Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will I really notice a difference between a full blow air intake kit and a charger oem tube? I could care less about the sound. I just want the best bang for my money in terms of power gains. I plan on getting a catch can, catback, as well as tune and t-stat soon. Eventually heads, mids, and cam/heads.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
I talked to an SRT Engineer at Springfest 9 about the Challenger intake with the baffle, and if swapping to the Charger tube is okay. He stated the baffle is ONLY for sound reduction. Thy needed to reduce the engine compartment noise a few decibels, and the baffle was the best way. Replacing it with the Charger intake tube will only make it a bit louder under the hood, performance will be the same. This also means you can now attach your Billet Tech catch can to the front of the engine!

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
The intakes on the 2011+ Hemis are extremely efficient, you won't get much of a gain with a cold air intake UNLESS you plan on getting a custom tune. The Legmaker Frankentake IV has shown to make 11rwhp without a tune which is pretty good.

Also don't forget about that sweet sound that CAIs make! Very deep, throaty and adds more growl in the engine bay. Also if you like looks you can't beat the look of a good CAI.

That being said, the stock airbox should be fine, and a CAI is not a big mod whatsoever, but there is a difference.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do plan on getting a tune eventually, but that won't be for a few years once my extended warranty is up. I think I'll probably go with the charger tube, until I see the need to get a full intake system.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I do plan on getting a tune eventually, but that won't be for a few years once my extended warranty is up. I think I'll probably go with the charger tube, until I see the need to get a full intake system.

Thanks!
That's a great plan! Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
988 Posts
I made one for my Cervini setup as theirs sucked but not good enough.

So, I have a 2010 mod'd one and 2011 Charge tube for sale.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I made one for my Cervini setup as theirs sucked but not good enough.

So, I have a 2010 mod'd one and 2011 Charge tube for sale.

How much for the 2011 charger tube??

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Whatever CAI you do use, make sure it has the long IAT sensor. This awesome thread explains it all:

"2011+ 300, Charger, Challenger, Jeep Air Intake Design/Study
The air intake was redesigned in 2011 models. It's a plastic composite design, uses a longer IAT sensor which is also relocated away from the radiator fans and lower engine block, has a larger air filter than the old, seals to the lower fender well hole, has a larger fender well hole, and the manifold has a reducer built in to the design behind the throttle body.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/mystery-grey-iat-sensor-connector-solved-63343/

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whatever CAI you do use, make sure it has the long IAT sensor. This awesome thread explains it all:

"2011+ 300, Charger, Challenger, Jeep Air Intake Design/Study
The air intake was redesigned in 2011 models. It's a plastic composite design, uses a longer IAT sensor which is also relocated away from the radiator fans and lower engine block, has a larger air filter than the old, seals to the lower fender well hole, has a larger fender well hole, and the manifold has a reducer built in to the design behind the throttle body.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/mystery-grey-iat-sensor-connector-solved-63343/
I keep reading that the charger tube comes with a IAT sensor. Is that the correct one to use?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I keep reading that the charger tube comes with a IAT sensor. Is that the correct one to use?
Either the long or short will work as long as the connector is the same.

There isn't a hill a beans different in the IAT's using the long or short probe when on the road. The only difference I found was the recovery time from heat soak.

I data logged both probes on 2 consecutive days at about the same ambient temp and the same route.

Short IAT

Long IAT

The bottom line is... you just get a air intake with no silencer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts