Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Catalytic converter recall done on my 2016 Challenger Hellcat about 2 months ago.
Every thing was fine, ran like it did before. Last night ourt of the blue, the Check engine lite came on,
and the engine "sounded like" it is running rough, with a flutter like sound from the exhuaust, but
the flutter is more under the car not in the back exhaust exit.
I ran diagnostics getting a P2098 ( engine control module (ECM) detecting the post catalytic
O2 sensor fuel trim is testing too lean on a two trip minimum to set the code. left bank)

1) The ECM is detecting the pre catalytic O2 sensor not working correctly and
then monitors the post catalytic O2 sensor to see if the problem correlates to the
pre catalytic O2 sensor on a two trip requirement.
2) The exhaust may have a leak or engine problem before the pre catalytic sensor.
3) The engine may have mechanical or fuel related issues causing the code.
4) The O2 sensor wiring or sensor is the failure.

The engine runs rough and has a flutter like sound from the exhaust. This like a leak?
The engine light and sound came on suddently out of the blue. Something done during this
catalytic converter change had to of caused this, the car ran fine, check engine light had
never come on before this. I pulled fuse 31 for five minutes and the check engine light
is off, but the flutter sound is still there. Its hard to tell if the engine really is running
rough or it just sounds this way.

Anyone have any comments/suggestions? I will be bringing it to the dealer tommorrow.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,090 Posts
That doesn’t sound good.....no pun intended. I’m sure you’re thinking this already, but I’d inspect everything that was touched in the recall procedure and verify it is all good. Good luck.

·
Registered
2021 Redeye
358 Posts
This is the reason why I never take my car to the dealership even if it's for free oil changes, they can keep their free oil.
Glad you found your problem.👍

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That doesn’t sound good.....no pun intended. I’m sure you’re thinking this already, but I’d inspect everything that was touched in the recall procedure and verify it is all good. Good luck.
Ohh you haven't heard the BEST part. I got the recall notification, and didn't really care. The reason the car was at the dealer is the A/C Evaporator coil was leaking, $4500. I told them, I had it in here months ago for this and you topped off and said all good! ...So, they did give me a "good faith warranty" $500 deductible all I paid. The Evap coil is not quick,, so I didn't mention the recall so as to not possibly have them keep it over a weekend. HOWEVER, without asking or telling me, they did the cat. recall, changed them both. This was 2 months ago, the day I picked it up, my wind shield wipers were dead! (of course it rained and I'm in "the hood") So rain ends, and I saw the wiper motor had nothing plugged into it. I expected to see the plug hanging rite there....nope, they had undone 2 feet of clamping it was on other side, hanging almost to he ground very near the exhaust. Run the wire, Clip back in place, plug in...all is good. Till last nite check engine lite, and exhaust sounds odd, now I see the 2 header bolts....GONE. Since tis an obvious sound I have to assume there were on, but loose.

SO you say "I’d inspect everything that was touched in the recall procedure and verify it is all good",,,,,,AND everything they touched in the evaporator coil replace....which entials removing the dash!! and I don't even know what else! Obviously the wiper motor. Basically i can't inspect it all!. They took the dash off! ugh, people always freak out on that....so much to go wrong.

But to slap on two nuts should not take over one day (it shouldn't take 10 minutes). For certain I'm going to be pretty hard nosed they check everything for all the good it will do.

This is the reason why I never take my car to the dealership even if it's for free oil changes, they can keep their free oil.
Glad you found your problem.👍
If I hadn't taken it to the dealer I'd a paid $4500 instead of $500 for the A/C evap coil, and who else does recalls? I didn't really care about that recall on the cats, but, it prolly would of bit me at inspection time, or eventually check eng lighted. Other than DIY, where else can you take it? one places is just as bad as the other. Even if you find an awesome shop? its the mechanic not the shop, whos to say he doesn't quit and.....go to work at the dealer, or vice versa, of the bad tech at the dealer doesn't get on at the new awesome shop you find. there is no easy answer.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,090 Posts
May be time to reach out to Dodge to report this unfortunate string of events.... and shaky work.

·
Registered
2020 R/T Scat Pack 1320 edition
114 Posts
What bunch of idiots. Dealership can't even do simple things correctly.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had the evaporator replaced on my old 300M. Here's a photo of someone doing it on their 300M. The evaporator is inside the black plastic housing on the passenger side. When I saw his picture I decided to pay to have it done vs. doing it myself. I did take a bunch of photos before taking the car to an independent AC shop that I knew other people used & was highly recommended. Even then the steering wheel ended up getting a small scuff & they cracked a small tab that held a piece of console trim.
Vehicle Auto part Trunk Car Engine
Trunk Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Bumper

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd like to reach out to Dodge. But? what good would it really do?....then it may cause this dealer to hate me. Even if Dodge refunded me that $500 deductible, it would not be worth that to burn a bridge. They've been really really good except for this and very nice on top of that. They bend rules not alot but, a good bit, for me. And, they are literally on my street I live, less than a half mile away. The nearest other Dealer is, not so much far...12-15 miles but, Traffic here? That can be a LONG 12 miles.

·
Registered
2021 Redeye
358 Posts
If I hadn't taken it to the dealer I'd a paid $4500 instead of $500 for the A/C evap coil, and who else does recalls? I didn't really care about that recall on the cats, but, it prolly would of bit me at inspection time, or eventually check eng lighted. Other than DIY, where else can you take it? one places is just as bad as the other. Even if you find an awesome shop? its the mechanic not the shop, whos to say he doesn't quit and.....go to work at the dealer, or vice versa, of the bad tech at the dealer doesn't get on at the new awesome shop you find. there is no easy answer.
Well I guess I should've said that I avoid dealership as much as possible. I understand a liability recall but with the cats I wouldn't have done it. States having vehicle inspections is a different story, no inspections in my state and this is why we have POS vehicles on the street(n)

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I guess I should've said that I avoid dealership as much as possible. I understand a liability recall but with the cats I wouldn't have done it. States having vehicle inspections is a different story, no inspections in my state and this is why we have POS vehicles on the street(n)
Oh if it wasn't a state inspection issue and free I'd hack off the Cats. I don't know about where you are but here, a decent 3rd party shop, is hard to find (and again its usually the person at the shop not the shop). Then when you do find one, they cost as much as the dealer or more, with no loaner car. There's one dealer here if you say "WEB shop" at the parts counter, its a good bit cheaper than even rockauto.com. www.mymoparparts.com, is right out of Dallas Dodge dealership and under 10 minutes from where I live.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts