Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. I just noticed that my 2012 RT had the orange engine symbol stayed on after I started up the car, also noticed that my on dash outside temp reading had no numbers to show outside temp. I drove a few blocks and got home and disconnected the positive battery terminal for 20 seconds and reconnected it and nothing changed.
Does anyone know what's going on ?
Thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
Good evening. I just noticed that my 2012 RT had the orange engine symbol stayed on after I started up the car, also noticed that my on dash outside temp reading had no numbers to show outside temp. I drove a few blocks and got home and disconnected the positive battery terminal for 20 seconds and reconnected it and nothing changed.
Does anyone know what's going on ?
Thanks
What code(s) are stored?

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
the 00039 in the IP cluster is indicate of low system voltage -

Have the original battery? Time to get it load tested, might be on the way out.

If the battery seems alright, then charging system should be looked at.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it ok to drive with the P00073 code fora while until there's a warmer day to remove bumper ? Why the F¥€|< would the make it so complicated to get to such a small part ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the 00039 in the IP cluster is indicate of low system voltage -

Have the original battery? Time to get it load tested, might be on the way out.

If the battery seems alright, then charging system should be looked at.
I think the 39 code is due to me removing battery terminal. The real code I got is P00073 ambient temp sensor

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heater works fine and AC works fine , so do I really need to pull off my whole front number in freezing temps as though this code is a death certificate for my ride ? Would driving with Ambient temp sensor faulty cause any performance issues?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
Heater works fine and AC works fine , so do I really need to pull off my whole front number in freezing temps as though this code is a death certificate for my ride ? Would driving with Ambient temp sensor faulty cause any performance issues?
Thanks
I had to change one on my 2012 when I had it. It is possible to change without removing the bumper. Dealer wanted to remove the bumper so I gave it a try myself and found a way. If you get one of these trim tools of the correct size it will just fit through one of the squares in the grille. (or you might be able to use two thin tools of some kind simultaneously to grab and pull the center peg on the retainer). Use it to pop out the center piece in the retainer. Pull off the plastic trim piece on top with the cup holder. You (or find someone with smaller hands) can then squeeze your hand down enough to get to the wire and pull it up enough to disconnect the sensor and replace it. Use the trim tool or a flat screwdriver to align the sensor and push the center pin back in. Took me about 20 minutes to finagle everything but it can be done without much trouble. Tip: it turned out my sensor was OK but a rabbit chewed the wire. You might want to check for critters beforehand.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks man , I just saw your post now...lol
We think alike. I've been looking at ways to unplug it as you said , but it's so Freaking Cold outside.
I can do it with a needle nose and screw driver and yes I've been seeing a rabbit hiding under my car and it just might be time for rabbit stew

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
Thanks man , I just saw your post now...lol
We think alike. I've been looking at ways to unplug it as you said , but it's so Freaking Cold outside.
I can do it with a needle nose and screw driver and yes I've been seeing a rabbit hiding under my car and it just might be time for rabbit stew
Yeah, my rabbit though the front bumper cover was a nice home. He also ate through the side marker wire.

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
I think the 39 code is due to me removing battery terminal. The real code I got is P00073 ambient temp sensor
I had 000039 display due to battery having a bad cell = low voltage. Disconnecting had nothing to do with it, unless the connection isn't secure or there's corrosion.

Disconnecting the battery doesn't clear codes - they are stored in the PCM. If the fault still exists it will still display MIL and have the code. You have to use a scan tool to clear codes.

if its an intermittent condition and stays normal, after a few key cycles it can clear itself...until the fault condition re-appears.

The system compares Ambient Air Temp reading to Intake Air Temp - your code is that the AAT is greater than IAT, which isn't typical and is setting that code.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had 000039 display due to battery having a bad cell = low voltage. Disconnecting had nothing to do with it, unless the connection isn't secure or there's corrosion.

Disconnecting the battery doesn't clear codes - they are stored in the PCM. If the fault still exists it will still display MIL and have the code. You have to use a scan tool to clear codes.

if its an intermittent condition and stays normal, after a few key cycles it can clear itself...until the fault condition re-appears.

The system compares Ambient Air Temp reading to Intake Air Temp - your code is that the AAT is greater than IAT, which isn't typical and is setting that code.
Will driving it this way affect performance or damage anything ?
I can't get to it now due to Cold weather outside

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
Will driving it this way affect performance or damage anything ?
I can't get to it now due to Cold weather outside
You'll probably by okay - serious OBD II faults will produce a flashing check engine light.

Probably just have some hit in MPG since it might be running more on base calibration rather than in full closed-loop operation.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts