Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came on today on my way home from work...the temp outside is 15-20 with 0 degree wind chill.
I have a 180 degree themo and wondering if that could be the problem...seemed like it never really warmed up even after an hour on the freeway.
Here's a pic of the gauge...the car had been running for 45 minutes at 75 mph. Gonna get the code read tomorrow but was wondering everyone's thoughts. It usually never gets below 40 degrees here so it's obviously connected.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a P0128 which is a thermostat problem/coolant, engine not reaching operation range. I've had several cars with 180 Tstats and no problems...but it is colder than it's been in a decade here.
Gonna reinstall stock tstat till summer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Btw, when I posted the original post I had forgotten we can read the codes on these cars.
I guess pulling the #2 fuse will clear the code?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Btw, when I posted the original post I had forgotten we can read the codes on these cars.
I guess pulling the #2 fuse will clear the code?
I thought the #2 fuse was only for the learning adaptives?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
It's a P0128 which is a thermostat problem/coolant, engine not reaching operation range. I've had several cars with 180 Tstats and no problems...but it is colder than it's been in a decade here.
Gonna reinstall stock tstat till summer.
I had a 180 thermostat on my Charger and ended up with that 'low coolant temp' code a few times on cold days. And that's in LA where we often wear shorts and T-shirts in the winter. So I'm keeping the stock Tstat because of that on my DD Challenger. IIRC I could clear codes just by pulling the fuse on that previous gen Charger, but I think it would go away on its own after a few cycles anyway.

·
Super Moderator
15,023 Posts
The 180* plus the unusually low temps are likely - the aluminum heads will lose a lot of heat, especially in those conditions.

The ODB-II system has a set amount of time to reach closed loop status and have coolant reach the +110* (or so) range, so it probably took longer to get both those modes and that set a DTC.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bout to pull this 180 tstat...I sat and let my car warm up for 30 minutes and it barely moved off of 170.
It just will not warm up. Could the stat be stuck open? It was 32 here this morning.

1,931 Posts
The stat might be sticking or opening to soon but I doubt it. More than likely the dash gauge is not reading correctly...very notorious for that....do you have digital water temp in your EVIC? Again, I sure wouldn't go to the trouble to remove the stat..nothing being hurt and it will benefit the power in the summer..

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Bout to pull this 180 tstat...I sat and let my car warm up for 30 minutes and it barely moved off of 170.
It just will not warm up. Could the stat be stuck open? It was 32 here this morning.
Possible but more likely it's not operating at 180. I ran a 173 degree stat and it did the same thing on cold mornings. Maybe your stat is opening at 175 or so.
Like others stated, I wouldn't bother changing it, spring is just around the corner (yeah right...).
The benefits will far out weigh the cel (no performance decline) soon as the temps in you neck of the woods climb.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Supposed to get 80 in Austin this weekend so hopefully the worst is behind us...

·
Registered
442 Posts
too cool temp

i would want the motor to operate in the correct temperature range.....you want your oil to reach the correct temperatures so condensation inside the engine and in the oil will evaporate and go out the tail pipes. too cold and your motor will build sludge....(maybe i misunderstood the post, if so i apologize, (but too cold is almost just as bad as too hot)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Check your fan settings as these will affect the engine temps more than the t-stat alone. You can run the 180 t-stat if your fans are set high enough in the winter. If you have a tune in it, most of these reset the fans to a lower temp.
Just a thought.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No tune yet. In the summer the temp was always 180-185 until I hit traffic and it would go up to 200ish. Since it's been cold it won't warm up...even in summer on the freeway the temp would get low to like 175.
I'm sure it will be ok when spring comes...but still seems like it should at least get to 180 while sitting still.

When it had the oem stat u couldn't stand in the garage with it due to the engine heat (after shutting it off)...with the 180 it no longer heats the garage at all.

I've sat to try and let it warm up before leaving but doesn't warm up...needle barely moves after 20 min.
I've driven it in manual mode (someone suggested it) might have helped a tad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts