Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I have been lurkers on this board for a while and decided to use some of our retirement to buy a Challenger. We live in Las Vegas and visited Chapman Dodge on E Sahara Ave today. I need to share with you this unbelievable story.

This dealership is adding $10,000 in dealer fees to the MSRP including a $5,000 "market adjustment fee".

They require a cash down payment of $10,000 if you want financing. Imagine that! BTW... the other Dodge dealerships in town, some only 10 minutes away, are selling leftover 2010s for $29,000. Does Chapman not think buyers will shop around and drive 10 minutes away?!?! The salesman and general manager repeatedly told us that there are, no have there ever been or will be, any bonuses on the Challenger (even though the Chrysler web site is advertising $3,500 cash bonus if you buy a leftover 2010).

Now the best part and main reason for my post.

After a test drive and chatting with the salesman we make a fair offer for the car. The salesman totally flips out. Starts screaming at us and yelling obscene language. He goes on and on at the top of his voice about how we wasted his time, we're this and that, and every other word out of his mouth was "f--k". I mean screaming it repeatedly. He takes our papers and throws them on the floor and gets right in my face. Egging me on as if he was going to punch me - I mean right in my face. Completely rediculous. I go see the manager about this and he tells me people like my wife and I waste their time and money, and that if I want a Challenger I have to pay $46,000 sticker because he has no room to negotiate on such a hot selling car.

I'm considering filing a complaint with the state licensing agency about this salesman and dealership. I may even send an email to Chrysler. There is no way this type of person should be working for any type of business. If I had my pepper spray on me he would have been blasted right in the face.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Wow ya this is the type of dealership that Chrysler should of eliminated during their bankruptcy. They won't sell many if any at all with those mark ups. I would definitely file a complaint.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Technically you did not get ripped off you just got treated like complete garbage which does not surprise me. When is Dodge going to crack down on dealerships? I assume that since Chrysler monitors our board they are already aware of your story. You might want to contact the local law enforcement agency and report that the salesman threatened you with violence. (The act consists of a threat of harm accompanied by an apparent, present ability to carry out the threat.)

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Holy crap, that is crazy. Call or email Chrysler, and tell everyone you know to stay away.

Good luck finding the right hot rod.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hate to hear anyone getting treated like that. I'm not sure I could have resisted, but you did the right thing by keeping your cool and not popping the punk. Definitely file a complaint with Chrysler, the BBB and the State agency responsible for regulating businesses in Nevada. By the way, there are plenty of dealerships here in Phoenix willing to negotiate with you. In fact, you can go to the Dodge website and locate dealers here in Phoenix or anywhere else. Bring up their websites and you will see plenty of "internet specials" even on Challengers.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I don't know if that Chapman is related to the Chapman in Scottsdale, AZ, but I couldn't get them down below $1,500 over dealer invoice - hot car, fair price, blah blah. I was just looking anyway. Only buy through fleet sales - best price, no haggling. I've bought my last 6-7 cars this way, all at dealer invoice or below ($500 under with my 09 Challenger). They are hungry right now. One fleet guy even brought the car to my house, signed the ppwk at my kitchen table!

Anyways, what a nightmare you went through! Report them to Chrysler and the BBB.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm not surprised. I've bought from Ford dealerships, Chevy dealerships, Honda dealerships and Suzuki dealerships but quickly found out Dodge seems to have cornered the market on scumbag dealerships. Frankly, I'm surprised these stealerships are still trying to play off on the "market adjustment" thing. I thought that was long since gone since so many dealerships are stuck with unmovable 2010's.

If I was in the mood to buy a Challenger I would search the Ebay ended auctions for new Challengers that were listed by dealerships at deep discounts yet still got no bids. I saw one yesterday, a pretty well rigged out R/T with a $28K buy it now and no bids.

As for calling Chrysler, I would. Its one thing to lie your butt off (thinking about my experience with Shawnee Dodge and David Stanley Dodge) but entirely another thing to start cursing and throwing stuff around.

I'd be on the phone with the regional Chrysler rep and continue working my way up the ladder until I felt I was satisfied or at least until I had sufficiently vented.

Oh... I'd also shop around, find a good deal and then drive the new one to their lot and give'm a single finger salute. But that's just me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Disgraceful. If you are not already motivated to share your experience with anyone you should at least share it to prevent it from happening to others.

My experience with Chapman Dodge is limited to their service department, but I share your sentiment regarding their poor (albeit not physically threatening to me) service ethic. It might be interesting to contact some of the local tv stations to see if there is any news interest in the story.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well, that's one dealership that I'll keep on my "don't go" list. I'll be up there in April for the MATS, and will make sure not to visit that place. I've had the same results with the Dodge dealerships here in southern Arizona... Service departments obviously run by a bunch of 6th graders, with your car coming out with more wrong than when it went in. I now drive 150 miles up to Scottsdale to have mine serviced at the dealer I bought it from, and what a difference. You'd think I owned a Rolls or Bently by the way they take care of you. But I guess there are only a few of the good ones that we all need to tell each other about. Airpark Chrysler Dodge, north Scottsdale (Phoenix) is a good one. I've actually bought both of my Challengers there, and when the Cuda's come out, I'll buy that there also. I also agree that you need to buy yours from the fleet guys, not the normal salesmen, as they don't give you all the BS.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've worked various levels of customer service for a decade and each week I get stories that would make people like this seem sane. It's amazing what that consistent level of ******-baggery does to your ability to be agitated. A few weeks ago I had someone just completely go off on me, and I just started laughing. He yelled "Do you think this is f***king funny? I'll call the cops!" I smiled and said "No, I think it's hilarious. And if you want the cops here right after you threatened me with physical violence, go ahead..."

Anyway, I'd write a letter to their owner so at least there's a paper trail. I don't care what business you're in, if you get complaints like that regularly about your employees you probably won't be in business long. I'd certainly hit another dealership and if they give you that whole "this car's too hot to sell that low" crap, just retort "that's why you have a dozen of them on the lot 2 months after the 2010 run shut down...". Anyway, also don't hesitate to contact the internet sales manager of dealerships in other cities. If you can save $2K by driving to Reno and get the luxury of getting to know her on the way back, win-win. Of course, you can also use that quote to negotiate a match or beat locally.

Lastly, whenever you get your car, be sure to "pretty-woman" Chapman's ass. Drive up, find the d-bag, and yell "Look what you're not getting commission on!!" :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
I just had to respond to this post...wow. I'd say unbelievable, but in the search for my Challenger (my first brand new car ever) my eyes were opened to how unethical some salespeople/dealers can be.

First off, I commend you for not losing your cool after the salesman cussed and yelled in front of you and your wife. Second, tell as many people as you know (as I'm sure you will) and hopefully you will stop some from buying there. Third, find a good dealer, these cars are great --If you have had it with Dodge (who could blame you) and wish to buy some other brand, then make sure you let a Dodge rep know why!

You are the customer, (let alone a human being) and should not be treated this way.

See my next post for a story reverse to this one, but I kept my cool.

·
Registered
867 Posts
In spring 2009 as my search for a Challenger was in full swing and 3/4 a year in I went to Maple Ridge Chrysler here in BC. At this point I'd given up on the 2008 SRT500's for Canada as all were asking a pretty penny over sticker price.

Many dealers here in spring 2009 were unsure of delivery times or even if they'd get Challengers and most were still asking way over sticker. Having built this car a hundred times on the Dodge website and knowing exactly what MSRP was I sat down with a salesman.

After brief introductions, I very politely said in this order:
1 - you don't have to make the sales pitch sir, I am buying this car
2 - I know what MSRP is and I will pay MSRP if you can get me this car
3 - I will not pay over sticker so if you can sell at MSRP, do up the paperwork and I'll leave a deposit right now. Otherwise no harm done, no time wasted and we'll be on our way

He checked with his sales manager and agreed. I left happy with an awesome feeling of anticipation and a Hemi Orange 6 speed SRT on the way!!! Phoned a few of my friends and told them and they were floored as they thought I was just all talk since I had been saying I was buying this car for a year!

The next day I got a call from the salesman saying the final price came to $66,000. Over 12 grand more than Canadian MSRP! He said the 6 speeds were gonna be very rare and they had to sell for over sticker.

The next day (they delayed for a day cause their cashier wasn't in) I went and got my deposit back. They tried to get me to sit down with them and see what they could do (wow). I simply left as they had wasted enough of my time and one can only keep cool for so long.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Well, that's one dealership that I'll keep on my "don't go" list. I'll be up there in April for the MATS, and will make sure not to visit that place. I've had the same results with the Dodge dealerships here in southern Arizona... Service departments obviously run by a bunch of 6th graders, with your car coming out with more wrong than when it went in. I now drive 150 miles up to Scottsdale to have mine serviced at the dealer I bought it from, and what a difference. You'd think I owned a Rolls or Bently by the way they take care of you. But I guess there are only a few of the good ones that we all need to tell each other about. Airpark Chrysler Dodge, north Scottsdale (Phoenix) is a good one. I've actually bought both of my Challengers there, and when the Cuda's come out, I'll buy that there also. I also agree that you need to buy yours from the fleet guys, not the normal salesmen, as they don't give you all the BS.
I go to Airpark Dodge for service - no problems and I'm happy there. So far.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Come here to Texas...$7500 off sticker this week at numerous dealers. These cars are very common down here. I can't believe these morons still think a car with a production run close to 80,000 over the last three years is considered rare.

In any case even if you can't get them legally, nail them with the local news media. Contact the Fox affiliate, they love this kind of stuff.

Its a shame they had to use sales volume instead of customer satisfaction as a factor in retaining dealerships.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I go to Airpark Dodge for service - no problems and I'm happy there. So far.

I stopped there on vacation with the rear-end issues. They sent my differential to a dealership along my road trip route and had it replaced in Michigan. Awesome folks, busy as hell...but awesome. They had Challengers for sale with a $1500 rebate, this was in August.

Grants Pass Chrysler had a $15,000 Markup on R/T's as recently as this time last year. I joked with the manager that people were not going to pay $15,000 to avoid going to Medford. (30 miles away to buy the same car for MSRP). But then he said the seniors there would pay for anything...kinda made me grumble "Five Star Dealership my A$$".

Again Chrysler needs to get a tighter grip on the franchises, certain import brands do not allow for market adjustments in their dealerships. (I can recall a certain Mitsu dealership losing their franchise after marking up some EVO X's)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Unfortunately, I have seen threads (though not as extreme as this example) complaining about Chevy dealers on the Camaro5 website. You could and should definitely give them some bad publicity for this. It amazes me how car dealerships can do whatever they want and don't seem to be held accountable by anyone. I work in retail management and if I acted that way towards a customer I might be out of a job.

Bottom line, go ahead and complain but don't expect Chrysler to do much about it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If all channels are exhaust also try the local news paper.

On a side note like the vendor area maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a dealership area. Then people could discuss which dealerships are worth the visit and which to stay away from. It serves as a good positive reinforcement...We reward the good dealerships with spreading the word about them and punish ones such as in the OP by steering potential future customers away from them.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
first you said he was $10k over sticker, then you said at the end he wanted sticker...which is it?

i would expect dealers to get sticker right now...id never pay more than sticker

ive had horrible dealer stories too, maybe not as bad as yours, but still bad...car buying is supposed to be fun, but it never has been. So far my Challenger buying experience has been the best...i ordered mine over the phone and have never been to the dealership(and never will-they are delivering it to my house)

i recommend getting internet pricing on the car..you will get 5 quotes and there will be no bargaining

1 - 20 of 53 Posts