Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my mind set on a very specific car or cars which is the more reasonable option I want a 392 scat pack shaker but no dealer by me has one but I’d consider a standard scat pack or an r/t charger should I try to get my hands on a shaker and what are the perks of the challenger scatpack over the charger scatpack

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,625 Posts
Chargers are more practical if you plan on frequently having rear seat passengers. The charger only comes in an automatic whereas the challenger can be purchased with a manual. Although some do not think of a manual as a perk just like some think 4 doors is too many doors. You can get a wide body challenger but you can't get a wide body charger...at least not yet.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
822 Posts
... what are the perks of the challenger scatpack over the charger scatpack
Simple, none (other than if you want a manual). I have had both a Charger, and now a Scat Pack Shaker 392. If it wasn't for the Shaker, I would have gone with a Daytona, or a Scat Pack Charger.
If you want to know the perks of a Challenger, the list is long, but not earth shattering, major items are seat related.
Off the top of my head, in random order including optional items
Trunk Pull Down Handle
Power Recline
Full power passenger seat with recline
heated rear seats
ability to put heated/cooled cupholders (available in Chargers/300 in 2014 with heated rear seat package)

different console/cupholder with Dodge Brothers in cubby not hidden under arm rest
If you have Adaptive Cruise Control, it will bring the Charger to a full stop, not the Challenger (WTF is up with that?)
Higher top speed
much more usable back seat, both in ease of access, and actual space
power adjustable pedals
and since there is more things that are power adjustable, memory saving of seats/pedals/column/radio
different grabhandles, pull down vs straps

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,625 Posts
Wish my challenger had a trunk pull down handle.

Did you mean "If you want to know the perks of a Charger" ?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Wish my challenger had a trunk pull down handle...
I know, I might actually buy one of those little loop straps, just because. Typically I pull down on the middle of the taillight between the top and bottom red part.

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
Yeah those Charger perks are nice, for long road trips that power passenger seat alone makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yeah those Charger perks are nice, for long road trips that power passenger seat alone makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I fully understand (doesn't mean I like...) why the passenger seat is manual front to back and manual recline, so you can flip the lever tilt and slide the seat in one motion to get in the back. But man, why isn't the driver seat full power, and why no memory seat/column/pedal options. maybe the power pedals require some different bracket, and that bracket won't work with the clutch pedal assembly, so they don't want to make 2 different firewall assemblies or something.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I will say one major down side to the challenger is...every non-car person will call it a charger.
Yeah, I get that every now and then. Then you get the kids/guys that say "When did you get a Mustang?"
The best was when a girl that works for me saw it and said "What is that monster?"

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
I have an SRT Challenger now and if I could go back I would get the Charger instead. I like the way the Charger looks, feels, and handles. While I don't really need four doors, I don't see it as a con like some people do. While I enjoy driving a manual Challenger it can really be a pain too for daily driving. Here in Florida I feel like I see a lot Challengers vs Chargers.

- Alexis

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, I get that every now and then. Then you get the kids/guys that say "When did you get a Mustang?"
The best was when a girl that works for me saw it and said "What is that monster?"
Here in the north of the UK that's what I get nearly every time - I do point out the badges . . .
The other few times its "the Dukes of Hazzard car" . . . err not, it's not . . . although I did see one painted up as the General when I came out of a Harbor Freight in Houston early this . . . ironically, I had a Mustang as a rental that time ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've had both - just recently sold my 2017 Charger R/T to get a 2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker. Surprised no one has mentioned it so far but the primary benefit to the Challenger IMHO to me is the old school muscle car looks. Not that the Charger is bad looking. I also no longer feel like I'm driving a family sedan even though I've still got my 2 kids in the back of the Challenger. .

For some reason the Challenger trunk seems bigger to me than the Charger's but I know specs wise they're pretty much even. For a 2 door car the Challenger's passenger & cargo volume is really fantastic.

I agree that the seat features could definitely be better on the Challenger. I didn't realize the ACC worked differently on the Challenger vs. Charger - that is dumb.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've got both. The Charger is a great road car. If you have passengers and take long trips, the Charger is the way to go. I've got a 3.6 Charger and I take up down between San Diego and SF regularly. Gets 30+ mpg and is smooth as silk. On the other hand...my SPWB 392 is constant entertainment! I love taking this out for weekend rides and just listening to it purr and watch heads turn. So, base your choice on what the car is going to be used for. Charger is the best bacon hauler that still gives the thrill of muscle (despite 4 doors). The Challenger is the thrill of muscle.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Off the top of my head, in random order including optional items
Trunk Pull Down Handle
Power Recline
Full power passenger seat with recline
heated rear seats
ability to put heated/cooled cupholders (available in Chargers/300 in 2014 with heated rear seat package)

different console/cupholder with Dodge Brothers in cubby not hidden under arm rest
If you have Adaptive Cruise Control, it will bring the Charger to a full stop, not the Challenger (WTF is up with that?)
Higher top speed
much more usable back seat, both in ease of access, and actual space
power adjustable pedals
and since there is more things that are power adjustable, memory saving of seats/pedals/column/radio
different grabhandles, pull down vs straps
Side view mirrors on the Charger have puddle lights that shine through an opening in the glass onto the ground, and onto the door handle vs Challenger light is under the door lighting ground only.
I just added the last one about the mirrors.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is not an entirely fair comparison, and a bit dated and subjective. About 9 years ago I rented a Charger for a 2 day interstate drive. I can't recall, but I'm guessing it was probably a V6. The power was adequate, but not very memorable. The car drove like and felt like a boat with not very responsive handling or shocks, to my memory. It just felt big and lumbering. I was unimpressed. And the looks were blah... nothing iconic or historically connecting about it to the original Chargers. A family sedan, or police cruiser. Just a practical car that you can stuff some horsepower in if needed.

Contrast that with the Challenger! Gorgeous beasts, even the V6 models. Dodge really hit a home run in the nostalgia department. I've driven several and bought a manual SRT8 2012 model, and it's a thrill to drive and looks possibly like the sexiest factory car around. Very distinguishable (rather than the what-do-ya-call-it aerodynamic bubble or rain drop that every car looks like). Drives and handles very well.

In any package, I'd go for the Challenger unless you have family or grocery getter needs.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Driving 2 comparably equipped Charger/Challengers other than the engine (5.7 Charger, 392 Challenger)
I can honestly say there really isn't any difference in the driving other than the little actual changes you can see/feel like the seat/driving position controls.
If you require/desire
4 Doors, or more than 3 people, better seating position controls, higher top speed - Charger
2 Doors, SHAKER, MANUAL!!! - Challenger
Looks wise, other than the name matching the style/nostalgia, to me, Charger is a nicer looking car now, but obviously Challenger matches the "feeling" of the muscle car better.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have my mind set on a very specific car or cars which is the more reasonable option I want a 392 scat pack shaker but no dealer by me has one but I’d consider a standard scat pack or an r/t charger should I try to get my hands on a shaker and what are the perks of the challenger scatpack over the charger scatpack
It's subjective and in no way measurable......but.......

The easiest "perk" to point to:

Challenger: Fantastic, good looking, true to it's Name Retro Roots.

Charger: 4 doors and in no way at all does it manage to capture the Retro theme of the original Great looking 2 door car that it shares a name plate with.

Even if for what-ever reason I needed 4 doors........the Charger is no go for me. Better looking and easier to live with cars out there among the great many available 4 door models today.

·
Registered
822 Posts

Even if for what-ever reason I needed 4 doors........the Charger is no go for me. Better looking and easier to live with cars out there among the great many available 4 door models today.
The only other 4 doors I would ever consider, as a primary car, are the 300, Chevrolet SS, CTS-V. As a toy, maybe a Jag. I have zero interest of driving a FWD again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts