Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any sort of online calculator for this, or any real world numbers?

I'm getting an '11 SE 3.6 V6, and I'd like to change the stock 2.65 gears for something around 3.55, but first I'd like to see what effect that has on the performance numbers.

The so-called SST package gives you a HUGE (LOL) change from 2.65 to a whopping 3.06 ratio, and it seems to help somewhat.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Is there any sort of online calculator for this, or any real world numbers?

I'm getting an '11 SE 3.6 V6, and I'd like to change the stock 2.65 gears for something around 3.55, but first I'd like to see what effect that has on the performance numbers.

The so-called SST package gives you a HUGE (LOL) change from 2.65 to a whopping 3.06 ratio, and it seems to help somewhat.

Actually, I believe the non-SST gears are 2.86 (or 2.87), so the difference is even less than you think.

Have you ran yours at the track yet? The Pentastar Challenger with 3.06 axle runs about 14.7 in the quarter.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't have one yet.

I'm sure some here have changed gears and made before and after dragstrip runs, they should post their numbers.

In the old days (about 1994), with my 1972 318 Satellite, I picked up about a half second by going from 2.76 to 3.23 gears.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Our car has the 2.8-something rear end and Pentastar V6 and it is a total highway cruiser but on the street I can tell it would greatly benefit from a lower gear set. I'd love to try something around 3.3:1. I think it would help immensely on the street without hindering "cruisability" on the highway. Not sure where one can get a set of 3.3 gears, though.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Don't forget you will need tuning support for a gear change.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Don't forget you will need tuning support for a gear change.

Correct you are. I've been assuming DiabloSport will have something for us by the end of summer. Without it we're pretty much screwed.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's all this new high-tech computer BS. We need the Predator for an '11 to be able to change the axle ratio. Or the computer will throw a fit and freak out! A Chrysler dealership can't do it with their computer stuff?

In the old days (90's and 00's), I was the local master of calculating gear ratios, tire diameters, and swapping in the correct speedometer pinion in the transmission to keep speedometers accurate for my cars and my friends' cars. Nothing is that simple anymore!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.