Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start looking for new tires since mine need replaced. My 2013 R/T Classic is completely stock on the stock heritage wheels. I currently have 245/45-20 tires on it. From reading the forums, I can go up to 255/45 without any issues at all on my 8" rims. I was just wondering if there was any real benefit? Looking at my tire and a 255 Motivo standing up next to it, they basically do not look much different in width from each other. I assume whatever width is there is pretty minimal and almost non existent? I did notice that the Motivo's at are about $2 cheaper in the 255/45 size. Aside from saving $8, would there be any actual benefits to moving to 255?

I actually would like to go wider eventually after I start getting in to mods more on it. At the same time, I like the look of the classic with the Heritage wheels so I do not want to give those up either.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Perhaps

My car originally came with 245's up front and 255's in back. The 255's are about 1/2 inch wider. It's not a big difference, but it looks "Less Weak." 275's are the minimum width that you can put on the rear of these cars .....and not look weak. Wider always looks better in the back. Save up for 10 to 11 inch rims and get 295 to 315's

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
Assuming the same brand, I doubt that there would be much difference in handling between a 245 and 255 tire. (Note- You are correct in that a 255 tire is the widest you can go on an 8" wide wheel for it to wear and perform properly). However, if you had a 9" wide wheel or larger, a jump to a 275/40/20 tire would make a difference.

If you want better handling with the 245s, you might want to consider a front strut brace to tighten up your suspension.

Challenger strut tower brace by Petty?s Garage - shopHEMI.com

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I put the 255 Motivo's on my wife's 2013 Charger.

For one thing, they're actually cheaper than the 245's for some reason. Once mounted, you can definitely see that there is a size difference.

They are great tires, they ride smoother than her stock tires, it definitely looks better with the wider tire, and if anything, the wider tire protects her wheels better from curbing.

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
I have 255 on all conners,, way better then stock GY , my RT plus with the front brace handles really well , just buy a top line tire . And they do fill the wheel well more
Look on tire rack at the ratings

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I had Goodyear F1's 245's on my R/T and hated how sticky they were, they gripped great but would also throw all kinds of road tar and debris all over the bottom and side of my car! On a black car! So...I had to ditch those things...and got some Motivo's in 255/45 20's...once they were on the car you can tell the difference...especially in the rear and they do help with the tire to fender gaps though I have Stage 1 Springs installed already. Anyway, like Wasp said, just do it. You'll be glad you did. Trust me.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I just bought some Falken Azenis FK450 A/S 255/45/20 for $121 a tire during cyber monday sale. I will probably be installing them this month. I'll take before/after pics to see if there is a noticeable width and wheel gap difference. My stock Firestone's are actually decent tires, but only lasted 25K miles. I hope I like the Falken's at least as much!

Here's the Falken's I went with:
Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I am holding out for 315's for my 2015 on 10.5" rims. I still do not know what to do up front. Do I want to get 9" wheels and run the same 245's or do I want to run 4" wide front runners for a pro street look...... I really want the drag pack look but Hoosier does not make a street tire.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Pulled the trigger and got them. They do fill in the wheel well better and they feel much better compared to the stock Firestone Firehawk tires I had on. Obviously I have only a few days on them so not much time. After being mounted, I can see a different, be it small one. I feels much more planted in the wet compared to my stock Firestone tires. They are also very quiet compared to the tires I did have. To bad it means that I can hear the whine of my differential even easier now though lol

Would have loved to get the Envo's instead but being in Iowa, I felt it necessary to get an all season for now. Some day I will go with a 305. Love the staggered look too.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I just put some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on our 2011 RT Classic. Went with the 255's vs the 245's as they were $50 cheaper per tire at Discount tire.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
10 mm is negligible difference in looks and performance, but going to a much softer compound will offer a good improvement in grip. I went from 275 to 335 summer tire on my modded,stall converter c4 vette and noticed little difference in straight line traction. I went from a 285 summer tire to a 315 drag radial on my heads/cam/stall c6 vette and noticed a good improvement in straight line traction. I've run both the nitto and toyo drag radials, and even though they are not the stickiest dr's, the soft compound was light years better than F1's, RSA etc. I have 4400 mi on my 16 scat and will be getting new summer tires because the 245 look silly and traction is no bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Challenger Srt8
3 Posts
Changing My Tire size for back tires on Stock 20inch wheels

I have my 20inch stock wheels but would like to go with a wider tire in the back whats the widest I can go from 245 that will fit on my stock wheels?

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I have my 20inch stock wheels but would like to go with a wider tire in the back whats the widest I can go from 245 that will fit on my stock wheels?

Assuming you have a 09 SRT based on your handle which come with 9" wheels, you can go as wide as 275s all around.
Complete your profile when you have a moment.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put the 255 Motivo's on my wife's 2013 Charger.

For one thing, they're actually cheaper than the 245's for some reason. Once mounted, you can definitely see that there is a size difference.

They are great tires, they ride smoother than her stock tires, it definitely looks better with the wider tire, and if anything, the wider tire protects her wheels better from curbing.
I am a single woman with little knowledge.. lol... i have a 2014 Dodge Charger and an opportunity to purchase brand new continental tires for 400 obo. Mine originally have 245 with and these are 255 with. If i by then are they gonna rub in my front end? You sound like you might know?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a single woman with little knowledge.. lol... i have a 2014 Dodge Charger and an opportunity to purchase brand new continental tires for 400 obo. Mine originally have 245 with and these are 255 with. If i by then are they gonna rub in my front end? You sound like you might know?
Sorry for the typos

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
If i by then are they gonna rub in my front end?
You are good to go there, no problems. It's sounds like you are getting a good deal.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,616 Posts
Yes, no worries on the 255s. Give you a tad more rim protection ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2013 SRT Core, 6-speed
110 Posts
While a 255/45R20 will fit with no issues, be aware that this is a VERY uncommon tire size. A manager at a local tire place (biggest chain in the area) had ONE in stock (a Michelin, for a breathtaking $450), had no isea why he had it, and noted he had NEVER actually seen a car that called for that size.

A 245/45 or 275/40 is MUCH more common.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts