Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed the Jet 180 thermostat about a week ago. Used my Predator to lower the fan settings 20 degrees all across the board. Just got the check engine light. Used my Predator to check the code, and sure enough, it came back with the thermostat message. Something along the lines of, the temp being too low. So anyway I erased the code, but I'm sure it will come back later. What to do now? Adjust the fan settings to something different? Re-install the OEM stat, until summer time? I'm near the San Francisco area. It never gets that cold out here.... :scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
always test a thermostat before you install it. on the hemi, if it doesn't reach 180 in a certain amount of time, it will trigger a MIL.

maybe you have a bad thermostat, or maybe it is just under the 180 mark? or maybe your fans are set too low?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just thinking, I've heard you have to bleed the air out after installing the new thermostat. I didn't do that step, and now wondering if that could have something to do with the check engine light coming on....

·
Registered
532 Posts
The only time I get that code is if the outside temp is 35F or colder. If you let the car warm up to operating temp before driving it you won't get the code.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ditto on the warm up - I've only got the code once, and that was when I started up and immediately drove off after the car sat all day. About 10 minutes later I got a CEL. Got home, did the Predator thing - sure enough, the engine didn't hit the computer's desired operating temp within a specified time. Cleared the code. Every since, let it warm up for about 5 mins, after that - all good.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I get it when I don't let the car warm up. If you have the remote start fire it up as you head out the door. Seems just a little time helps quite a bit. Since I've been doing the warm up no more codes.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
i installed the autozone 4128 tstat and it threw that code a lot- usually when the temps were below 55 degrees. Its supposed to be a 180 degree tstat.

I replaced it with a NAPA tstat (dont remember the number) and it ran about 185 degrees and it hardly ever thows codes. it will every once in a blue moon but its much less frequent than the autozone stat

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I used the Autozone (Motorad) 180 thermostat and it lowered the coolant temperature enough that I was satisfied so I never lowered the fan temperatures. I've never pulled a code and it's been over a year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I erased the trouble code withe my Predator. 2 days later after driving the car for about 30 minutes, letting it sit for about 2 hours, then starting it back up, there it is again, the dreaded check engine light. The temp was 54 degrees outside. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I dont want to have to do this every time I start up the car. I'm thinking of going back to the OEM thermostat.....:icon_mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts