Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Wasn't sure where to post this, but it is definately a regional problem, so here I am!

I was anxiously looking forward to my custom plates that I ordered from the DMV for my Challenger. My husband had talked me into them and we came up with "GO ELLIE" (kind of funny since I don't often "go", usually put only about 2,000 miles a year on my car). Eleanore is my middle name, which Ellie is short for. It is this name that most local people know me by. My first name is Eugenia or Genie for short. This confuses :scratchhead: a lot of people (using both names), so I thought I should clear that up! Whew!

When I received the plates, what a surprise! The metal is VERY thin-they actually arrived bent and we had to straighten them out as best as we could. But what is worse, the letters/numbers on the custom plates are no longer raised as they are on the regular plates. The best way I can describe this is to say they look sort of "fake". My husband recently got new "regular" plates and they are just fine.

I thought I would let you know in case you are expecting New York custom plates anytime soon. Just a "heads up"! :) Genie

·
Registered
268 Posts
At first i had the same opinion. Actually I like the new custom plates. They have sort of a semi gloss finish on them, are easier to clean and wax. When waxed they look very good.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I also like the smooth, glossy look.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Hi,

Wasn't sure where to post this, but it is definately a regional problem, so here I am!

I was anxiously looking forward to my custom plates that I ordered from the DMV for my Challenger. My husband had talked me into them and we came up with "GO ELLIE" (kind of funny since I don't often "go", usually put only about 2,000 miles a year on my car). Eleanore is my middle name, which Ellie is short for. It is this name that most local people know me by. My first name is Eugenia or Genie for short. This confuses :scratchhead: a lot of people (using both names), so I thought I should clear that up! Whew!

When I received the plates, what a surprise! The metal is VERY thin-they actually arrived bent and we had to straighten them out as best as we could. But what is worse, the letters/numbers on the custom plates are no longer raised as they are on the regular plates. The best way I can describe this is to say they look sort of "fake". My husband recently got new "regular" plates and they are just fine.

I thought I would let you know in case you are expecting New York custom plates anytime soon. Just a "heads up"! :) Genie
As far back as I can recall that has always been the case with personalized plates that the letters are not raised.

Here you go, Its been since 1995. http://nysdmv.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nysdmv.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=257&p_created=1003080643&p_topview=1

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far back as I can recall that has always been the case with personalized plates that the letters are not raised.

Here you go, Its been since 1995. Plates with "Flat" Letters and Numbers
Hi,

I see what you mean. I was not aware of this as my daughter got custom plates sometime after 2005 and hers have raised letters--I guess she was just lucky! I had custom plates so long ago (about 25 years or more) and they had raised letters also, so I guess this didn't apply at that time. The only thing that really bothers me is that they are so thin and got bent. It is most noticeable on the front plate (we straightened it, but it isn't perfect) but if I put a frame around it, that might help it look better. Thanks for the input! :) Genie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts