Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a check engine light for my 2014 Dodge Challenger srt8. Has 16k miles on it. Code is p2097, which I looked up and says Code P2097 stands for post catalyst fuel trim system too rich bank 1, indicates the downstream bank 1 O2 sensor is registering a rich condition.

Any advice on how to check what might be causing this? I have noticed my gas running out faster. I would like to try to fix it myself before taking it somewhere and paying a hefty price for labor. I have reset the light and it came back on within an hour.

thanks guys

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
860 Posts
YouTube it. Someone has probably had that come up.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
505 Posts
Exhaust leak, bad catalytic converter, and bad O2 sensor all come to mind.

This code is for the O2 sensor after the catalytic converter, the 'upstream' O2 sensor tells the engine if it is rich/lean. Are there any other symptoms? Is the reduced mileage a hard fact, or is it anecdotal?

Get underneath and check for exhaust leaks, that is the cheapest thing to do first. Then swap the O2 sensor side to side. See if the problem follows the O2 sensor to the other bank. That will tell you if it is the sensor or the converter.

I know you are a few years out of the factory warranty. Emission problems sometimes have longer warranty periods. I found this article which says the manufacturer has to provide a longer warranty for these types of problems. So if you do the basic troubleshooting and it is pointing to the catalytic converter, you might be able to get it covered.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,172 Posts
Possible Causes
EXHAUST SYSTEM LEAK
UPSTREAM O2 SENSOR WIRING ISSUE
UPSTREAM O2 SENSOR
DOWNSTREAM O2 SENSOR WIRING ISSUE
DOWNSTREAM O2 SENSOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

This is a bank 1 (side with #1 cylinder) P2099 would be bank 2 (bank with #2 cylinder)

You can access the Chilton online manual

2014> Dodge> Challenger> Repair> In search box P2097

Result will be P2097-Downstream Fuel Trim System 1 Rich

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,443 Posts
Got a check engine light for my 2014 Dodge Challenger srt8. Has 16k miles on it. Code is p2097, which I looked up and says Code P2097 stands for post catalyst fuel trim system too rich bank 1, indicates the downstream bank 1 O2 sensor is registering a rich condition.

Any advice on how to check what might be causing this? I have noticed my gas running out faster. I would like to try to fix it myself before taking it somewhere and paying a hefty price for labor. I have reset the light and it came back on within an hour.

thanks guys
The link below provides some good detail on the condition:

The car's emissions system hardware is covered by an 8 years 80K miles federally mandated warranty. What exactly is covered is determined by cost. The more expensive hardware, like converters, is covered. O2 sensors are probably not covered as they are not that "expensive".

While the O2 sensor is likely not covered you want this diagnosed in case it is a converter or PCM problem. These two items are rather expensive this based on my 2nd hand info.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,715 Posts
Probably either that O2 sensor, OR the upstream one. If the upstream one is failing, it will well then engine to run rich/lean incorrectly, and the down stream one is picking it up.
OR stuck fuel injector allowing too much fuel. Since it is 1 side only, and too rich, probably not a leak anywhere in anything.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,443 Posts
Probably either that O2 sensor, OR the upstream one. If the upstream one is failing, it will well then engine to run rich/lean incorrectly, and the down stream one is picking it up.
OR stuck fuel injector allowing too much fuel. Since it is 1 side only, and too rich, probably not a leak anywhere in anything.
The engine controller constantly checks the #1 O2 sensor is functioning correctly. This can be indirectly observed if one monitors the #1 O2 sensor voltage levels. They go up and down at idle about every second (more frequently as engine speed goes up) as the engine controller changes the air fuel mixture -- ever so slightly -- and looks for a corresponding change in the voltage level from the #1 O2 sensor.

If the #1 sensor was acting up enough to cause the #2 sensor to trigger a CEL the CEL would be triggered for the #1 sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts