Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've raced a few Charges up the roads here and noticed every time I'm the winner. We have the same (or close to similar) engines. Even checking out the "Charger Pursuit" police model, their 0-60 and quarter mile times are slower than the Challengers I'm noticing.

What is the difference between the two that make us the faster breed? Weight? Gearing?

·
Super Moderator
15,797 Posts
Weight - the Charger is nearly 100# heavier...the Challenger has 4" removed from the wheelbase, so that reduces the weight some.

The 5.7 engine is tuned for more hp and torque over the Charger installation from the factory.

I suspect the gearing for automatics on both models are same from '09 going forward using the 3.06 / W5A580 (NAG1) combo.

Earlier years of Chargers had different final drive gearing, IIRC.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi all,

I've raced a few Charges up the roads here and noticed every time I'm the winner. We have the same (or close to similar) engines. Even checking out the "Charger Pursuit" police model, their 0-60 and quarter mile times are slower than the Challengers I'm noticing.

What is the difference between the two that make us the faster breed? Weight? Gearing?
My guess is you got 3.92 gears, if so, that's the reason you will win in the 1/4 mile.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
You do have a 91 CAI tune, t-stat and CAI. That will give you a ~20 hp whp advantage over a stock 5.7. Also, the 2010 Charger R/T was rated at 8 hp less than the Challenger R/T manual.

I'm surprised the curb weight is the same for both cars - given the Charger is 4 doors and an auto, and the R/T is 2 doors and a manual. Does somebody at Brampton stick bags of lead shot in the Challenger's two doors for 'road hugging weight'? LOL

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is you got 3.92 gears, if so, that's the reason you will win in the 1/4 mile.
Yes, I do. Love them too. Do the Chargers not have this as an option?

You do have a 91 CAI tune, t-stat and CAI. That will give you a ~20 hp whp advantage over a stock 5.7. Also, the 2010 Charger R/T was rated at 8 hp less than the Challenger R/T manual.
Didn't have the tstat until this past weekend (+/-) but I feel the performance difference -- haven't tested my runs since installing it yet.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yes, I do. Love them too. Do the Chargers not have this as an option?

Didn't have the tstat until this past weekend (+/-) but I feel the performance difference -- haven't tested my runs since installing it yet.
The 3.92 gears is what sold me on my 10 R/T. Gears like that make things happen. My guess is, Chargers don't have the 3.92 option.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Keep in mind too, if they are 06-08 Chargers they have less power, 340-350 for the R/Ts, RT R&T package, and daytona. 09 Charter R/Ts with the R&T package or the daytona package got the same 372 as the Challenger R/T auto, also only the Daytonas had the 3.06 gears, others got the 2.65 rear end. for 10 on the super track pack Chargers got the 372 HP and 3.06 gears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts