Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a guy today with a Charger and while talking I couldn't help but notice how good the lower plastic trim piece on the rear bumper of the Charger looked. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried putting one on a Challeneger - I have no idea if it will fit. The exhaust tips on the Charger also looked kind like ours but spun around 180 degrees.

I've attached a rear view picture of each car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
The Chargers exhaust tips are part of that lower fascia, they are not attached to the exhaust.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Really? It doesn't look like it to me, It just looks like there is a cutout in the lower trim piece like on our cars - and the tips just stick through it...at least that's how it look in the picture I attached in my first post.

...And after looking at the picture some more I'm thinking that the charger trim definitely won't fit our cars.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
That piece you describe is called the "diffuser", and it is mere decoration intended to look like some kind of air extractor. Yes, the diffuser is built into the rear bumper, and yes, the exhaust tips in newer cars are not tips anymore but bright trim pieces integrated into the bumper itself for easier assembly and fool-proof, perfect alignment.

Unlike the Dodge Charger, my 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT came with real exhaust tips, but the diffuser was non-functional --i.e., didn't have an opening.

One of the few things I liked of my 2012 300 SRT better than my Challenger was the greater solidity of the body panels, the much higher grade of the materials, the tighter fit and finish, and better assembly quality inside and out.

On the other hand, I do not miss that clunky 5-speed automatic (and the oddly spaced 2nd gear), the dull drone of the cylinder deactivation, and all of those over-zealous safety nannies (blind-spot monitor, collision warning, adaptive cruise control, cross-path detection sensors, etc.), which used to freak out every time I drove the car the way it was intended.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would call it a trim piece...since it is not a functional piece like you said, but anyway that's not important. I have zero concern about functionality of a diffuser - I would not ever be going fast enough for that to matter to me.

I was only curious if that trim piece could be adapted to a challenger.

And again I do not see how the tip is integrated into the trim piece...it looks exactly like ours where it is just sticking through it. It is not captured all around it or anything and there is a large gap around the tip ... just like ours.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Well, I stand corrected. I just checked a bunch of photos and you are correct: Charger still uses REAL exhaust tips instead integrated bumper trim pieces. I must have been thinking of pretty much every other new model I see on the road.

The non-SRT models have the trapezoid shape you describe; the Charger SRT has round tips like my 300 did.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem ! Either way, after looking at more pictures - I'm thinking it won't fit.

I don't want some big diffuser or anything on the back of my car, but a different trim piece with a little more subtle styling would be nice in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I must add, Chrysler appears to be doing a fine job aligning those Charger exhaust tips well --unlike those on our cars.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol - I was thinking the same thing. I really need to get under my car and adjust one of mine.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Charger SRTs have their own exhaust tips. The R/Ts it is built into the bumper - if you install Corsa or Mopar Exhaust on the 5.7L Charger you have to cut that portion out of the Bumper.

If you look in the space for the exhaust you will see just a round pipe that is the exhaust. It is not attached to anything.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I tried lining up the stock tips but found it difficult to get it perfect; it was much easier with the quad tips I put on.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Charger SRTs have their own exhaust tips. The R/Ts it is built into the bumper - if you install Corsa or Mopar Exhaust on the 5.7L Charger you have to cut that portion out of the Bumper.

If you look in the space for the exhaust you will see just a round pipe that is the exhaust. It is not attached to anything.
Well, there you have. Much better than me looking at some Google images :blah:

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good deal.

And more the reason for me to upgrade to the quad style tips. You sir are an enabler.

Reactions: aldo90731
1 - 13 of 13 Posts