Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's biased asking in the Challenger forums, but I gonna do the same on the Charger side. I used to have an 07 R/T R&T by the way.
I am 50, 2 kids in college and an 11 year old. I think I may give my 07 G35x to my son to take to school, and get something interesting for me. Not quite mid life crisis, but close.
I am looking used for mid $20Ks for either a 2011+ Charger R/T or Challenger R/T in black with leather and auto.
I really like the look of both, and the Charger wins to me for the interior, but the Challenger's retro look is so cool. But I am 50 and don't want to look like some old dude trying to recapture his youth via muscle car. Charger seems more grown up, but most of the time I am alone or with my youngest, a full size 4 door seems overkill.

Honestly I am very happy with my Infiniti and could just as easily get an 09-10 G37, but when I park it and walk away, then turn to look back, I don't get that feeling I did with my old Charger R/T. The "yeah, it's mine" feeling.

See why I am having a hard time? Any opinions? Anybody felt the same way and what swayed you?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Nothing out their has the classic good looks of the Challenger. Most cars have gone to a cab forward design for optimal packaging. The Challenger retains the magic long hood short deck formula.

You ask, why not a Charger? I would respond, why not a Chrysler 300. All 3 cars are similar under the skin. Give me the sexy coupe any day. The only compelling reason for a Charger is for the rear doors. There is a reason you see a Challenger in most movies, TV shows and in advertising.

Challenger all the way. There is nothing out their like it.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
I know it's biased asking in the Challenger forums, but I gonna do the same on the Charger side. I used to have an 07 R/T R&T by the way.

I am 50, 2 kids in college and an 11 year old. I think I may give my 07 G35x to my son to take to school, and get something interesting for me. Not quite mid life crisis, but close.

I am looking used for mid $20Ks for either a 2011+ Charger R/T or Challenger R/T in black with leather and auto.

I really like the look of both, and the Charger wins to me for the interior, but the Challenger's retro look is so cool. But I am 50 and don't want to look like some old dude trying to recapture his youth via muscle car. Charger seems more grown up, but most of the time I am alone or with my youngest, a full size 4 door seems overkill.

Honestly I am very happy with my Infiniti and could just as easily get an 09-10 G37, but when I park it and walk away, then turn to look back, I don't get that feeling I did with my old Charger R/T. The "yeah, it's mine" feeling.

See why I am having a hard time? Any opinions? Anybody felt the same way and what swayed you?

Your not going to look like an old dude trying to look young. Your going to look like an "older" guy reaching back to his muscle car era. For the simple fact you only have one young child, two doors is all you need. Sounds like if you save a little more cash, you can get a new RT with the charger interior. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
They're both awesome cars, mechanically they're pretty much the same car. The Charger is a lot smoother, more luxurious interior. Pick which ever suits your life better, 2 doors, or 4 doors.

·
Premium Member
10,682 Posts
Challenger= 2 doors, looks way cool.
Charger= 4 doors and why did they bother......

Reactions: raceheart77

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i got a 13 charger rt and I'm impressed with the quality of the car over all nice smooth ride good power and comfort, i just return from myrtle beach to michigan the car was loaded with staff me my wife and 2 kids and i got 26.5 mpg is that impressive or what?
if i was to chose between the two it would be the charger just because the charger got the awesome interior,however it the deal was to chose 2015 challenger and 2014 charger ill get the challenger, the update is outstanding in the challenger, i have a chance to sit in one and i love it.
by the way ill be getting challenger soon, the rt scatpack 6.4, or the hellcat.....

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
some pictures

i love those cars soon to add one more Chryslers masterpiece in my garage,:D
good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If you want manual, then the only choice is Challenger.
If you don't care, then it's really just 2 vs 4 doors and style preference--you'll have several to choose from since they've significantly restyled the charger a few times plus the challenger more-true-to-retro looks.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I too would look at a 300 (as an alternative to the Charger) , it's one more choice & more "grown up" than the other two. If you can get away with 2 doors then the choice is obvious but if you can't, you know your not limited.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,336 Posts
Pretty easy question of which car I would choose. I'm 61, just the wife and myself. My son is 25. I went with the Challenger almost 4 years ago.

I don't give a hoot about what anyone thinks of this old fart driving a Challenger. It's my ride, and my smiles owning it.

Now if today was 20 years ago, I would buy a Charger Super Bee. Four doors if I'm hauling a family, and I would still smile. and dream about when the kid grows up, that it would be Challenger time.

Gotta have muscle, but it has to fit the need at the time, at least for me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
They are all great cars but this is how they break down IMO:

300: All the bells and whistles.
A car that even an 80 year old can get in and out of.
A 300 mile trip that is comfortable for all.

Charger: Most bang for your buck.
A car that even an 80 year old can get in and out of.
The same car that the State Trooper just pulled you over in.

Challenger: The car that will turn heads and get you comments.
You will turn around at least twice to look at it while you are headed into the store.
You will smile when you come back out of the store because your old friend is still parked there.
You won't care if anybody can get in the back seat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I looked at both cars before deciding on the Challenger. The charger was or seemed to be a couple of inches smaller in width than the challenger. also the challenger had more head room in the backseat than the charger. The only disadvantage for the challenger was it was a little more difficult for the backseat passengers to get in and out but once they were in the back seat there seemed to be more room for them than in the charger. I went with the challenger, I'm 50 and both my kids have their own cars (mustangs) so 90% of the time it's just me and the wife.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was torn between the two. I was leaning towards the Charger because the available AWD. I also thought I may look silly as well in the Challenger.

However, the more I looked at both cars, I realized the Charger was the safer choice and not very exciting looking. I have come to despise the indent in the door panels. Looks so prefab to me.

The Challenger gets better looking the more I look at them until I just had to have one. Why go safe when you can have an icon? When else will you do it?

So I went ahead and ordered the Challenger. I think I made the wise choice.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have not been in a Charger but I can say that the blind spots are pretty bad in the Challenger and the folks saying that the backseat is usable for kids are only trying to justify their buy. Ok - Granted I'm 6ft but I find it very claustrophobic back there. Plus you can't really put anything on the backseat (like you would be able with a 4doors).

Don't get me wrong I love my Challenger to death but the Charger is also a very good looking car and much more useful too. Also, FYI, if you ever decide to go with the V6 Charger look at 2012+ as the 2011 don't have the 8speed transmission.

Good luck with your decision and also 50 is not old .. you can still get a Challenger in 10yrs when your last one is in College ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Charger looks quite good, especially the 2011-2014 models, and they really aren't that much bigger externally than challengers, in fact a challenger is just a be wit longer. But when I drove them they felt so different. I don't know why but i really didn't like how the charger drove, and i really wanted to like it due to the incredible practicality.
Internally the chargers has tons of room too. But overall looks and the way it drove won out for me, and you can actually stuff people in the back if you really need to.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
There should never made a four door charger they should have called that car something else a charger is a two door period We did luck out when they made a challenger they did not make that a four door if they would have there be know challenger talk

1 - 20 of 81 Posts