Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the January 2014 issue of Car & Driver. In it, they compared a 2014 Charger SRT (470 hp, 9.3 lbs/hp to a Chevrolet SS (415 hp, 9.5 lbs/hp).

The SRT beat the Chevy in all but one performance category:

0-60 mph- SRT=4.2 sec., SS= 4.5 sec.
5-60 mph Rolling Start- SRT=4.7 sec., SS= 5.1 sec.
1/4 mile- SRT= 12.6 [email protected] mph, SS= 12.9 sec. @111 mph
0-70 mph- SRT= 152 ft., SS= 153 ft.
Top speed- SRT= 178 mph, SS= 160 mph

Skidpad- SRT= .90g, SS+ .95g

Overall, the mag had some nice things to say about the SRT like, "Hemi V-8- a classic MOPAR 'tude, user friendly controls...a retro powerhouse proudly short on grace."

However, the mag thought that the SS was the superior car and said that "It is the gifted offspring of a BMW M5 and Camaro SS...has excellent handling balance, refined interior, great looks, an LS3 V-8...easier to launch at the test track...more pleasant to cruise in...a rare gem whose name underscores its well-deserved place in Chevy's heritage."
Why are MOPARs always the underdog with these mags?

·
Registered
627 Posts
They are haters bro I use to be a big chevy fan not any more had a ram srt10 fell in love got my challenger now got my wife a nitro and a ram 1500 for work I think chevy went down hill I know to many ppl with to many problems with the Chevys

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Ok....a gifted off spring from a bimmer M5 and a Camaro SS...Wow, that's a literary mouthful. It seems everybody is on the GM bandwagon as of late? And C&D's opinion's are just like everybody else's.

I did like the SRT commercial I saw while watching the Rolex 24 last night. Dodge is bringing out products that rival elder SRT's and the newer/future SRT's are heading into the "higher end". I can't wait to see what all the rags say after March.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Comes down to one thing...advertising dollars.

Chevy also does a much better job dominating motorsports. Both Ford and Mopar need to step up.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
I'm a GM fan from way back but the SS looks like every other jelly bean car out there. Same when the new GTO came out, I just couldn't buy one because of the corporate standard styling.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm a GM fan from way back but the SS looks like every other jelly bean car out there. Same when the new GTO came out, I just couldn't buy one because of the corporate standard styling.
I completely agree. The SS looks very plain and boring.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It looks like a Pontiac g8 to me with a chevy front and rear fascia designed for it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

If I'm not mistaken both the G8 and SS are based off of the same Holden platform so theyre both technically the same car.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Those magazine journalists...

....are paid "under the table" by GM, BMW and Ford to "Butt Snorkel." They have their heads jammed so far up GM and BMW's wazoo, that they need a snorkel to breathe. The SS is a quality car. But the Charger is so much better looking...and beats it in performance. What a crock of s$%^.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,118 Posts
This is why I stopped subscribing to those rags years ago. They're just so blatantly biased it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I got stuck at "refined interior".. was it refined at a oil refinery? I've owned several Camaros over the years and still have a 67SS but this 2010 - up Camaro leaves me cold and I'm just not a fan... refined interior? did they look at them? guess I responded to the wrong thread.. sorry,

·
Registered
404 Posts
I agree the Camaro interior looks like it was made by Hotwheels but we're talking about the new Chevy SS sport sedan. Not the Camaro.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I'd take a Charger instead, but sure sounds good straight from the factory:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You guys just need to accept reality. GM has done a much better spending our billions than Chrysler has.

Bag on the Camaro all you want but they have done a way better job in a way shorter amount of time than Chrysler. They have anything from a V-6 all the way up to a Camaro that will lap the most demanding track in the world faster than all but one car under $100k while killing many of the cars that are over $100k. All we get from Ralph is "just wait".

The ATS is supposed to be a better drivers car than the vaunted 3 series which has held the crown for years. The upcoming CTS is supposed to be even better.

All new mid-size trucks will be on sale later this year. Chrysler has nothing.

The Cruze dominates the Dart and is being revamped for another push.

The Impala went from also ran to most improved.

The reality is if we are talking about cars Chrysler is successful with one car platform that was given to them from Mercedes. Pretty pathetic to be honest with you after the amount of billions they were given. So pathetic in fact that they realize they don't have the expertise in-house to remain relevant so they let Fiat bail/buy them out or they know they would be in the same position 10 years from now.

Like it or not GM is at least one generation ahead of Chrysler throughout it's car lineup with the obvious exception of styling which is purely subjective.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You guys just need to accept reality. GM has done a much better spending our billions than Chrysler has.

Bag on the Camaro all you want but they have done a way better job in a way shorter amount of time than Chrysler. They have anything from a V-6 all the way up to a Camaro that will lap the most demanding track in the world faster than all but one car under $100k while killing many of the cars that are over $100k. All we get from Ralph is "just wait".

The ATS is supposed to be a better drivers car than the vaunted 3 series which has held the crown for years. The upcoming CTS is supposed to be even better.

All new mid-size trucks will be on sale later this year. Chrysler has nothing.

The Cruze dominates the Dart and is being revamped for another push.

The Impala went from also ran to most improved.

The reality is if we are talking about cars Chrysler is successful with one car platform that was given to them from Mercedes. Pretty pathetic to be honest with you after the amount of billions they were given. So pathetic in fact that they realize they don't have the expertise in-house to remain relevant so they let Fiat bail/buy them out or they know they would be in the same position 10 years from now.

Like it or not GM is at least one generation ahead of Chrysler throughout it's car lineup with the obvious exception of styling which is purely subjective.
Why do you have a challenger if GM is so high in your book? Sorry must of missed that part.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
My challenger brothers, we are like the right winged Americans in this country. We go against the grain. We are the rebels. We are like the United States Marines of muscle cars, if I may with the most respect, The Few, The Proud. We are like the small micro brewery- not the Budweiser or Marlboro of cars. We are special, small, limited-there for limited in the attention we are so deserving of. Don't expect to see us on CNN, or the covers of the most popular auto mags. We know in our own hearts who we are, how important we are, how intimidating we are. We are MOPAR fanatics. We and our Hot Rods are the BEST.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Why do you have a challenger if GM is so high in your book? Sorry must of missed that part.
I love old Mopar muscle cars and I think Chrysler nailed the looks of the Challenger. The Hemi is just as good as the LS family of engines from GM. The rest of the stuff isn't that important to me in a fun weekend car like I use my Challenger.

I guess I will never understand why so many people who love the Challenger (I agree) somehow think that since the Challenger is awesome Chryslers lineup is just as good and if you don't think so it's because you are biased or have paid someone off, give me a break Chrysler is way behind the competition in most categories, and not just to GM.

I remember when all the GM fans used to whine and cry that the mags are so biased that they ended their subscriptions because they are paid off by company A, B, or C. Suddenly now that GM makes some quality cars these same rags hold water because, here it comes, they rank them better.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Yes, Chrysler is a little stale and has been reluctant or too slow to adopt new technologies (unlike Ford, for example, very progressive). They made the most of that one MBZ platform and use it for very traditional and even retro designs. I guess that why I'm on my second consecutive Mopar and recognize myself in their (full-size) products. :icon_wink: Of the Big 3 that's the only company I trust to stick to RWD and V8 the longest.

I'm sure it's frustrating if one's main focus is absolute performance or gadgetry, but then, there's always other makes and... I like speed a little too much myself, but know when enough is enough. Never been the one to chase after the Joneses.

The SS may be more refined; I dunno. It just came out while the Charger is a 2 year-old refresh job, so it better be. Where's its style and balls, though? That's what got me into a Dodge the two last times and will keep me there, it looks like! :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts