Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I'm changing priorities, but not cars.

I'm 58 years old. The Challenger was the car I drooled over in my teens. I'm thrilled to have one now. But I have been too obsessed with keeping this car perfect and not putting too many miles on it. At my age, that's just plain stupid!

I had a life-changing event this week. I was diagnosed with a melanoma (95% curable at its current stage, deadly if left alone). This has caused me to reevaluate what is important. Cars are temporary. Hell, life is temporary!

So I'm going to drive this car. I am going to put some serious miles on it. I am going to enjoy the hell out of it. And if someone wants it when I'm done, it's going to need a full restoration!

I may just take it though a carwash just to christen it.

And for all you guys my age out there, a melanoma starts as an innocent-looking freckle. If you have one that looks different or one that is turning black, don't go to a regular doctor, see a dermatologist. My GP told me it was just an age spot.

RK

·
Registered
232 Posts
Reactions: ChrisNTN

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wish you a speedy recovery my friend. And yes, drive it and enjoy it!! It's my daily passer. I don't know about the car wash thing tho. I think it's much better you wash it with tender loving care:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Good that you caught this early, I went through a similar event with Prostate Cancer. Really makes you think different about life. Each day is a gift, enjoy it to the max

Here's to a speedy and safe recovery

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Love your attitude.

You will get through this, no doubt in my mind.

Get well soon.

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good that you caught this early, I went through a similar event with Prostate Cancer. Really makes you think different about life. Each day is a gift, enjoy it to the max

Here's to a speedy and safe recovery
Are you the one who posted about prorate cancer previously? If so, in part because of your posts, I'm getting my PSA levels checked annually. Good on ya! Stay well!

Reactions: PSM450

·
Registered
903 Posts
Life is short and the years fly by. Enjoy your cars and life. Be kind to others and life will be good to you. Doctors misdiagnose quite often. Get 2nd 3rd and many opinions. I'm glad you did bro and cheers to you getting healthy very soon.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,907 Posts
I put over 26,000 miles on my first Challenger and I'm at 40,000+ on my current one. I've seen TO MANY garage queens up for sale here with stupid low miles. I have to ask myself, what's the point? I'm glad you caught that melanoma early and you've seen the light. Enjoy your ride!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yep...drive it like you own it my man

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I been in health care(military and civilian) for over 30 years. The one thing I know about life is that the only guarantee you have is the last breath you just took. Life
WILL have trials and tribulations. Weather those with dignity and enjoy the rest as much as possible. I feel sorry for those with low mile challengers sitting under blankets in garages....THAT is a tragedy.

Hope your treatment and recovery goes well...prayers up

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Like the title says, I'm changing priorities, but not cars.

I'm 58 years old. The Challenger was the car I drooled over in my teens. I'm thrilled to have one now. But I have been too obsessed with keeping this car perfect and not putting too many miles on it. At my age, that's just plain stupid!

I had a life-changing event this week. I was diagnosed with a melanoma (95% curable at its current stage, deadly if left alone). This has caused me to reevaluate what is important. Cars are temporary. Hell, life is temporary!

So I'm going to drive this car. I am going to put some serious miles on it. I am going to enjoy the hell out of it. And if someone wants it when I'm done, it's going to need a full restoration!

I may just take it though a carwash just to christen it.

And for all you guys my age out there, a melanoma starts as an innocent-looking freckle. If you have one that looks different or one that is turning black, don't go to a regular doctor, see a dermatologist. My GP told me it was just an age spot.

RK
I know exacty how you feel. I had a heart attack a month ago and from what the doctors told my wife I had a 5% chance of coming out of it. It has been a month since it happened and I am now at home for a week or so waiting on a bed to open in rehab so I can finish my recovery and I feel great almost like nothing happened.
I drove my Challenger every day since I purchased it and I can't wait till I can back behined the wheel to drive it I purchased my car to drive not as a toy and I love every time I ger behind the wheel. I have always lived for today as you do not know what tomorrow will bring I was lucky and dogged a bullet this time.
I am 45 and have always loved Challengers in fact I was shopping for an old Challenger when the news came of this car and as they say the rest is history lol. I should add congrats on beating you problem it seems us Challenger owners are strong sob's lol.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Good news you caught it early. Here's to a full healthy recovery.

Life is meant for livin' and cars are meant to be driven! Go out and get sideways.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Couldn't agree more! The older I get the less nitpicky I am about my cars. So what if it has a scratch or ding on it? At least I'm enjoying it and not saving it for someone else.
I hope you're completely cured for good.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Are you the one who posted about prorate cancer previously? If so, in part because of your posts, I'm getting my PSA levels checked annually. Good on ya! Stay well!

Yes, and good I hope you are clear with a low PSA

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The same holds true with modifying it. Make it your own if you want. I didn't buy this car for anyone else. After I'm dead, the next owner can change it back if they want.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Amen brother. Bought mine last July with 2300 miles on it and stuffed it in the garage. Pulled it out this Feb and said screw it...I'm driving it! 9500 miles on it now which includes a road trip to Pigeon Forge two weeks ago.

Gonna take my daughter on the mother road this summer. Plenty of road trips to take and memories to make.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
If the forecast is for zero precip and there is no left over salt on the road, I drive it. And I drive that six speed like I stole the F-ing thing.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Good luck man.... yea... enjoy life... you can't take the car with you... as someone pointed out on another thread a while back... to have a Challenger and hardly drive it you are simply keeping a car for the next owner and not enjoying it for what it was built for... drive it.

As a 40's aged prostate cancer survivor... enjoy the car....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts