Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - I drive my SP in track mode pretty much all of my city driving - so that is my reference point. The stock exhaust sounds amazing, and I'm very happy with it.

That being said....

My buddy finally decided to buy a nice car (his ex wife wouldn't let him before), and he wanted to join the MOPAR OR NOCAR club, so he got a '19 Charger Scatpack. He comes over this weekend, parks his car next to mine. We start our cars remotely the next morning, me first and then him. His start is louder. I drive in it with him, and hes in ECO mode still (break-in period)... and the exhaust sure as hell seems louder than mine (in a good way) just cruising around town.

Any idea on this one? His car is still completely stock. I have not modified my exhaust at all. The only thing I can think of is the size of the tip resonators on the challenger vs charger (rectangle vs oval, respectively).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, challenger is rectangular.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I've noticed these little differences too, there are bottle-style mufflers on some cars, and I'm not sure which cars get the tubes inserted inside the pipes that amplify the sound. Initially that was only on 5.7 cars back in 2017 I think, but I assume that's spreading around to the other cars now...

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Challenger resonators are round and exactly the same as the Charger. The only difference are the tips.
I meant tips. Perhaps its just the tips? I've been wanting new ones anyways to be honest.

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
I've noticed these little differences too, there are bottle-style mufflers on some cars
Hellcats are like that, Chargers get the small mufflers and are louder and not sure why.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
So - I drive my SP in track mode pretty much all of my city driving - so that is my reference point. The stock exhaust sounds amazing, and I'm very happy with it.

That being said....

My buddy finally decided to buy a nice car (his ex wife wouldn't let him before), and he wanted to join the MOPAR OR NOCAR club, so he got a '19 Charger Scatpack. He comes over this weekend, parks his car next to mine. We start our cars remotely the next morning, me first and then him. His start is louder. I drive in it with him, and hes in ECO mode still (break-in period)... and the exhaust sure as hell seems louder than mine (in a good way) just cruising around town.

Any idea on this one? His car is still completely stock. I have not modified my exhaust at all. The only thing I can think of is the size of the tip resonators on the challenger vs charger (rectangle vs oval, respectively).
It's possible your exhaust valves aren't opening all the way in track mode for some reason, sadly the only way to be sure is a bore scope cause we can only assume they're fully open in track mode from what we read and see on YouTube!?...if it bugs you to have the quieter exhaust start small with an axle back, if that doesn't do it for you its cat back time! Or you can just do nothing but that's a hard pill to swallow when a 5.7 passes by you with headers shaking the ground...good luck in your endeavors

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know when my Challenger is warmed up it is a lot quieter than when it is started the first time of the day.
It will wake up the neighborhood in the morning. Later in the day, it's quiet. I wish it was loud every time I started it.
Thinking mid muffler delete or something someday. I do like my active exhaust sometimes though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's possible your exhaust valves aren't opening all the way in track mode for some reason, sadly the only way to be sure is a bore scope cause we can only assume they're fully open in track mode from what we read and see on YouTube!?...if it bugs you to have the quieter exhaust start small with an axle back, if that doesn't do it for you its cat back time! Or you can just do nothing but that's a hard pill to swallow when a 5.7 passes by you with headers shaking the ground...good luck in your endeavors
That actually did happen to me earlier this year, but the "check engine" light came on and the cause was one of the springs on the butterfly valve had busted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've heard people say the charger is a bit louder than the Challenger. I would love to hear for myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
13 Participants
Stitches1974
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing