Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Law enforcement has been using Chargers for quite some time. Not quite the interior room as the Crown Vic's, but better in some other ways. However, I'm seeing more and more Challenger police cars. Why? Seems to me performance, mileage, etc are comparable, why give up the interior space?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Law enforcement has been using Chargers for quite some time. Not quite the interior room as the Crown Vic's, but better in some other ways. However, I'm seeing more and more Challenger police cars. Why? Seems to me performance, mileage, etc are comparable, why give up the interior space?
Pursuit cars or unmarked?

I know from experience people tend to want to be stupid around me and there are a few videos of people getting caught by unmarked challengers.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
On Live PD on friday and saturday nights, some of marked police cars are challengers. It was either South Carolina or Florida, not sure.

·
Super Moderator
14,412 Posts
See a few around here in Oregon (Portland area) - they're more unmarked, have tinted windows and one had ghosted graphics.

Ore. State Patrol has been running unmarked Mustangs (pre '15s) unmarked with tinted windows.

As well as local PD...its fun to watch them nab the unsuspecting and the blue & red lights that are concealed light up...many take the bait or go speeding past, thinking they're 'civilian' cars.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
There's definitely a market for the Challenger to be used the way the Mustang and Camaro was used. If you get somebody needing arrest, you just call for backup Charger. :D

https://youtu.be/1Wj4whJEBXs

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
The Richland County Sheriff's Department has had Challengers for several years. I don't know how many they are still using, but they're replacing them with Cameros. :surprise:
I just checked and found they have moved some of the Challengers to the patrol division, so they are still using them.

Personally, I can't imagine patrolling in a Camaro with the limited interior space and the bad visibility out of them.
But they do make bada$$-looking patrol cars!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Not many used the Trans Am but Catoosa County Georgia did, and they were 400/4-speed cars too!

Haahaha!

·
Super Moderator
14,412 Posts

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
And they drilled holes in the back of the scoop to make it functional...

"...dispatch, I'm in hot pursuit..."
Just noticed that, I cut mine all the way out lol.

I also see the speedometer looks different, after 74 the standard speedo only went to 100, that looks a lot higher, so must be a unique certified speedo. Very cool.

The Sheriff said he wanted to order the LeMans Enforcer and dealer said why, I can get you Trans Ams for $5200 so he did.

·
Super Moderator
14,412 Posts
Just noticed that, I cut mine all the way out lol.

I also see the speedometer looks different, after 74 the standard speedo only went to 100, that looks a lot higher, so must be a unique certified speedo. Very cool.

The Sheriff said he wanted to order the LeMans Enforcer and dealer said why, I can get you Trans Ams for $5200 so he did.

Yes - by '75 the speedometers would be up to 85mph, with the "55" highlighted...the beginning of the "long malaise".

For police vehicles, it was common to have certified speedo units - going back to 60s at least. I recall the early 80s Mustangs had special speedo - CA Hwy Patrol was using these, then later went to Camaros.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Richland County South Carolina is the department with the Challengers.
Correct you are. :wink3:

I just love seeing one of those Challenger's in hot pursuit and hearing the sweet sound of the Hemi engine.

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
I think it has to do with changing the profile of the car. People get used to looking for the standard police cruiser shapes. Are surprised but something different. Here on the freeways for years you'd watch for Highway Patrol coming up behind you, or stopped at the top of on ramps to catch you speeding. Now with the laser radar, you come around a corner and you are nabbed. Unless you are in a big group of cars, they can focus right on you. I think a very low percentage of speeding tickets come from pacing you any more. A Guy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Chester Co., SC has at least one unmarked Challenger, an all black '15 R/T assigned to one of the Majors. I remember those LeMans Enforcers. They handled well but were underpowered. Seems like the highway patrol got some but when they realized how slow they were they were shifted to other state agencies.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts