Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if I want to run track pads and switch them at the track on Brembos it seems like it would be easy. My question is how would you compress the pistons in without removing the caliper or screwing up the rotor?

I could change them at home before going but noisy pads might drive me nuts for long drives to the tracks. If it's not practical I might just have to.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I like to pull the pad out about half way then rotate the pad to put pressure on the pistons. You can feel the pistons compress as you apply a little pressure. Works pretty slick for me.

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
You can use a screwdriver to compress the piston.
Check out this video. Watch at the 3:17 mark.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Never changed the pads on my Hellcat but I have changed the pads on a number of my other cars. I always used the "screwdriver" method. It does not take a lot of force to move the pistons back just a steady force. One should feel the pistons move back.

Easy does it and there is no danger of screwing up the rotor.

Might mention here one wants to watch the brake fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir. If the level is full pushing the pistons of one caliper back might cause the fluid level to overflow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So if I want to run track pads and switch them at the track on Brembos it seems like it would be easy. My question is how would you compress the pistons in without removing the caliper or screwing up the rotor?

I could change them at home before going but noisy pads might drive me nuts for long drives to the tracks. If it's not practical I might just have to.
I used my hands on the last three sets of pad replacements. There wasn’t a whole lot of use on one set of pads, but it wasn’t bad overall. Helps to vent the brake reservoir though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
163 Posts
Newbie home brake pad changer question...for a first brake pad change (and going with ceramic pads) and relatively low miles on the car are the Brembo rotors almost surely not going to need any attention? Just put in the new pads? When might turning the rotors be needed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts