can buy all kinds of fancy pad spreaders. I've never changed pads on my Challenger but for other cars I just used a large screwdriver, 2 large screwdrivers if the caliber had pistons on both sides, to force both pistons back into the caliber. I'd pry against the old pad and the old rotor. My experience is it doesn't take lots of force but you can't rush this. It takes a bit of time for the fluid to flow from the caliber back into the brake line and from the line into the reservoir.

You do each wheel separately otherwise as you do one this can force the pistons in other calibers to extend again.

Oh, be sure you remove some brake fluid from the reservoir first -- turkey baster is favored just don't get one from the kitchen the missus uses or there will be Hell to pay -- or you can force enough fluid out of the caliber to cause the reservoir to overflow. Brake fluid is not something you want to get all over anything. You know of course it is water soluble and if you do spill some a flush with hot water fill rinse it off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts