Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a base SE with the stock 17" wheels. I have been shopping the internet and found that there are not many choices for after market wheels in 17 inches.

So my question is, if I go to 18" wheels, does it require recalibrating anything other than getting new tires?

thanks

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm not sure what the stock tire diameter for the SE is, but generally speaking, as long as the diameter of the tires are the same, there would be no need for recalibration. For instance, say you have a 17" rim with a fairly large sidewall and an 18" rim with a lower profile sidewall and by comparison the overall tire size (diameter) is equal, then there would be no need for recalibration because rolling distance around the tire (circumference) is the same. Although, finding a tire that you want that equals the size of your stock tire may not be so easy. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I'm not sure what the stock tire diameter for the SE is, but generally speaking, as long as the diameter of the tires are the same, there would be no need for recalibration. For instance, say you have a 17" rim with a fairly large sidewall and an 18" rim with a lower profile sidewall and by comparison the overall tire size (diameter) is equal, then there would be no need for recalibration because rolling distance around the tire (circumference) is the same. Although, finding a tire that you want that equals the size of your stock tire may not be so easy. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:
Stock tires are 215/65R17.
Assuming the 18" wheels are slightly wider, you would probably want to get 235/55R18 tires so there's no need to recalibrate the speedometer.
:)

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
My guess is no. I went from stock 18s to 20s and did not need it. Any tire store can easily tell you. Even if you don't want to buy any wheels from them go in and act like you are and get a quote and ask them. They will be able to tell you. If you go on tirerack.com there is a decent choice available. I got American Racing Torq thrusts for my SE.

·
Banned
557 Posts
You don't *have* to recalibrate when switching wheels, but it *may* affect your speedo depending on exact tire and wheel sizes.

For a quick & dirty comparison, use this calculator (the closer to identical overall diameter & revolutions per mile, the closer your speedo will be): Tire size calculator

Keep in mind, tire sizes are NOMINAL meaning a 215/65/17 from X manufacturer may vary slightly from Y manufacturer. To get EXACT sizes, you have to visit each manufacturer's website and pull the specs. FYI, the NOMINAL overall diameter of a 215/65/17 tire would be as follows (using the lmathematical way):

215mm / 25.4mm = 8.46" wide
215mm x .65 ratio = 139.75mm x 2 (above & below rim) = 279.5mm / 25.4mm = 11" tall (tires only)
Rim = 17" tall

Totals: 28" overall diameter x 8.46" wide

It would not be uncommon to see EXACT tire sizes range from 27"-29" tall even though their nominal sizes would all report 215/65/17. Obviously anything that isn't an exact 28" would affect the speedo.

I'm sure that is WAY more info than you want. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Stock SE wheels are 17"x7" with a +22 offset and 215/65R17 tires.
Diameter=28"
Circumference=88"

Stock R/T wheels are 18"x8" with a +24 offset and 235/55R18 tires.
Diameter=28.1"
Circumference=88.4"
When the speedometer reads reads 60mph the actual speed will be 60.3mph or 0.5% faster.You can make tire/wheel size adjustments in the ECM using the U7135 Predator or the dealership can flash the ECM for you.
The tire will also be 0.5" closer to the suspension/brake components which is acceptable for most vehicles.

Don't know where you live but I will have a set of stock 2009 R/T 18" wheels with Michilen Pilot 235/55R18 tires for sale for $1200.There are 23,000km on the tires.TPMS sensors are included.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts