Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this thread may be premature for most mods but the motors. There are many engine performance mods for the 5.7 and 6.1L engines which should be a no brainer for the Challenger given they use the same motors as the Chargers. So, I see the Chargers actually paving the way in identifying engine performance mods that will allow the Chargers to achieve greater horsepower gains. These include heads, cams, superchargers, turbochargers, rear end upgrades, etc.
Later

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Well this thread may be premature for most mods but the motors. There are many engine performance mods for the 5.7 and 6.1L engines which should be a no brainer for the Challenger given they use the same motors as the Chargers. So, I see the Chargers actually paving the way in identifying engine performance mods that will allow the Chargers to achieve greater horsepower gains. These include heads, cams, superchargers, turbochargers, rear end upgrades, etc.
Later
I guess since I'm not into modding and know virtually nothing about all the different parts/technology : that I feel as though I'm on the outside of a huge aquarium :yikes:and seeing all these different "items" !!! Seems the amount one can do is unlimited ; except one's money supply and thinking reservior !!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Later
Oh definitely. This is good for those (like me) who intend to modify their Challengers. Things should be out much quicker than would otherwise be the case since many of the aftermarket parts should have already been fleshed out on the Chargers and Magnums, except for cosmetic upgrades, where most companies will be basically be starting from scratch.

But the way I see it, there's not much to do on that end, aside from different hood options. The Challenger doesn't have such a conservative look where a body kit would add anything.

·
Administrator
3,745 Posts
I can see a lot of stuff on the Diablo Predator posted here when these cars start rolling out.

Rambit

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see a lot of stuff on the Diablo Predator posted here when these cars start rolling out.

Rambit
Oh yea! I am learning from the mods I am making to my 2007 SRT8 Charger and should be ahead of the game when I purchase a Challenger. I can hardly wait but I will need to for 2009s! Will be calling a dealer this Monday to talk details.
Later

·
Registered
174 Posts
I believe that the biggest obstacle to improved performance will be tuning, although the Predator flash tuner is now available. The engine hardware is not going to be a problem, since there are parts that were developed for the 5.7 and 6.1 Hemis. I would like to see Chrysler switch to a Mass Airflow system to allow a little more freedom in modding these cars without having to worry about getting the air/fuel ratio too far out of the normal operating range. I doubt that Chrysler would make that change, though, they have used Speed Density systems for as long as they have used Electronic Fuel Injection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gotta jump in on this one having some experience modding an SVT vehicle (yea I know the other guys) but this is a very exciting time for the MOPAR enthusiasts because you all are at the very beginning of what will be a horsepower frenzy for the new Challengers. There are already 2 supercharger kits available for the 5.7 and 6.1 HEMI engines. A MOPAR tuner company out of Calif. has been offering complete kits for the 6.1 HEMI that features a Paxton 1500 centrifugal supercharger and are boasting 500 RWHP & 507 RWTQ with 6 psi of boost. These kits have been adapted to the C300 and Charger vehicles for several years now so perhaps most of the bugs have been worked out. And this is only the beginning; wait until the hard core racers start figuring out ways to squeeze more power out of the new engines. I predict the Challenger could follow the same path as the fox and later Mustang did in terms of popularity, manufacturer support and after market products. Being an old school MOPAR gear head myself I will be watching to see what you guys do with these cars.
Mean while you better get used to the rear view of the sleeper Cobra in the next lane over. Because when the light turns green the tail lights is all you will see!:stickpoke:

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
yeah. there are alot of mods out for the 6.1 and 5.7 already. They take to mods very well. I think there are actually 4 or 5 supercharger/turbo options now. All of which make great power. With heads, cam, full exhaust and a supercharger you can easily expect close to 600rwhp out of these hemis.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Half shafts are the weak link....several companies are starting to produce stronger ones. Prices start at 2k plus install.......Can you say extended warranty please?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just bought a book named High-Performance New Hemi Builder's Guide: 2003 to present. It's got some great content on the 5.7 and 6.1 engines including performance mods. Good reading material while I wait on my 09 Chally. Check it out.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
^^^^^^How are the half shafts holding up under that much power?
They don't lol. You have to upgrade them after you start making about 550rwhp or so. But thats only if you're using drag radials. If you're using street tires you wont have problems because you wont have traction. Remember the challenger is getting a LSD, so it should be better equipped to handle the power. We will soon find out though.

·
Registered
885 Posts
On page 36 of the August 2008 issue of Mopar Action Magazine they have a story about how they nuked the half shafts and CV's on their project SRT-8 Magnum and the after market parts they used to replace them.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The horsepower quotes for the Challenger (375 RT, 425 SRT) are at the crank - right? Anyone have an estimate of RWHP?

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
They don't lol. You have to upgrade them after you start making about 550rwhp or so. But thats only if you're using drag radials. If you're using street tires you wont have problems because you wont have traction. Remember the challenger is getting a LSD, so it should be better equipped to handle the power. We will soon find out though.
I am looking for 18" Drag Radials....I have a set of R/T wheels......too many left over spare parts!

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
actually the srt's will make bout 370-390hp at the wheels. It doesnt have as much powertrain loss as the r/t

·
Registered
555 Posts
Most SRT cars with the Predator, CAI, and cat back exhaust make between 390-401 whp on our dyno. I assume the Automatic Challenger will make the same, and the 6 speed manual should show more power to the wheels because of less drivetrain loss.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts