Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new 2013 Challenger R/T Plus has only 2,100 miles on it and I was driving up the hill from my house and I hear a clang sound and then my check engine light comes on :/ I took it to the local dealer (who has excellent reviews on Yelp) and they told me that the code was pointing to the Transmission and that it had a problem shifting between 3 & 4th gear and that the code was from 600 miles ago? I asked how a code from 600 miles ago is related to a check engine light that just happened yesterday. The answer I got was that the computer logged to code and tried to fix the problem and when it couldn't (600 miles later) it turned on the CEL. Sounds fishy to me. I also got out of the service manager that it could be a valve in the transmission. They cleared the CEL and told me if it happens again they will pull the tranny apart and look further. I took it out for a long 1.5 hour drive through the mountains today putting the car through Auto mode, Sprots mode, and Manual mode and no problems and no CEL. Anyone have this happen? Thanks!

EDIT******* Sorry Auto Transmission :p

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Not trying to be discouraging, but a brand new car giving a code and making noise that it probably shouldnt.... I may see what my options are on a different one. Did you order this car or was it on lot?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I ordered it. The dealer told me the code but I didn't write it down. I drove the hell out of it for 1.5 hours in the mountains with no problems and since then no CEL. I am just chalking it up to a software glitch. I have the extended warranty so I am not going to lose any sleep over it. The car drives like a dream and my dealer seems to be a good one. I will follow up if it happens again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check engine light came back on and the dealer opened up the transmission and found metal burs in the valve that shifts the 3rd and 4th gear. They pulled the valve, cleaned it, and refilled the transmission. The CEL is gone and everything is back to normal. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Good deal. Glad it happened a second time so quickly and hopefully they have fixed it so you can relax and enjoy that beast.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Check engine light came back on and the dealer opened up the transmission and found metal burs in the valve that shifts the 3rd and 4th gear. They pulled the valve, cleaned it, and refilled the transmission. The CEL is gone and everything is back to normal. :bigthumb:
Doesn't sound good to me, bet there is more PAIN in your future.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doesn't sound good to me, bet there is more PAIN in your future.
I am not worried about it. I have the extended warranty and my dealer is a good one so it's covered for the life of the car. :king:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finding junk in a trans like that is almost never good. Bet this thread is not over.
Your correct but I still hate you :p :domotwak:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Code P0730 Incorrect gear ratio ........ simple explanation replace TCM, Check connections, check pins, check valve body and inspect transmission for damage.

Last time they cleaned the valve body and that was all, This time they pulled the valve body and checked the TCM, connections, and inspected the transmission for damage. They put in a new valve body and it's ready for pick up. When I got the CEL the car went into limp mode but I was able to restart it and drive to the dealer. I have the life time warranty and if it happens again I'll get the manager involved a demand a new transmission. Either way it is getting fixed and for free.

I do not need any doom sayers telling me I'll have more problems down the road. So in advance STFU and bug someone else or I'll :fight: kick your butt.

That is what a warranty is for....

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Code P0730 Incorrect gear ratio ........ simple explanation replace TCM, Check connections, check pins, check valve body and inspect transmission for damage.

Last time they cleaned the valve body and that was all, This time they pulled the valve body and checked the TCM, connections, and inspected the transmission for damage. They put in a new valve body and it's ready for pick up. When I got the CEL the car went into limp mode but I was able to restart it and drive to the dealer. I have the life time warranty and if it happens again I'll get the manager involved a demand a new transmission. Either way it is getting fixed and for free.

I do not need any doom sayers telling me I'll have more problems down the road. So in advance STFU and bug someone else or I'll :fight: kick your butt.

That is what a warranty is for....
Bring it on tough guy-just for that, I think I'll put a curse on your trans-expect more pain.:grim:

And lifetime warantees mean ZERO, if the cost gets too high, they'll just give you your money back and then the FUN really begins. Extended warantees are generally a waste.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did a search and it seems to be a fairly common issue with dodge transmissions. I also did a search of your name and this came up ...... strange

:pokeowned:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
A little update....

The dealer fixed it and reported to me that the exact same problem had occurred between 3rd and 4th gear in the valve body. This time instead of cleaning it out and putting it back in they put in a new valve body. The service manager told me if it happens again they will replace the transmission with a new one :thanks:

I posted this information to be helpful to other users so please 3boystoys move on to another thread. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
5 Participants
Moonblink
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing