Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 RT Plus automatic with just over 30000 km and my check engine light came on. Just wondering if Dodge sets that up so you get you injectors flushed?
Any ideas if that engine light can be reset by the owner? Been running 87 octane for entire life of car.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
151 Posts
MIL(Malfunction Indicator Light, or "check engine) shows the need to have any number of faults looked at. Octane will not cause it to light, a loose gascap can. Go to any car parts store that offers frre scanning and that will tell you what the issue is. AS LONG AS IT IS NOT FLASHING, you can operate the vehicle for short periods of time without any problems. A flashing MIL is indicating a major malfunction that can lead to melted catalytic converters or vehicle fires.

It can be a minor as the gascap being loose. One of the the systems the ECU monitors, is the evaporative emissions system. the ECU will track the ambient temperature and check the fuel tank for expected pressure differences. If it does not find them, it will light the MIL indicating a possible malfunction. One cause of this is a loose gas cap. the funniest reason I ever heard of was someone installed an amp using 3" screws and put holes in the top of the gas tank. Good luck and post back what you find.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting points regarding ambient temp.. I was running an almost empty gas tank at the time. Filled it up and still have the light on. Sounds like picking up a code reader is a good start.Thanks for quick response

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Error Code P0307 was the culprit.
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0307 Cylinder 7 Seven Misfire Detected.

Probably a result of using crappy gas and the injectors getting clogged,

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use this and my smart phone. http://actronuscan.com
Allows you to get the code and clear it as well as monitoring all sensors. Plugs into diagnostic port under dash near the parking brake.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,986 Posts
Error Code P0307 was the culprit.
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0307 Cylinder 7 Seven Misfire Detected.

Probably a result of using crappy gas and the injectors getting clogged,
Now you get to spend some of the money you (probably have not) saved buying 87 octane gasoline instead of premium.

Probably time to treat the engine to a bottle (or two) of Techron. Use according to directions. After the fuel with the Techron added is down to say the 1/4 tank level do another bottle and fill up the tank again. After the tank level gets low enough to refuel consider changing the oil and filter.

Then my advice is you should run 91 octane gasoline. Besides allowing the timing to be advanced which makes the engine more efficient and probably deliver better gas mileage than you were getting with the 87 octane gasoline premium gasoline also contains detergents which help keep the fuel system and engine free of deposits.

Also, you might want to consider new plugs. The ones in there now might have suffered from the elevated exhaust gas temperatures that arise from running too low an octane of gasoline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts