Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I will be replacing my battery this weekend with a NAPA or O'Reilys battery this weekend (links below)

I had a few questions, if anyone knows the answers!

- I read online that, "When changing a battery in a vehicle equipped with MyGIG radio, the feed fuse for radio must be removed." Does anyone know if this is necessary? I don't mind setting my clock and radio presets again. I just don't want to be locked out of my touch screen unit and it requiring a pin number. If it is necessary, do I just remove fuse prior to removing old battery, then re-install once new battery is in?

- I know the battery requires a vent tube hole, but do all Group 94R batteries come with a vent hole plug for the hole that is not vented? I know sometimes these are little plastic pieces you twist off of terminal cap. The 2 batteries I posted above did not show an image of a plug.

- Recently had a Dodge dealership update my PCM & TCM. Will changing my battery reset those updates?

- Is it recommended to use a battery tender in engine bay while changing battery? What are the benefits of this?

As always, thank you for your help!

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
I installed a Bosch AGM battery in my 2009 SRT. It had a capped vent tube on top on the battery (see photo, below). Also, I didn't use a battery tender, but my Challenger does not have MyGIG.

If the battery you are planning to buy is compatible with your Challenger, you should be fine. Just double check to see if your new battery has a vent tube.

Here are the installation instructions.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,345 Posts
Hello everyone,

I will be replacing my battery this weekend with a NAPA or O'Reilys battery this weekend (links below)

I had a few questions, if anyone knows the answers!

- I read online that, "When changing a battery in a vehicle equipped with MyGIG radio, the feed fuse for radio must be removed." Does anyone know if this is necessary? I don't mind setting my clock and radio presets again. I just don't want to be locked out of my touch screen unit and it requiring a pin number. If it is necessary, do I just remove fuse prior to removing old battery, then re-install once new battery is in?
I have not heard that, but maybe it is a thing. Do it just in case, couldn’t hurt.

- I know the battery requires a vent tube hole, but do all Group 94R batteries come with a vent hole plug for the hole that is not vented? I know sometimes these are little plastic pieces you twist off of terminal cap. The 2 batteries I posted above did not show an image of a plug.
I’ve seen different configurations on new batteries. My most recent one came with two little plastic elbows, and the one it replaced only had the one hole (which had an elbow in it for the vent tube).

So I took the elbow on the side that needed to be plugged and sealed the outside of the elbow with some silicone caulk, thereby making it a plug.

- Recently had a Dodge dealership update my PCM & TCM. Will changing my battery reset those updates?
No, those modules utilize a type of memory which maintains its contents even in the absence of power. The only way to remove the tunes on those modules would be to plug something in and intentionally erase them.

- Is it recommended to use a battery tender in engine bay while changing battery? What are the benefits of this?

As always, thank you for your help!
It maintains power to the various systems on the car which use power when the ignition is off. Things like the clock, security, etc. will continue to do their thing even though you’re removing the battery for a minute to replace it.

I have never used this approach, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a smart way to go.

Reactions: ONE L COOL J

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
661 Posts
Bat HAS to be vented to the outside, one gets plugged and the other hooks to the hose that came with the car......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed a Bosch AGM battery in my 2009 SRT. It had a capped vent tube on top on the battery (see photo, below). Also, I didn't use a battery tender, but my Challenger does not have MyGIG.

If the battery you are planning to buy is compatible with your Challenger, you should be fine. Just double check to see if your new battery has a vent tube.

Here are the installation instructions.

View attachment 1002837
Thanks for the instructions, Cuda! I just printed them out!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,629 Posts
TSB for MyGig, not much more than you posted, but reason why

A Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TSB for MyGig, not much more than you posted, but reason why

A Guy

Thanks for that TSB! I'm really glad I used a Battery Tender plugged into my OBDII while changing the battery!

Went to Interstate store in Renton, WA today and got the MTP-94R battery with 790CCA. Battery with $185 and installation was $20.

Answering some of my questions I posted for the next guy!

I did not remove the feed fuse for my radio, but I did have a 12v Battery Tender plugged into my OBDII. After battery change my clock, radio presets, equalizer settings, were all the same. Nothing was reset.

My interstate battery did not come with any plugs, but it had 2 vent holes. Luckily the tech had an extra from another battery that he used during install. Vent tube went in just fine.

No problems here. Someone else answered this question above.

If you don't use a battery tender, I would remove your feed fuse for radio at least to prevent your MyGIG indash radio from not turning on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts